Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7865 - 11/18/03 12:03 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
MY BP30's loved the Outlaw 200's...

And as far as the SuperCube Reference..it'll knock your house down. I had the little Supercube II with it's tiny 8" woofers, and it killed my defTech PF15TL+, no joke. I was so impressed with the Supercube II, i took it back and got the Supercube I. WOW! This thing is 14" in all directions(tiny) and is so clean and tight sounding...

and the bass extension...unbelievable. I have a friend that wants my Supercube I because I expressed interest in the Reference. I heard it and my jaw is still on the floor. And its list price is $1,700 or $1,800 I believe. If you can find it for $1,500, you're getting a good deal.

DefTech severely underrates their speakers power handling. I have a friend who attended a show where they had 2 Mcintosh monoblocks, each pumping out 1,200 watts to the new 7001's..and they simply loafed along. The more power the better.. the manual says 20 to 600 watts. Well, the 600 was doubled and could have taken more indeed.

my friend just got a pair of BP8b's...

We found reviews where the testers put either 1,100 or 1,200 watts to them and they still werent being pushed...and on paper, they are rated to 200 watts, LOL.

These companies need to realize that receivers are less popular, and people are now getting into seperates a lot more. And a lot of that is thanks to Outlaw!

I need to buy me an Outlaw sub cable! Happy Listening!

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#7866 - 11/18/03 08:50 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Connecticut
Spoonman...thanks for chiming in here. I just ordered a pair of BPX's and had the pleasure of hearing the Reference Series Super Cube at my local dealer for a few minutes. Wanted to hear more but I was kinda in a rush. They say it handles sub 25Hz material very well. Do you have it yet? Is it really that ridiculous? I just sold my Velodyne SPL-1000 which I liked but didn't love.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next...purchase a 755 or a sub ? Either way it's about the same $$$$...well the Reference series may costs me a little more.

I'm wondering if going with a Def Tech sub will help blend bass better seeing as I have 2006's, CLR2300, and now BPX's v.s a different sub (SVS, or LFM-1, etc.) ?

#7867 - 11/18/03 03:07 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

The Reference will blend with any speaker, from any company, superbly, in my opinion.

25hz? The little supercube II shook my house at 20..25hz was unbelievably loud and clean. My current supercube 1 picks up 20hz with ease...the Reference will blow these 2 away, simply put.

I think the driver array helps with all this. I have it on the back wall...with the powered woofer facing the back of the couch, and the pressure driven woofers facing the side walls. In my room, the amount of clean, room massaging bass I get is jaw dropping. I was lucky and found the best spot in my room on the first try. I moved it around to test, and the center of the back wall indeed was the best spot.

Here's an idea...take home the little supercube II, for the heck of it, and test it. Take it back a few weeks later and exchange it for the big daddy. You might even keep the little guy, I was half tempted to as well, lol. Have fun!

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#7868 - 11/19/03 07:47 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

Not a bad idea. Oh what fun that would be. Buy the II.. hook up, play, return...exchange for the I hook up, play, return, and go for the Reference. Wife will think I'm insane but hey..you only live once!

Interesting location for your sweet spot in your room. Sounds like a corner is not always best suited for a sub. I just may have to wait longer in order to afford the Reference if your are saying it will kill both the I & II. Anything thoughts on how the Reference may compare to an SVS CS-Ultra ?
D.

#7869 - 11/19/03 09:53 AM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

Anyone else got BPX's hooked up ? I don't have mine in hand yet...but based on everything I heard/read....set them to SMALL and cross them a 60Hz seems to be the best setup for these?

#7870 - 11/19/03 04:51 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

I had BPX's for 3 years, they served me well. 60Hz is fine, you could even go with 40 if ya wanted but 60 is good.

And as far as corners, one room I used to have my gear in...the corner was the sweet spot...but the new room, it hates the corners. Its either too audible or too boomy.

MyPF15TL+ liked it on the back wall as well...with the woofer facing the side wall, not pointing at the couch. This made the sub sound very tight and the SPL readings were great.

I don't know how other subs compare to the Reference..I found the models I adore, and I'm sticking with them. Def Tech subs are overlooked in my opinion. They are great

Please, if you get the SuperCube 2 home, get in here and tell me what you think. Thats if your jaw comes up off the floor. The thing weighs 40 lbs, its so tiny, yet it'll rock your room with no signs of strain whatsoever.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

#7871 - 11/20/03 01:07 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I had an interesting question for DefTech after seeing consistent offerings for new SupercubeI's on Ebay at 800.00. Reply from Chet Pelkowski said they are completely ok with ebay selling their speakers whether used or offered as new in box, factory sealed or whatever. He said the only potential drawback is there is no factory warranty offered with these new speakers. If willing to live with that, then go for it.
It kind of surprised me but what the heck a 400 savings (or more considering sales tax on 1200.00) is not to be sneezed at.
I also e-mailed an ebay purchaser of two of these Cubes and he said they were as promised and he was completely satisfied.
How important do you guys think the factory warranty is on DefTech speakers/subs?

#7872 - 11/20/03 01:33 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
D.Rowe Offline
Gunslinger

I've seen some of these too on E-bay in the $800.00 price range. SpoonMan may know off the top of his head what the warranty is on Def tech Super Cubes since his got a I and looking to go for a Reference soon.

It's always nice having the piece of mind of the factory warranty but then again its likely only good for less than 5 years and from what I can see the build quality on these things is excellent.

I'm also looking at the SVS CS-Ultra Subs as a possible choice too ($1299). The guys @ SVS are so good about answering questions specific to your HT setup and room. I've narrowed doen to either a SuperCube or an SVS CS-Ultra.

#7873 - 11/20/03 02:38 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Well, I've seen Supercube 1's on Audiogon go for $800.00 as well, and if its from a seller with a good rating, then theres no huge reason to be too skeptical.

As far as the warranties..

Five years - Loudspeaker drivers, crossovers and cabinets

Three years - Amplifier electronics

For peace of mind, I always like to have the warranty...but if the seller has a good reputation, it's unlikely that something will go wrong with these subs.

And D.Rowe...if you ever need help, or questions answered, Chet @ DefTech is one of the coolest guys I've come across. He makes going with DefTech, an even easier choice for me.

His email addy is..

cpelkowski@definitivetech.com

Feel free to drop him a line at anytime.

I feel guilty about talking about other companies subwoofers in here, seeing as Outlaw is coming out with one themselves. Maybe we shouldn't do this in here.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

[This message has been edited by SpOoNmAn (edited November 20, 2003).]

#7874 - 11/20/03 02:58 PM Re: 950 + 755 + Def Tech Speakers ?
arica9 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bethel, CT, USA
I would stay with Outlaw for any product after what I own and the experience of others and...the over the top customer service. BUT I simply do not have the room for the new Outlaw sub. Already being a DefTech owner as well and being equally impressed with product and service, their Cubes are perfect in size and reputation. Once again size (aparently) does matter.
It's great to find a connectioin with other Outlaw/DefTech owners.

Also I agree about Chet at Def Tech. Just an all around good company.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 111 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM