Topic Options
#7912 - 03/12/04 08:53 PM Re: My System
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#7913 - 03/20/04 06:43 PM Re: My System
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i am not aware of any manufacturers of speakers that "break-in" their products. however you would be remiss to think that a day old speaker will sound the same as the same speaker day x. perhaps the surrounds are not as durable therefore they showed a more dramatic difference during your testing. anyway, i had another point but i forgot it.

#7914 - 03/21/04 02:38 AM Re: My System
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#7915 - 03/22/04 10:04 AM Re: My System
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
well my point was that the components in different speaker models/lines/production runs can vary slightly so that you can see a difference in one set of speakers but not any of the rest. i.e. some speakers can "break-in" more noticeably while others appear the same.
thanks for explaining bipole/dipole/tripole for me, however i was already aware of the differences, and i think what you experienced has little to do with the speakers being of that nature and more to do with the components of each. in a perfect world one could find a whole set of speakers that matched each other perfectly forever and lasted forever and sounded the same forever, but unfortunately things change with time. on the other side of that, sometimes things change for the better instead of worse, i prefer the sound of my system now much more than when i first got it (not all at the same time, but in relation to new vs now condition at least). hopefully your speakers dont continue to keep changing dramatically or i presume that could become bothersome very quickly.

it is always a good idea to "check" your equipment every so often to ensure everything is where you prefer it to be. the significant other can push some buttons when she gets confused and you notice that something isnt quite the same, but cant put your finger on it. or better yet decide to move your speakers so she can clean around them and then you notice one day that they are all out of place. not that i get that anymore, but in other houses where space was tighter i did.

#7916 - 10/22/04 08:10 PM Re: My System
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
NICE!!!

You have my wish list speaker system. That is the same set up that I picked out for my Pop when I helped him put in his Home Theatre. I just did not have the $4,000 - $5,000 to blow on myself, but they are worth every penny when you are engulfed by machine gun blasts and explosions. He is running them with an Adcom 200W THX Amp and GTP 830 Pre(I am trying to convince him to go with the 950, the GTP 830 is a big time disappointment.

#7917 - 10/23/04 03:15 AM Re: My System
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#7918 - 10/23/04 04:39 AM Re: My System
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Adcom still makes an awesome Amp, but the Pre-Amp has issues. It has an audible tick when you increase or decrease the volume, it has a slight hiss audible in all channels and now the left channel is not working. He wants to send it to Adcom for repairs, but the 2 year waranty is up and I know they will charge him at least 5 bills to fix it. I told him that the Outlaw is a superior product at half of the price and he could return it in 30 days for a full refund if he is not satisfied. We've used Adcom products since the late 80's/early 90's. Adcom was the Outlaw of its day giving you huge bang for your buck. The music system in my home today still consists of my college dorm system, an Adcom GFA 545 II paired with the GTP 400 Pre-Amp tuner driving a pair of Infinity Kappa 5's and a sub. I have yet to hear a speaker that can match the original Kappa series with the Emit K tweeters for overall dynamics, sound stage and musicality. The GTP 830 is not the Adcom I grew up with, but with my father old loyalties fade hard.

#7919 - 10/23/04 05:56 PM Re: My System
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#7920 - 10/25/04 12:29 AM Re: My System
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Wayne,

What you are saying is true, however the 830 was the top of Adcoms line in 2002 when I assembled this theatre for my father. Since then they have added the 860 and 890. At the time the series went GTP 750, 760 and THE NEW 830. His amplifier was the 5 channel THX flagship and they do still make a killer amp for the money. I had recomended for him to check out Anthem or Lexicon, but he had such good luck with his old Adcom and M&K music set up from the late 80's, he went with his loyalties. His whole thing was, "Why should I pay that much for companies I do not know when the Adcom equipment has always sounded great to me." I did not know about Outlaw at that time, or I would have steered him that direction.

#7921 - 10/25/04 06:04 AM Re: My System
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts