Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#79358 - 09/11/07 01:37 AM Re: Pulled the trigger!
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

I've switched to maximum output mode and I think I might prefer it. Could just be my imagination though.... I have not had decent time for A/B testing (new job... too much work).

In other news I have a used HSU MBM-12 on the way. I am also thinking of getting some bass traps soon from realtraps.com I think the end is near for all of my bass needs!... for a while.

#79359 - 09/14/07 01:00 AM Re: Pulled the trigger!
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

Well, after recalibrating with the SMS-1 the max output roll-off was about 8db earlier than in Max extension (must be my room!), so I am sticking with max extention. After re-calibrating again it sounds great. I have an MBM-12 and Bass Traps (mondotraps from Realtraps) on the way as well. I will report how big a difference those make.

#79360 - 09/14/07 09:47 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

the Hsu-mbm is up and running... and man. It is VERY awesome. My chest is getting pounded!

#79361 - 10/26/07 08:18 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
JohnK Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Massachusetts
Mine arrived on Tuesday! It comes in two big boxes, one inside the other. Nice packaging! Also very heavy.

Set up is reasonably easy even without a manual. I used the instructions from the LFM-1 Plus to figure it out. Hopefully the manual will be posted soon.

The bass is incredible. Very deep, very musical and tight. I've been listening mostly to music as I just replaced all my speakers. Even with full-range speakers up front, with the LFM-1 EX in the system, there is nothing missing. I hear notes that weren't being reproduced in my old system, even with a subwoofer.

Thanks Outlaw.

#79362 - 11/29/07 02:06 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
rychern Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just got my very first Outlaw pruduct, the LFM-1 EX also. I have to say, I was a bit concerned as I have a pretty long room 15x35ish (living room backs up against the kitchen, seperated by a short 4' wall.) I've owned nearly every SVS cylinder sub (except the Ultra series) and due to some medical bills, was downgrading, (or so I thought) to the LFM-1 EX. I was soooo wrong! This guy rocks and shakes the entire place. Much more musical than my previous cylinders and not nearly as boomy. I loved my cylinders, but I think I have a new love now. Looks great also!
Hoping to get the SMS system sometime down the road. Anyway, saved some coin and ended up with a "better" sub in my option. Fantastic product Outlaw! Now I want to add a 2nd or your MBM-12... smile

#79363 - 11/29/07 09:26 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
tleavit Offline
Gunslinger

I've had mine several months now and I am very happy with it. I was running my older 12" Energy sub down there but the Outlaw rock the place enough so that I took the Energy out. This sub really friggen hammers. Its amazing. Watching Transformers at what is it 1:59 into the movie during the city battle scene makes my walls ripple. This sub is so power full that even through my sound proofing in the room, I can go upstairs on the other side of my house and feel the bass thumping the floor even when I don’t consider it "turned up". I still run the thing at the 4 volume mark (of 10).

Heres the best pic I have of its location:

#79364 - 11/29/07 09:32 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
rychern,
I have been living with an EX for about a month now and I couldn't agree with you more.
I upgraded from a Polk PSW505, which I thought was a decent sub but the EX showed me what I had been missing all this time. The EX is definitely much more musical than the Polk was and, even though it is rated at only 50 watts more, much more powerful. It blended with my speakers just fine and when the LFE throws something major at it it responds with eager enthusiasm. Congrats & enjoy.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#79365 - 12/13/07 03:23 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
mahansm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Panama City, Florida
Two LFM1-EX cartons arrived Monday. They are intended to replace the existing LFM1+. However, right now all three are scattered around the room and active. I haven't had time to play with any elaborate calibration yet, but I think I'm close to having sufficient bass energy available. All three are in maximum bass extension mode (one port plugged, switch set accordingly) and are fed from the subwoofer outlets (with one Y cable) of the 990.

By the way, Outlaw uses the same manual for the LFM1+ and LFM1-EX
Kef 3005 surrounds
Samsung HL-67a750
Sony BDP-S301 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A2
Denon CD
Harmony 880
Comcast HD DVR with external drive
Nintendo Wii

#79366 - 12/13/07 05:31 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
to mahansm:

Please let us know your thoughts on the following regarding working with the KEF 107s:

(1) 107s with LFM1+
(2) 107s with your new EXs
(3) Whether using the KUBE (I don't recall).

I personally found that the KUBEs weren't necessary due to the addition of the SUB. KUBEs were helpful, I guess prior to incorporation of subs into systems, i.e. when there was just good-old stereo.

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#79367 - 12/13/07 07:45 PM Re: Pulled the trigger!
mahansm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Panama City, Florida
1. In my system, the 107's are set as large in the 990 setup; they get the full range signal. LFE channel and the bass from the surrounds and center channel goes to the LFM1+. I use the KUBE that came with the speakers, as they have no deep bass response without it. Also, each KUBE is serialized and tweaked to work with that particular pair of 107's.

With my room configuration I ended up with the LFM1+ in the right rear corner (only place it would reasonably fit). I could detect a "hole" in the low frequency sound field; the system sits facing across the end of a 33'x 17' room and the subwoofer is in one of the corners. Also, at high volumes on particular movies (intro to Serenity in particular) the combined low frequency response of the system was not sufficient.

2. I've only had the LFM1EXs in place since Tuesday night and have had a very few hours to listen to them. I was distracted by a tweeter failure on my center channel (fixed) and haven't had/taken the time to do a proper setup. 1 EX replaced the LFM1+ in the corner and one went out towards the middle of the room (to the other side of the listening/viewing position(s)).
For now, and just for grins and giggles, the LFM1+ is sitting in front of the stand between the center channel and right front. All three are driven.

Bass response from the 107's with KUBE is tighter and more accurate than either the LFM 1+ or LFM1 EX. However, even with 300 watts/channel they don't develop the impact and depth of the EX.

Dark Side of the Moon is a real experience. Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas album (Little Drummer Boy and Carol of the Bells) played at moderate volume (-18 dB) in 5 channel stereo mode is amazing. I've got to try Still Life Talking by Pat Metheney (track 1, about 6:45 in) for the deep bass notes as well as some movies. My time at home will be limited for the rest of the year, so there won't be much experimentation until then.
Kef 3005 surrounds
Samsung HL-67a750
Sony BDP-S301 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A2
Denon CD
Harmony 880
Comcast HD DVR with external drive
Nintendo Wii

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM