Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#79168 - 04/25/08 06:58 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I figured the video display would be next!

Are you still using the LFM-1?

#79169 - 04/25/08 08:32 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I am still using the LFM-1, and it's still going strong after more than four years.

#79170 - 04/26/08 05:17 AM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

OK, after a crazy couple days, I've got the system calibrated with the Outlaws. I still need to arrange for loaner stands, I think, as it'll be a while before the plans to design and build permanent stands yield any actual hardware, but even up high these puppies sound great! I spent a very theraputic hour on the couch after getting the calibration done (starting at almost 10:30), moving only to grab a different disc out of the cabinet after every couple of songs and toss it in the 983H. I'll definitely be doing more listening this weekend, and will tinker a bit with the controls on the speakers to see what fun they can bring to the mix. It'll probably be another week or more (probably more, considering current workload) before I get enough information gathered and compiled into a coherent form to post my review, but it's in the works...

#79171 - 04/29/08 10:49 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Gonk, What are you using for surrounds and why did you not do the LCRs all around

#79172 - 04/30/08 06:56 AM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

One of the reasons behind this move was to transition from a large tower speaker to a relatively small bookshelf, assuming that it could be done without a sonic compromise. The LCR is smaller than my old center channel by a couple inches, but when you stand one up on end and put it on even the most inobtrusive stand you are still going to have something that presents a similar visual footprint in the space. Hence, the decision to go with a pair of Bookshelves and a single LCR. As I sit here at work, trying to get some stuff done for a deadline tomorrow, my little Logitech computer speakers keep reminding me of just how good the Bookshelves have proven themselves to be (needless to say, I'd prefer to be listening in the den at home). I've got plans in place to assemble a test pair of slim speaker stands in the very near future, and I'm looking forward to spending some time this weekend playing with the speaker switches. (I kept getting distracted by the sound during the listening sessions I've found time for over the last few days.) While they've already proven themselves a sonic upgrade in subtle but pleasing ways, I'm pretty sure that there's more they can do - particularly once I get them on some stands.

For now, I'm using Axiom M3ti side surrounds and Paradigm Studio ADP rear surrounds. The Studio ADP's are likely to remain, but I'm already contemplating a pair of black B-stock Bookshelves to replace the M3ti's. The side surround positions available in my room are limiting, which is why the ADP's are no longer filling that role. The M3ti's were a cost-effective way to fit within the architectural constraints that I had, but they were never quite up to the challenge of replacing the ADP's or of equaling the Paradigm Studios. Matching Bookshelves there would be great, but I'm thinking of those being black B-stocks both for cost reasons (the M3ti's won't fetch much to help offset the cost of the BLS's) and squeamishness (my surround locations will require that I mount these puppies on the wall, most likely using the existing brackets, and that means running screws into the cabinets - something that I don't like the idea of with the nice cherry finish).

#79173 - 04/30/08 02:39 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Burning the midnight oil, are we! WOW! 2:56AM, Gonk? You da'man!!

Seriously, looking forward to your official review.

Edit: That's 1:56 Central Std Time....oops!

#79174 - 04/30/08 05:42 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

It's still officially way too late... wink That post got written a piece at a time over the course of about two or three hours last night, while I was up at work dealing with a problematic energy model that has to go out today.

#79175 - 05/08/08 01:59 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
gonk Offline
Desperado

OK, everybody, I'm going to toss a question out here...

I've spent some good quality time with these speakers over the last couple of weeks, and they will be staying. The Bookshelves will also be moving onto stands at some point, but I don't expect to have stands ready for at least another week (maybe longer). I've got most of my review written. Here's the question: do I leave the draft sitting on my hard drive until the stands are done and I've had a chance to listen to the Bookshelves at their optimal mounting height, or do I post the review this week and update it later once I've spent some time with the Bookshelves on stands?

Your call, fellas - I can go either way... smile

#79176 - 05/08/08 03:58 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Gonk,
Initial response would be inviting.... w/ a
follow-up covering highlight w/ stands.
plus i would suggest a new thread...
call it "after the guards changed."

#79177 - 05/08/08 04:57 PM Re: A changing of the guards...
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
Gonk -- Agree with tmdlp; am very interested in your thoughts. But if it involves much extra work for you, I also can wait.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM