Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#79058 - 06/03/07 07:30 PM Has Outlaw left its original business model?
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
As an avid supporter of Outlaw and owner of 950/7100 combo and the LFM I have been impressed with the value (good performance, great price) of the products and the customer service. When I read about the new Outlaw loudspeakers I see a nice speaker but do not see the value that Outlaw has always provided on their products. There are many, many outstanding speakers to be had for $500 each. Unless these speakers sound exceptional, this Outlaw product will simply blend in with all the other speakers that are available. Also, I have noticed the minimal posting (support) for these speakers and wonder with the new free shipping if Outlaw has ventured into an area that is different from its previous strategies of very good value. Hmmm

#79059 - 06/03/07 08:02 PM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's worth looking at Outlaw's stated intent for these speakers. They acknowledge the huge number of good speakers to be had at a broad assortment of price points - it's a market with a truly massive array of options. They received so many requests for speakers that they decided to build a small line of speakers that would be what they would want to own, built domestically in small quantities with tight tolerances on the manufacturing quality. They aren't trying to become a dominant player in the speaker market (something that would be an unreasonably goal at any price point).

As for traffic in the speaker forum, I doubt this will ever see the sort of activity level that the processor and receiver forums get because there are going to be far fewer setup questions to generate discussion.

#79060 - 06/03/07 09:20 PM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
Ouch!
I perceive Outlaw as an Internet-seller of tried & tested audio/video technology...all at a great value with unbelievable support & a little something in the attitude....the marketing...
if it's gimmick...color me silly...
I'm in...
and as far their speakers go...
I'm still on the fence with the correction switches...
but sincerely what do I really know....
I'm still an unconditional Mirage guy...but should my sub choke one day...bang ! LFM here I come....
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#79061 - 06/03/07 09:22 PM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
Laventura Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montréal,PQ
BTW...I'm still hopin'...
for that gunsmokin' digital transport....
Outlaw 1070-Mirage M-290(main)+MCC(center)+Omnisat Micro(sides) nanosat(back)+ +PS12-90(sub)-Technics SL-5 turtable+Cambridge Audio 540P-HTPC - SamsungDTB-H260F HDTV tuner - Optoma HD 20 +100' Draper screen -lots of spaghetti and toys

#79062 - 06/04/07 12:51 PM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Well, it's kinda easy to see why Outlaw would offer its customers a promotional break on the loudspeakers. They're building their product line pretty strategically (the 7900 notwithstanding), and since online commerce/marketing is all about buzz, who better to test the speakers than folks already comfortable with the company?

Admittedly, my curiosity is piqued. When I entered the forum late last year I was looking for speakers to go with my pre-ordered RR 2150, and because back then I didn't own a subwoofer (or have plans to acquire one), one key concern then was that whatever I chose had bass extension down into the 40-ish Hz area. Really wondering what, if any, sonic bump the Outlaw loudspeakers might offer, but of course, it won't be easy convincing the wife that more trials aren't just folly. She's quite happy with the NHTs currently paired with RR 2150.

#79063 - 06/04/07 02:19 PM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Here's some more thoughts on this subject. Outlaw's goal has always been to find opportunities to do something that solves a unique problem or fills a unique position in the market. The 950 happened to include a unique price point as part of that (one of the first sub-$1000 surround processors, if not the first), but the 1050 wasn't the least expensive receiver of its day (it focused on 6.1 and adjustable bass management, both of which were very rare at the time). The Model 1070 and RR2150 are both far from the least expensive receivers in their respective categories - you can get a surround receiver with a higher power spec for $300 or $400 and a stereo receiver for maybe $100 or $200 - but they both offer unique features such as DVI switching, quad crossover, and stout amp in the 1070 or analog bass management in the RR2150. The also perform very well (the RR2150 made the cover of Stereophile, for example). Heck, the ol' ICBM-1 wasn't exactly cheap at $250, but it developed a huge following that still exists today because it was the only product on the market that addressed a unique and difficult problem.

Outlaw admitted in their original speaker announcement (and again when the announced the LCR, as mentioned here ) that they could have partnered with any number of manufacturers (mostly overseas) to build something less expensive than the Bookshelf and LCR speakers. They chose not to, and I think a significant factor in that decision was the fact that such a product would not have been unique - it would have been a very good speaker, just like the dozens of other good speakers already on the market. Instead, they tried something unique again: US-made, individually tuned, and with capabilities such as boundary compensation that are extremely rare (especially at the price). As for the actual "rubber meets the road" performance, some of the initial feedback has been very positive. I've been curious to hear these speakers - even to the point of toying around with the idea of three bookshelves or two bookshelves and an LCR across the front of my system - and may actually give them a whirl later this year.

#79064 - 06/04/07 09:09 PM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
Outlaw specifically stated that they are aiming for VERY high performance from their speaker line (comparable to some VERY well respected speaker companies).

If they can achieve that, $1,000 for a pair of such high quality bookshelves, is not a lot of money...

The proof is in the pudding...

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

#79065 - 06/05/07 01:18 AM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Gonk has made some good points and as a big supporter of Outlaw with my purchases and my experiences I will wait to see if these speakers provide the very high performsnce their price would indicate. Gonk, I know you are a Paradigm supporter. Are you going to compare these agianst your speakers to see if Outlaw has provided an excellent speaker for the price? Also, has Outlaw indicted what other speakers they plan to launch? Floorstanding, etc?

#79066 - 06/05/07 01:52 AM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'm still not sure when/if I'll actually try that - just something that's been percolating in the back of my mind for a bit. If I did, I'd be comparing them to Paradigm Ref. Studio/60 v2 ($1200/pair circa 2001) and Studio/CC v2 ($600 circa 2001).

We know about the bookshelf and center/LCR. We also know that two more speakers were originally planned - general concensus is that those two would be a floorstander and a surround.

#79067 - 06/06/07 03:05 AM Re: Has Outlaw left its original business model?
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Glad that I stumbled on to this thread. I had done some research before Ideceided which processor and amplifier to purchase. After loooking at Anthem,Rotel,and Emotiva i made a greatchoice Outlaw 990/7700 combo. Never regreted the choice.
Spoke to Gonk a number of times thru this site and private e-mail which cleared up a lot of my indecesiveness and fear especially from buying on line.
This was after I had seen Outlaw at the Home Theater shows for some eight years.
I am looking to upgrade my home theater system by replacing my Definitive speakers. I am looking at the Paradigm Studio 60 towers along with the cc690 center,ADP 590 surrounds and two Rel 305 subwoofers.
I guess what I am trying to say is that if Outlaw had a 5.1,6.1 system I would not hesitate to at least auditioning them.

Gonk, or anyone interested your thoughts on my selection from Paradigm.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM