Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79813 - 06/17/08 04:36 PM Harsh Times
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
This film seemed like a blip on the radar screen when it was released in theaters. Interesting, considering Bale’s star is rising and his name recognition has increased since Batman. Having seen Bale put in some pretty intense performances, I was anxious to see this movie when it was released on DVD.

So here I sit, less than 24 hours after I watched it (last night) and I’m not sure how to explain this movie or if I would recommend it to my fellow Outlaws – even to hardcore Bale fans.

Bale’s character dominates the movie; so in most respects, its success or failure rests with how convincingly he pulls you into his tortured psyche and makes the viewer understand how he does, or does not, fit in the world around him.

I read a couple reviews on Amazon that compare this movie, and Bale’s character, Jim Davis, to Taxi Driver. Unfortunately, Travis Bickle he ain’t. Though the characters follow the same formula -- slowly degrading to the point where they lose touch with reality and go berserk -- Bickle succeeds, because there’s some continuity from start to finish. We can follow Bickle slowly crumbling before our eyes until the violent climax at the end of the film.

In comparison, Jim Davis’ fit in the Latino gang world of Los Angeles seems bizarre from the get-go. Add to that the often forced-sounding street lingo Bales rattles off throughout the film, and he begins to fall into the same camp as Vanilla Ice or Eminem: a white boy trying to be “boyz in da’ hood.” With the viewer struggling to get past the hood-poseur shtick, Davis never seems totally legit’. Lastly, unlike Bickle, where you can clearly follow the mental fault lines as they develop, getting in sync with Bale's treatment of Davis' breakdown is like driving around lost: Just where the hell are we going and when are we going to get there?

The movie had its moments, and there were a couple good shoot ‘em up scenes to keep things lively. The bass track was interesting too. One scene included a bass-thumping low rider rolling through. My normally taut LFM-1 rendered the bass notes with a strange sense of realism: a big, muddy mess -- just like those crap car stereos you hear at traffic lights.

Best,

- VD
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#79814 - 06/17/08 06:27 PM Re: Harsh Times
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maine
The Machinist is another Bale flic. Watching the special features gives you great insight to how he had to get to his character's physique. Very scary. Watch the Machinist then Batman, hardly recognizable.
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60

#79815 - 06/17/08 07:24 PM Re: Harsh Times
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

I've seen The Machinist and was very impressed. I did not watch the special features -- I'll have to do that soon. I did read an interview with him when he made the film and he talked about the extreme weight loss. Unbelieveable.

Anyway, that role, and others like "American Psycho," set the bar pretty high and may have been an unfair point of comparison to "Harsh Times."

But having seen what he's capable of, IMHO "Harsh Times" just fell a bit flat and was not one of his better castings.

Best,

- VD
System Pics

#79816 - 06/19/08 04:39 PM Re: Harsh Times
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
There should be some kind of Academy Award for what Bale did to himself for " Machinist"
I find myself seeking all Christian Bale movies based on that one performance alone.
Another movie with Bale I seek on DVD is " Treasure Island " with Charelton Heston.Great Movie all around, yet unavailable on DVD.

#79817 - 06/19/08 05:44 PM Re: Harsh Times
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Bill O:

In the interview with Bale I mention up-thread, I recall that when he was asked if he would ever lose weight for a role like that again, his response was basically "No." Been there, done that and "He would not want to be known as that actor who loses weight."

Interestingly enough, he turned around and did the same thing for his role in "Rescue Dawn."

I have not seen this flick, but I understand it is very powerful.
System Pics

#79818 - 06/19/08 07:45 PM Re: Harsh Times
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maine
Bale has an intensity and edge to him. I find the best actors (especially male) are the roles where you lose perspective of the actor. Number one favorite actor to watch--Gary Oldman. Once you starting listing off movies he's done, a common response..."That was him?!"
True Romance--Pimp
The Professional--Bad Cop
Immortal Beloved--Beethoven
Bram Stoker's Dracula--the Count of course
Lost In Space--Dr. Smith
to name a few

If you get a chance, track down "Nil by Mouth" (1997). A must see film! Written, directed, and produced by Oldman. Very intense film. Make sure you watch the very end to see the dedication tag. Reveals the intent of the film. Very impacting.
"Nil By Mouth was listed by Time Out as number two of the top 50 best British films ever."

Enough of Gary. Bale is able to shed his personal identity and create some solid and believable characters.

Here's a good topic thread: Male Actors you can't watch.
Top of my list:
Tom Cruise
I forced myself to watch "War of the Worlds" only because my g-friends daughter had it. Great movie for bass. Cruise--tolerable. My distaste for Cruise mostly stems from his philosophical expressions (publicly).
Ben Affleck--flat, flat, flat
However, is directorial debut is a great movie! "Gone Baby Gone", one of the best films for supporting cast. The South Boston characters are incredibly realistic and gritty. Leading role Casey Affleck (younger brother) was very well done.

Good food for thought.

I will have to Netflix "Rescue Dawn". I haven't heard of this one. Good suggestion. BTW--what was Bale film with the dragons?

AK
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60

#79819 - 06/19/08 08:44 PM Re: Harsh Times
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

The dragon movie was "Reign of Fire." Can't say that I've seen it (thought I caught the last 5 minutes or so on cable once) but it's one of the few films I can think of wher Bales speaks in his native accent. He's British, which is easy to forget, since he plays so many American characters so convincingly.

Coincidentally, I learned about "Nil by Mouth" just within the past couple weeks by way of an interview with Ray Winstone, who I really enjoyed in "Sexy Beast." It's on my Amazon wish list so I don't forget to order it!

Male actors I can't stand to watch... hmmmm... Cruise is up there too, but dog gone it! I hate to admit the guy can put in some good performances. I enjoyed Collateral and War of the Worlds. Apart from him, I would have to add:
George Clooney
David Caruso
Hayden Christensen
Martin Lawrence
Mark Harmon
System Pics

#79820 - 06/19/08 09:09 PM Re: Harsh Times
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Gary Oldman is a tremendous actor - and "that was him?" definitely is a common reaction. I'll toss in a few more to reinforce it: Batman Begins (Gordon), Harry Potter (Sirius Black), and Fifth Element (Zorg).

#79821 - 06/20/08 01:26 AM Re: Harsh Times
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
Gary Oldman even played Sid Vicious in '' Sid & Nancy ''

even sinking his teeth in to one hell of a rendition of ''I wanna be your dog ''on the soundtrack...
he made it his own....
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#79822 - 06/20/08 05:44 PM Re: Harsh Times
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Oldman was incredible in Sid & Nancy. I remember one scene when he was on a subway and he was coughing and wheezing like he had this terrible cold. So Oldman sneezes up this huge ball of snot all over himself. Gross, but took realism to a whole new level. laugh
System Pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts