Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#79597 - 10/17/07 01:45 AM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
steelyken Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Plainfield IN
I received my compact Saturday and have been very impressed with the improvement over my Mirage S-8.

I have a question about the plexiglass top. Is it supposed to fit flush with the cabinet top? In the pictures on the website it appears flush but on mine the glass is indented. Also the "Outlaw" emblem has glue residue around the edge that I have not been completely able to remove.

Did you guys get a manual with your sub? Mine came without, and there were no discs for the spiked feet included either. Was a little disappointed the feet were plastic and not metal, though they seem quite sturdy.

The sub is a real performance boost, but the attention to fit and finish detail is lacking just a bit.

#79598 - 10/17/07 02:42 AM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The plexi top of my LFM-1 is indented - I believe that is intentional. I can't speak to the glue around the logo, though.

#79599 - 10/18/07 03:03 AM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
sterankoman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Louisville
My plexiglass top is indented 1/2mm (.02").

Plastic spikes w/o disks (no problem IMHO). I noticed that the spikes looked very similar to the plastic spikes on my Celestion subwoofer only a little larger. Probably from the same far east factory.

I did get a manual and my logo is mounted cleanly.

I'm still impressed with the deep, articulate bass from this modestly priced subwoofer.

#79600 - 11/16/07 08:09 PM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
Ooooops - Plexiglass top - have to cover it up with a piece of black cloth. It will be just under the 106" screen - without the cloth, there will be a nice reflection.

Will post my comments after I get the sub (just ordered a B-Stock - will probably take 7 days to arrive...).

I got a SUPER offer on my Sunfire D-12. A friend needed a sub RIGHT AWAY - something very small, yet reasonably powerful (wife would only allow a SMALL sub), so I sold him the sub and will be "sub less" for a week. frown

The Sunfire's -3 dB was at 18 Hz, though it could not play as loud as the LFM-1 Compact (108 dB as opposed to 112dB).

I will eventually buy AV123's DUAL x-plosive or MFW-15 - just need something for the next 6 months or so.

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

#79601 - 11/19/07 09:54 PM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
No LFM-1 Compact for me. Little change of plans - got a B-Stock LFM-1 Plus instead. Plan to hold on to that for a while, if I like it (given the specs and reviews, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if I don't like it...).

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

#79602 - 11/19/07 11:40 PM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That should be fun! smile

#79603 - 01/05/08 08:34 PM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
Bob A (SD) Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Black Hills of South Dakota
My LFM-1c arrived early this morning. Thankfully the excellent packing (double boxed with heavy styrofoam corners) protected the sub as it obviously took a hit. One corner was smashed through both boxes exposing the styrofoam. It shipped from Carson, CA although Outlaw is in Easton, MA. The FedEx driver is known to us and made a note just in case there was concealed damage.

The aesthetics are every bit as good as described, especially the black plexiglass inlaid top. No "industrial" look here. Very nice.

Mine arrived with those plastic spiked feet instead of metal too. This despite my specifically asking for the metal when I placed my order. I don't know if the metal is discontinued and this is what they're now supplying now or not. Anyone know what the deal is here?

Although I'm still tweaking the settings, thus far I'm quite pleased with the LFM-1c in my 3426 ft3 room (which I know is stretching things). I'm driving my 7+1 system with an Onkyo TX-SR705. Impacts are felt throughout the room and my body.

--Bob

Addendum: just found this on another forum which explains the conflict between what is delivered and what the manual calls out as being supplied:

"Update on the spike feet:
I contacted Outlaw via their web form and received a reply the next day. Apparently Outlaw has changed the specs for the Compact accessories. Because the Compact requires taller spikes (more clearance), they've switched to the taller plastic spike feet. As long as they're functional, well built and not an eyesore, I'm ok with them. Only time will tell whether they're well built. Also, the dimple discs should be included regardless of the type of spike feet, so Outlaw is shipping out the discs to me. Thus far I've been pleased with their customer support.
Last edited by laulau : 12-31-07 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Update. "

I agree with laulau and wish the dimpled discs were supplied proforma. Guess I need to ask for a set....

#79604 - 01/08/08 02:26 AM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
murdoch Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto
I got the LFM-1C and am driving it with the RR 2150. Sounds good for music in a fairly bright open concept living room+dining area+kitchen (hard to measure -- say between 400 (immediate sitting room) to 1,000 (neighbouring space) ft2). My experience is posted in the RR 2150 forum.

Basically: Solid base, not boomy. Fills the space well. The LFM can migrate under some conditions (i.e., my cranking the volume), but is generally fine on the plastic spikes + ceramic discs on hardwood floor.

Like Bob A's experience, discs weren't included in my package - had to request them, and they were sent along later.

And I remain quite pleased with the Outlaw products.

#79605 - 01/20/08 09:44 PM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
john57 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am leading toward this LFM-1C model to argument with the Yamaha YSP and possibility with the big Sound labs I have. If money was no object I would look into the Thiel subwoofers. Long time ago I used to own the Thiel 3.5. Now both Thiel subwoofers and the 3.7 are now of body and mind condering their prices. I just do not have that kind of money and wanted the LFM to hold up for the long run. The only feature missing is a equalizer to reduce the peaks but not sure how important that is going to be at this point.

#79606 - 04/06/08 05:46 PM Re: LFM-1 Compact reviews anyone?
TCIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Torrance, CA, USA
john57,

Being able to equalize a room peak/dip is very important when it comes to bass response.

My present home theater has a bass peak of +3db around 40Hz. If I did not remove that peak, the calibration of my subwoofer output to the required Dolby level would be off by +3db.

Equalizing the +3db peak out allows the whole subwoofer spl response to come up by +3db (assuming a flat subwoofer response in the area of interest) which is quite an improvement.

Just a thought.

Regards,
TCIII

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts