Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#79010 - 02/27/07 10:09 PM Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
Dog_lover Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
Any further comments or thoughts on Magnapan?

#79011 - 02/27/07 10:26 PM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't heard them, but the Magnepans have a loyal following here and elsewhere. If you have used and liked Martin Logans, I'd certainly think it'd be worthwhile to demo some.

#79012 - 03/01/07 11:28 PM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Dog_lover,

I have been pleased with the upgrade I made to Magnepan. I got a pair of 3.6s off Audiogon from a local seller. (He had big bucks invested in Acoustic Research gear) Also got a CC3 center channel.

I am 50/50 music to HT and enjoy the Maggies. I have had them about a year and have not had an urge to upgrade. Although the 3.6s go fairly low, I use a quality subwoofer. Especially with movies. You certainly should take some music and movies and get a demo at the Maggie dealer. When I was auditioning, I took the Matrix. I really did not miss any of the dynamics, but in one scene where it is raining, I was sure I was going to get wet, The surround field was impressive and it really felt like it was raining all around the room.

So, yes, I am an owner and do recommend you take a listen. I think they are an excellent American made product.

mj

#79013 - 03/06/07 04:41 PM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
Dog_lover Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
THanks so much. I went to a dealer who is new to Portland and it was a bust. Bad representation. I'm very tempted to buy a pair of MMG's just to see how they sound in my rather small listening room. I'm late responding so I may try to email you if I can figure out how.

#79014 - 03/17/07 02:32 AM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
droeses58 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: wisconsin
Maybe I can try and help you out, I own a pair of mmg's and the do sound very good, though if possible they like to be crossed over at a 100hz at least, remember this is one of their cheaper line [or smaller is a better term]so they don't like low octaves. The only real thing that turned me off about the mmg's is your only going to get about 94db before they really, and I mean really start to break up. That just wasn't enough db's for me. However for what they are and what they are meant to do they truly do sound very nice from say 92db and down. Hope this helps and isn't to late.

Kyle

#79015 - 03/17/07 02:37 AM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
droeses58 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: wisconsin
Oh yea forgot to mention theirs a website MUG I think it is for adding upgrades to stock Maggie's and most are pretty cheap and they say improves the sound quite dramatically, though Idon't think again it would add much to the overall db output. I guess it's up to you mine are in a basement that is relatively large so in a small room, say 12' by 15' they may be just right.

#79016 - 03/19/07 03:38 PM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I've been quite happy with My Maggie 1.6's combined with my 990 and 755. I can't think of another pair of speakers in that price range I'd rather own. Once properly positioned, the imaging and soundstage are amazing.

Cheers,

#79017 - 10/04/07 08:22 PM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
Mr. Happy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
In 1987, I compared, in my home, Maggies to Klipsch Forte's. I liked the Maggies, but disliked how they sounded different depending on where I sat, if I stood up, walked around, etc. The Klipsch's sounded more stable and balanced. They also went lower (no subs back then). I've had the Forte's ever since.

#79018 - 10/06/07 09:51 PM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Been very happy with my two sets of Magnepans. Don't have the experience the other poster mentioned about a change in sound while in different listening locations. Had that problem with my Martin Logans which is why I went with Magnepans. The Magnepans are more forgiving than the Martin Logans to listening position. Used to own Klipsch Heresy IIs but sold those long ago for a set of B&W CDM7SEs.

#79019 - 06/17/08 10:28 PM Re: Maggies, time to revisit (Please?)
coto914 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Coto de caza, CA, USA
I too have been very happy with Magnepan for our listening/home theater set up for the last 4 or 5 years. So have the people we have had over to watch and listen. As you can see in the signature below, we have matching Maggies all the way around for the 5 main channels. A couple of quick Velodyne subs fill in nicely where the Maggies fall off. The Adcom amps provide plenty of horsepower to push the speakers even at their low 4 ohm rating. All together a very pleasing set up that really disappears as a point source for sound. You really don't know where it all comes from. When people see the paper thin speakers they still can't believe it.
Adcom 535 - center surround
Mangapan mmg - main/rear/center
JBL HLS610 - center surround
Velodyne 1210 x2 - Subs
Pioneer DV-563
Mitsubishi 65" HDTV

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts