Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#78469 - 02/21/08 01:00 AM 7075 owner's thoughts?
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minnesota
Now that the 7075 has been out awhile, how are the owners liking them?

#78470 - 02/21/08 04:32 PM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
Well built, stays mildly warm, little ventilation needed. Power - more than enough for most applications. I did use it for some M80's and it sounded ok. But when I used an ATI 1202, they came alive. It would seem the more power fed to M80's the better they sounded. But back to the 7075. As I mentioned, more than enough power for the rest of my speakers (Axiom), I do not know if the speakers, processor or amp is responsible for the following, when listening to familiar music, it is kinda neat to hear "new things". With movies, the dialogue is clear and sound effects great. My room is an odd shape, the surrounds get enough power so that I can hear them. It was not so distinct using a reciever. It is not that easy to get it shipped here (GST/PST and a fee to tell you it is "duty Free"). I know that if I got that "bug" again, this would be an easy sell - but why would I want to sell it when I could just move to another room. I am not that technical, but I am very happy with this amp that I originally used for all 7 channels, but now for five. Customer service was very good when I could not figure out the 12 v trigger and using with the Belkin PF 60. Right now, for Canadians, it is a good time to buy.

#78471 - 02/22/08 12:14 AM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
chas,
My father upgraded from the 1050 to the 990/7075 combo driving paradigm monitor 7 and LMF-1+ handling the low end.
Sounds really nice: on DVD, SACD, and using ITunes radio stream.

Pops is into 2-channel and some movies. Ratio 75/25.
System has been running since thansgiving. I heard it over Xmas for 5 day's. Family is into music/movies so we ran it thru all day events. Very nice setup.
The 7075 could be driven to loud levels and maintain width and not get compressed.

2-channel sounds impressive. i would give it 2 thumbs up.
The amp would be cool to bi-amp mid-smaller towers and/or book shelf speakers in a 5.1 system or 2-channel.

#78472 - 02/22/08 01:27 AM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Great info guys..thanks for the feedback.

How do you biamp using these...split the signal from one preout to two amp channels?

#78473 - 02/22/08 04:17 AM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Chas,
yes, you will have to split the pre-outs to create 2 outputs from the left and right.
Then feed individual channels into the 7075. Then run 2 speaker cables per channel to the left and right.

This will work if you have speakers that can be by-wired or by-amped.

Have fun.....

#78474 - 02/22/08 12:23 PM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
chas Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks again. Any thoughts on how your 7125 compares to the 7075?

#78475 - 02/22/08 03:02 PM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
Altec Offline
Desperado

All Outlaw multichannel amplifiers use what is essentially the same circuit. The only difference is power output, and of course a larger power supply to supply the current.

#78476 - 02/23/08 12:22 AM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Chas and tmdip, I thought biwiring was different from (and theoretically inferior to) biamping. Biwiring as I understand it doesn't require two amplifiers per channel, jut separate tweeter and woofer connections on each speaker - but both feeding the speaker's internal crossover circuitry - so the high-pass filter (attached to the tweeter) can be fed by a different wire or cable from the one feeding the low-pass filter (attached to the woofer). But both cables can perfectly well fed by the same amplifier. Of course for biwiring the external jumper joining the tweeter and woofer binding posts, or whatever, has to be removed. The theoretical advantage is less interaction between the treble and bass signals in the cables. I run my Magneplanar 1.6s that way and I think they sound a tad cleaner, but I can't prove it.
Biamping on the other hand, at least real biamping, requires feeding the preamp's signal, via just one set of interconnects, to an external, line-level crossover network, and any such units good enough for high musical quality aren't cheap. (If anybody knows of good ones costing less than $500 could they tell me?) The crossover has treble and bass line-level outputs that feed separate power amplifiers, or separate sections of the same multichannel power amp, and the cables from those amps go direct to the speakers: no speaker internal crossover. Obviously this can't be done unless the speaker's own crossover circuitry can be removed or at least bypassed. In the Magneplanar line the two top speakers, the 20.1 ($14,000) and the 3.6R (a mere $4800) can be run this way (their manuals even tell how to set the external crossovers) but not my 1.6QRs. The advantage, which is probably more audible, is that intermodulation distortion in the power amp is virtually eliminated and the speakers are driven directly by the amplifier, without any intervening circuitry.
The financial benefit of biamping is that you can have a very high quality 5-channel system, with the left and right mains biamped, using a 7-channel amplifier - and the 7075 would have plenty of power for just about any installation short of literal theater size. The cost, of course, is that line-level crossover - but the cost difference between the 7075 and bigger 7-channel amps might cover that.
But you gotta have biampable speakers.

#78477 - 02/23/08 02:23 AM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Slight name correction: line-level crossovers are more often called active crossovers, while the circuits in speakers are passive crossovers.

#78478 - 02/23/08 02:40 AM Re: 7075 owner's thoughts?
Altec Offline
Desperado

A truly active crossover system will exhibit a much more obvious improvement in sound than either passive bi-amping or bi-wiring. Passive bi-amping has at least _some_ bit of justification in electronic theory, that being load sharing and a bit of isolation, but honestly, the effect of the passive crossover still being in series with the drivers nulls out essentially any benefit that this connection may have.

Bi-wiring is useless, assuming that your speaker cables are of sufficient size in the first place. Speaker companies like to tout their speakers as being bi-wire ready since this makes them seem more "high end", and obviously speaker cable companies like it too. But it's just marketing. wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (butchgo), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts