Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7923 - 11/29/03 08:16 PM deftech powertowers and seperate sub
carlos perez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: hemet ca usa
How would you crossover bp towers with a seperate sub which uses the lfe signal? the guys at def tech told me the subs in the def techs are crossed over at 80 and you can't defeat it. my stand alone sub can't be defeated either.How would I set up the cross in the 950 pre/pro? thanks.

#7924 - 12/01/03 08:36 AM Re: deftech powertowers and seperate sub
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Connecticut
Carlos...I'm running Def Tech BP2006TL's in the front, CLR2300 Center, and BPX's in the rear. I don't have a sub yet..but when I do here's what I will do with my 950.

I will set the sub to 'Yes' and set Front, Center, and Rears to SMALL. I will set Front Crossover to 40Hz, Center Crossover to 40Hz, and Rear Crossover to 60Hz. This would be my initial setup. I may try the fronts set to LARGE which would allow a full signal to go to my 2006's. Not sure which Bi-Polar Towers you are running but if you have the big ones (2000's,3000's, 7001's, or 7000's) ...you can set the fronts to LARGE no doubt. Also if you have the CLR3000 Center you can set that to LARGE too.

So if I set my 2006's to SMALL and cross them over @ 40Hz on my 950..then the 8" subs in these should get frequencies between 40Hz and 80Hz since the internal corssover in the Def Tech's is set @ 80Hz and can't be defeated. If I go LARGE the subs in my 2006's get everything below 80Hz.

My sub would be getting the full LFE signal from the 950's LFE output as well as any frequencies that are below the crossover's I set on the 950 for any speakers set to SMALL.

I think I said all this right...doe sit make sense ?

#7925 - 12/01/03 03:22 PM Re: deftech powertowers and seperate sub
carlos perez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

D-Rowe, thanx that makes alot of sense, I also have bp2006's and a procenter 200 in the center. I don't have rears yet I still haven't decided which to go with yet. Any ideas? Also, For some reason I can't calibrate my 2006,s past 71 or 72db. I do everything right including setting everything on flat and turning my volume to 0 with no source playing.My center seems to be louder then my mains. I made sure all the woofers and tweeters are working front and back, I even hooked up some old polk audio towers (R-50's with a sensetivity of about 87) and they seem to calibrate louder then my deftechs. Like I said I can't go past 71 on the deftechs but I can go 80or 85 on old polks with a lower impendence.What do you think? thanx. D-rowe, just for your info I have the 755 power amp.

#7926 - 12/01/03 04:19 PM Re: deftech powertowers and seperate sub
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Connecticut
I just finished mounting my Def Tech BPX's and WOW... they are great. The BPX's are bi-polar too but positiong them properly is key. If you place them on side walls they need to be between 3-6 feet high and should be lined up with the listening position. The BPX's seem to match perfectly with my BP2006TL's and CLR2300. I oroginally wanted to move my 2006's to the rear and get larger fronts but my room dynamics make it diffucult to place towers in the rear plus I have a 2 year old walking around. They also have the nice high gloss finish like to 2006's and the CLR2300. If you go below the BPX model you don't get the gloss finish. I also highly recommend the CLR2300 Center...which also has a built in 8" sub with a 125W amp. Makes a huge difference with movies!

If your center is too loud them you need to get into the 950 speaker calibration menu and turn down the center volume a few db's. I assume you are using a SPL Meter to measure speaker output with the 950 volume set to 0db right ? You should be able to set all speakers to the same db level using the Speaker calibration menu options on the 950.

#7927 - 12/02/03 08:32 PM Re: deftech powertowers and seperate sub
carlos perez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

D, I tink I found the problem with the hot amp issue, I talked to Chad from Deftech and explained my problem. He is sure that the problem is the speakers and not my amp. He stated that the problem is the crossover and that a bad one would cause my amp to run too hot and shut itself down. I took the speakers back to the dealer today, so the problem should be resolved next week. My amp is back at outlaw getting looked at as well, so everything should be back to normal. I thought you should know since you also have 006's. Chad also stated that in these specific speakers the crossover is the one thing that will go wrong. Also,Chd stated that they have a new crossover that can handle bigger amps.Before I took them back I hooked them up to a kenwood and denon receiver and they also shut down once I got the volume to -22/-24db so it has to be the crossover.D, Im also thinking about getting bp1.2x for surrounds what do you think?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts