Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#79188 - 05/30/08 01:21 AM Re: A changing of the guards...
loopy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ma.
Get well soon Gonk!

#79189 - 05/30/08 02:06 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
Ouch! Hope you are back on your feet soon, Gonk!

#79190 - 05/30/08 03:20 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thanks for the well wishes, guys. I hope to know more about how long my recovery is likely to last after Monday morning's appointment with the surgeon. It's been probably as hard on my wife as on me so far, especially since she's still getting settled into her new job and she and our daughter are both in a wedding tomorrow.

#79191 - 05/30/08 06:58 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Best wishes for a quick recovery Gonk !
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#79192 - 05/31/08 04:53 AM Re: A changing of the guards...
jamst174 Offline
Gunslinger

Long time reader, first time poster.

Get well soon...and I'm looking forward to the addendum. I'm planning on replacing my center channel with a LCR soon as it's my worst speaker, but my ancient dcm tf350's will be next...

Looks like a good bet...

Also looking forward to a product that supports HDMI so I can replace my trusty (yet aging) 1050!
Marantz Model SR5005
Outlaw Model 7125
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray
XBox 360 Elite
3 Outlaw LCR's
2 Outlaw Bookshelf Speakers
1 Outlaw ECS-10
Salamander Synergy S40 AV Cabinet

#79193 - 06/05/08 06:56 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

I have made an update to my review today. It's not terribly in depth, but here it is:
Quote:
It took me several weeks to find time to finish the stands (such as it were – their final form re-confirmed my intent to pursue getting some better-made stands at a later date) and get them into the den. These stands were sort of an experiment, testing an idea for a stand design that I figured could be recreated in nicer material or finished better later. Finally, over the Memorial Day weekend, I got the stands in the house and pulled the speakers down onto them.

As soon as I had the Bookshelves down on the stands, I fired the system up for some initial listening. The effects were readily apparent as a widening of the soundstage and improved imaging. Some of the soundstage improvement is likely due to the speakers being spread out a bit more, but I really think the imaging is due to the speakers being at the listener's level now. It is very pronounced when listening to music, but it is also beneficial with movies and TV. When I was settling in to write these notes down, I was startled to note how clear and wide the soundstage was on a TV show (hardly the greatest source material) when I wasn't even paying attention to it. Even though I'm not terribly impressed with my workmanship on the stands, I will definitely be leaving the Bookshelves on them until I can find something better to use as supports for them. They deserve to be at their optimal mounting height.
No picture of the stands, and I've been officially instructed to stay off my right leg for three months (to allow the bone to heal completely before stressing it, since none of us are keen on me needing a hip replacement) so getting good pics of them may be tricky. In the meanwhile, though, my rather rough looking and unassuming stands will keep the Bookshelves at their recommended mounting height and I'll happily enjoy listening to them there.

#79194 - 06/06/08 11:19 AM Re: A changing of the guards...
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Glad your stands are working.
What height did you make them?
Good luck with your leg.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#79195 - 06/06/08 01:12 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Thanks. Per the manual, I'm using 30" stands.

#79196 - 06/06/08 03:32 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I have made an update to my review today. It's not terribly in depth, but here it is:
Quote:
It took me several weeks to find time to finish the stands (such as it were – their final form re-confirmed my intent to pursue getting some better-made stands at a later date) and get them into the den. These stands were sort of an experiment, testing an idea for a stand design that I figured could be recreated in nicer material or finished better later. Finally, over the Memorial Day weekend, I got the stands in the house and pulled the speakers down onto them.

As soon as I had the Bookshelves down on the stands, I fired the system up for some initial listening. The effects were readily apparent as a widening of the soundstage and improved imaging. Some of the soundstage improvement is likely due to the speakers being spread out a bit more, but I really think the imaging is due to the speakers being at the listener's level now. It is very pronounced when listening to music, but it is also beneficial with movies and TV. When I was settling in to write these notes down, I was startled to note how clear and wide the soundstage was on a TV show (hardly the greatest source material) when I wasn't even paying attention to it. Even though I'm not terribly impressed with my workmanship on the stands, I will definitely be leaving the Bookshelves on them until I can find something better to use as supports for them. They deserve to be at their optimal mounting height.
No picture of the stands, and I've been officially instructed to stay off my right leg for three months (to allow the bone to heal completely before stressing it, since none of us are keen on me needing a hip replacement) so getting good pics of them may be tricky. In the meanwhile, though, my rather rough looking and unassuming stands will keep the Bookshelves at their recommended mounting height and I'll happily enjoy listening to them there.
Nice addition. Sure makes me want to try those speakers.

I've made two sets of stands with very different forms. The first set I made with baluster's. You can usually find nice balusters for a good price. I used 4 for each stand and then cut them to size. Great thing is you can do very plain and simple or super fancy. Plus you can either paint or stain them with ease since they're sanded and ready to go.

On another set of speakers, I needed a heavy base to support the speakers and I made a small box on the bottom and filled it with cement. Theirs a metal bole that extends from the base. Works great, but their super heavy.

In the future I'll combine the two methods and make the base with cement much smaller. The current base weigh 70lbs. Way overkill but they're not going to tip over anytime soon. The baluster stands look pretty good. Even made a pair for my desktop speakers, so their at ear level.

Oh and I'm by no means skilled with wo0d working. I don't even own a table saw. However, I'll buy one for future projects as it'll eliminate several mistakes I made, like not having one.

#79197 - 06/06/08 04:30 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

My stand design as intended to be visually low-profile. The support post is off-center (so it tucks in alongside the entertainment center), and I've got a piece of all-thread inside it to keep the base plate and top plate secured to the post in spite of the cantilever condition at the top. I did it with 3/4" MDF and no table saw. A table saw would have helped, but as a concept it turned out well.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM