Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7980 - 01/21/04 12:11 PM A lil help please
Zdog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Arcadia,Florida,USA
Ok, I am semi new to HT I and making a HT out of my garage because I want one and thats whats available the space is small 11 x 17 I am thinking of a BenQ 8700 Projector.. that leaves me around $5000 for reciever/speakers... Before I started this project I thought I knew a lil bit about this stuff.. I now know I know SQUATT! Pre vs reciever and so on... Bose who at the begining was the bad boy on the block IMO now I know their for old people I would like to have 7.1 surround in this room... I looked at PSB and Polk LSI speakers... I really need some assistance here... Any of you that can give input to my project would be more than welcome PLEASE!!! I think I am going with the 950/7100 but not sure what i can get with whats left.. should I buy better electronics and less speakers or even it out... and if anyone is good at design the room is 11 wide and 17 deep with the door in the middle of the back wall... I will have a wall screen in the front at 100" dig. .. oh well please any input is welcome!! zstat@getmuddy.net .. thnx

#7981 - 01/21/04 12:53 PM Re: A lil help please
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Glad to have you here, Zdog. Don't underestimate the potential of your small space -- this recent article might interest you (a 10'x11' dedicated theater).

So you have a $5000 budget for electronics and speakers? Does that include a DVD player? I would suggest not skimping on the speakers -- they are a critical piece of the signal path, and cutting corners there can negate a lot of investments upstream. There are a number of good, reasonably priced brands available: Energy, Boston Acoustics, and Axiom all are well-represented here in the forum, just to name a few, and PSB and Polk are also certainly worth listening to. As much as possible, demo some of the speakers using your own listening material before deciding, because speakers can often boil down to a matter of personal taste. The 950/7100 combo will take $1675 including shipping, leaving you over $3000 for speakers, DVD player, and cabling. That budget should very easily cover a good 7.1 speaker set, a good player, some sort of power conditioner/surge protector (Brickwall, TrippLite, and Panamax are all regularly mentioned around here), a big batch of 12ga speaker cable to run through your walls, and the cabling needed to hook it all up (video to the BenQ, digital audio from DVD to pre/pro, analog audio for pre/pro to amp and for any other sources like DVD-Audio, SACD, or what-not).

Some other thoughts...
Pre/pro vs. receiver -- the pre/pro and amp separates route will allow you more flexibility in any future upgrades, which can be a very good thing.
DVD players -- there are a number of universal (DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD) players popping up. Pioneer has their entry-level universal player (the DV-563) priced under $200, Denon has a very nice-looking player (the DVD-2200) priced under $600, and Yamaha has a new entry coming in March (the DVD-S1500) that will retail for around $400. I'm contemplating the Yamaha myself, but will wait to see what initial reactions are.
Interconnects: Outlaw's PCA's and PSC's (and the new PSSV) are quite nice cables. The PDO optical (if you need one) is a no-brainer in my opinion -- a 1.8-meter optical cable as well built as their is tough to beat at two or three times the $20 they sell 'em for.
Speakers: I am still very happy with my Paradigm Reference speakers; after almost three years, they've become something of a fixture in my system. Recently, I used some Axiom speakers to expand to 7.1 without breaking the bank, and I feel that Axiom has some speakers that compare very favorably to the Paradigm Reference stuff at a price that would easily fit your budget. Both are somewhat typical Canadian speakers -- if when demoing speakers, you find that you like Paradigm and some of the other Canadian speakers, you might consider looking closely at Axiom. Since they only sell online, it is hard to get to listen to them before you buy.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#7982 - 01/21/04 01:21 PM Re: A lil help please
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Zdog:
If I may add to what gonk has outlined here, it will be DIY projects. If you don’t mind some soldering and light assembling, you can get yourself some high quality speakers and IC cables at average price or even lower.
http://www.madisound.com/
http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000069.html
I have the above two (and other DIY stuff) and I’d highly recommend them especially for the budget you are working with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#7983 - 01/21/04 01:36 PM Re: A lil help please
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
You are in a perfect position to avoid a lot of mistakes and in the right place for advice IMHO. There are people here with a lot of knowledge to share. I’m no expert but I’ll take a shot at helping you out. The first thing I’d recommend would be that whatever brand of speakers you choose make them identical. In other words don’t put big towers up front (a lot of people do this for the look) and then put smaller surrounds in the back. Even if they are voice matched to each other you will notice a difference when the sound pans around the room. You may want to make an exception for the center because of size issues(I did) but the rest should be the same speakers. I would also recommend 2 subwoofers instead of 1. This serves to cancel the standing wave effect and makes the sound a lot less directional. So far I’ve heard nothing but good things about the LFM 1 Outlaw sub and the price is hard to beat. Hope this helps

Lasher

#7984 - 01/21/04 01:44 PM Re: A lil help please
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
so your question is better speakers or better electronics? that is always tough as they typically go hand in hand. if either is poor the overall performance will suffer. typically a speaker has the most impact on how something sounds, while a processor must have the desirable inputs/outputs and processing capabilities. that is not to say that two processors with the same specs/electronics will put out the same sound... but if you pick two processors to compare with very similar specs they will sound more similar than two speakers with same specs... i guess that is a round-a-about way of saying that i would make sure i get speakers that i like, as long as my processor has at least the minimum features that i want. (features including all electronic components!) then your decision is pre/pro and amp or receiver. gonk points out that a pre/pro and amp is more easily upgraded, and he is correct in the sense that you can retain your amp, but keep in mind that a new pre/pro is not cheap. if you are into a high end system (and cost) then pre/pro with amp is best because you can afford to spend the bucks on a new processor, if not then receivers may be better because you can usually sell them more easily and then purchase a new one. however receivers are usually never upgradeable while some processors are (so they can outlast a receiver). getting a pre/pro and amp requires more cabling. having said that most discriminating people would not choose a receiver. id buy speakers, processor/amp, source (dvd, etc.), power conditioning, cabling, furniture for your equipment, and then extras like remotes, room acoustics, etc. in that order of importance usually. if you put a bigger investment in your speakers you can feel safer because they are not as technologically driven as a processor; therefore, they wont need to be replaced for a long time. i hope this helps prioritize your buying, i didnt give any specific brands (buy what you like), but you are at least on the right path (being here) and good luck. be sure to demo as much as you can before you buy it or get a good return policy.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited January 21, 2004).]

#7985 - 01/21/04 01:52 PM Re: A lil help please
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lasher:
The first thing I’d recommend would be that whatever brand of speakers you choose make them identical. In other words don’t put big towers up front (a lot of people do this for the look) and then put smaller surrounds in the back. Even if they are voice matched to each other you will notice a difference when the sound pans around the room. You may want to make an exception for the center because of size issues(I did) but the rest should be the same speakers. I would also recommend 2 subwoofers instead of 1.
Lasher

I would disagree with that, towers are good for the front because they handle music for movies and need to be full range. The rears can be smaller because they are effects which are not typically as musical. The most important speaker in your system is your center (dialog), then your sub (bass :-)), then fronts, then rears. i also disagree that two subs is always better than one (as i have talked about in other threads), but i do agree that every speaker except for the sub should be made by one company (for timbre matching, etc.) a lot of times companies that make good speakers make bad subs, polk who you were thinking about is one that has good speakers but their subs should only be used as coffee tables.

#7986 - 01/21/04 02:19 PM Re: A lil help please
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Zdog:
One more thing, the quality of subwoofer plays a big role in home theater. Again, with little bit of assembling, you can get yourself a very good subwoofer for less than $600 here http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofers/complete_kits/ I have a Shiva subwoofer and I couldn’t be happier.

#7987 - 01/21/04 03:13 PM Re: A lil help please
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I guess my statement came out wrong. I never said don’t use towers. If you like towers then use all towers and if you like bookshelf speakers then use all bookshelf speakers. It just makes for a more smooth transition from one speaker to the next if all the speakers are the same IMHO. As far as the use of 2 subs I will agree that you can make one very good sub sound great but finding that perfect placement in a room to achieve that result can be very hard (extra hard for someone new to the hobby).I will have to disagree with your order of importance list though. Acoustic treatment should always come first. Most people don’t give a thought to the acoustics of there room and just set there equipment up in what ever room is available (typically the living room.) People try to make a dead room sound great by using high priced gear and end up spending and upgrading constantly looking for that perfect sound. Most of them could solve there problem just by small adjustments to the design and shape of the room. 2x4s and sheetrock are a lot cheaper than equipment.

Lasher

#7988 - 01/21/04 03:33 PM Re: A lil help please
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Here's how I would start with this project:

1) Design the layout for the room. Since you're basically starting from scratch, I would look around the net at other's home theaters and decide which look (and/or looks) you like the best. Then, figure out seating, lighting, HVAC, and acoustical treatments first. You might also want to look into creating an equipment closet to try to isolate equipment sounds from the room. Once this stuff is in place, you can move onto the actual purchasing of electronics, speakers, and the like.

2) Figure out your budget. Here's one possible breakdown of your 5 grand:

950/7100 = $1700
DVD player = $500
Speaker Set-up = $1500
Room materials = $1100
Cables and the like = $200

3) Now that you have your basic room design and budget in place, you can start looking at speakers. Look at what type of speakers, be it bookshelf monitor, floor standers, in-walls work best in your room design. The above advice about trying to stay within the same manufacturer of speakers is very good advice. That will give you a very coherent soundstage across the entire room. If you can fit 5 full range speakers into the design, by all means go for it. However, this usually isn't all that pratical. I would stick with floor standers for the mains, a good center channel, bookshelf monitors for the surrounds, and, if possible, bipolar surrounds for the rears. This combination should give you the best mix for your budget. The only upgrade from that is to replace the surround bookshelf speakers with another pair of floor standers.

My opinion with the great stereo subwoofer debate is to go WITH stereo subs. Low bass is a little more directional that most will say and the stereo subs will fill out your mains very nicely. A sub is for more than just the rumble. A good 10" sub will more than adequately add to almost any floor standing speaker. If you want rumble, you might want to look into tactile transducers for that job.

The best advice for which speaker company is to go out and listen to everything you possibly can that hopefully fits into your budget. Pick out your favorite CD and try to play it on everything. Listen also on the high-end systems as they can tell you what you may or may not be missing from any of the lower end gear. Internet speaker companies are nice for price and most do give trial periods. If you willing to put up with the speaker shuffle, they're definitely an option especially in your price range. If you are of the creative type, there are some really nice DIY kits out there also.

4) Set-up everything and enjoy!

Hope this helps. As mentioned before, this is just one way of doing things. Good luck!!

#7989 - 01/21/04 07:01 PM Re: A lil help please
Zdog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Arcadia,Florida,USA
Thanks for all the good advice... Ok new questions Taking Gonk's advice I am looking at Axion spealers. They have a theater builder there http://www.axiomaudio.com .. I am gonna go with the Outlaw Comb... 950/7100 and heres the speaker lay out they recomend... What do u think? Front M60 ,Center VP150 , Surround QS8 , Sub EP350 , Rear Surround QS8 ... anything you would change here? My problem is that I live 2 miles past BFE and there are no real HT dealers around other than places like Best Buy and Circut City.. So I am goin with you folks recomendations No Presure... Thanx again Z

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts