Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#78995 - 02/10/07 12:23 AM Outlaw's long-term speaker plan
Dog_lover Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
I read that Outlaw plans sometime in the future to develop four different speaker lines, I'm not sure if that includes the subwoofer or not, if so they now have two existing lines, they are halfway there. I'm about to upgrade my mains to the tune of around four-thousand dollars. If I knew the timeline of the Outlaw developments I might even wait, I wish they were more forthcoming with their development plans; I would certainly consider waiting. Well, perhaps they will read this and drop a few hints. Well I guess I'll just have to wait like everyone else.

#78996 - 02/10/07 08:59 AM Re: Outlaw's long-term speaker plan
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
From the original speaker announcement, it looks like Outlaw is planning on introducing the following speaker models besides the bookshelf speaker:

1) A center channel speaker
2) Some sort of surround speakers
3) A floorstanding model

I would then expect to see speaker package deals incorporating some sort of surround sound set-up with subwoofer and maybe even processors and amps. I'm also under the impression that you'll see all of these speaker lines by the end of this year.

I'm also expecting Outlaw to stay with direct radiating speakers as opposed to dipoles such as ML or Magnepan. I just don't see them experimenting with a different technology as much as trying get the most performance out of a well-known method.

Of course, all of the above is just pure speculation but it is based on Outlaw's own announcement and their usual business practice.

#78997 - 02/10/07 10:23 AM Re: Outlaw's long-term speaker plan
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Jason J's speculation matches my own pretty closely. The plan seems to be to develop four speakers, each representing a different speaker type: bookshelf first, followed by center channel, floorstander, and surround in some not-yet-specified order. All four speakers would be built in the US to the tolerances described in the bookshelf announcement. The subs appear to be a separate line (albeit related in a way, of course).

#78998 - 02/14/07 02:36 AM Re: Outlaw's long-term speaker plan
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
we know:

Bookshelf - $1000-$1100

and to speculate on the prices of the other units:

Center: $700-$750

Floor-standing: $1800-$1900

surround: too difficult to predict - depends on the type...

smile

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

#78999 - 02/26/07 05:34 PM Re: Outlaw's long-term speaker plan
Dog_lover Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
Sounds reasonable. I just found a Maggie dealer nearby and before I drop $3500 on a new pair of ML Vistas I'm going to drop by. Maggies seem to be priced significantly lower than ML and with their unique design deserve a listen. Anyone have any experience with them? I have ML Mosaics currently that use a different technology. They are a nice speaker but I think I could do a wee bit better.

#79000 - 02/26/07 06:48 PM Re: Outlaw's long-term speaker plan
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Dog_lover, you should get a good many answers to your question. I've had a pair of Maggie 1.6QRs for over five years and am very pleased with them - superb sound on both music (over 90% of my listening) and (occasional) HT. Though their bass extends "only" to 40Hz according to specifications I have almost never felt the need for more, though if I had something like an LFM-1 Plus I'd probably notice the difference soon enough, especially on pipe organ material. Wonderful sound stage, excellent center image without a center speaker, but a little height-sensitive (you notice the difference when you sit down) as are all Maggies. The higher quality electronics, the better. Do give them a listen. Another $600 gets you the MMG-C center speaker and a pair of MMG-W surround units which are only 1" thick and mount on the wall with hinged brackets, so you can fold them flat. No footprints, no stands - and no crossovers either. They are my current upgrade ambition.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM