Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#78087 - 01/11/08 07:46 PM Re: 7700 v. B&K v. Sunfire; A/B v. D, G, H Class?lasses?
Altec Offline
Desperado

Like I mentioned before, I don't doubt your experiences, and yes, the B&K amp probably is less influenced by line distortion. They may also pot their transformers, something that is impractical in the 7700 because of available space.

However, you are doing a real disservice by proclaiming a blanket condemnation of the Outlaw amplifiers for reasons that have more to do with compatibility in your particular case than any flaw of the Outlaw amplifier. As has been noted elsewhere, the vast majority of people have no transformer issues whatsoever with these amps. If it was really a problem, it would manifest it's self with everybody - clearly that is not the case.

#78088 - 01/11/08 09:40 PM Re: 7700 v. B&K v. Sunfire; A/B v. D, G, H Class?lasses?
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
I don't remember making a blanket condemnation about Outlaw nor their amps. All I have done is note my experiences with two 7700 amps vs two B&K and one Kenwood amp.

Obviously, you have not read what I have written on my blog or elsewhere in regards to Outlaw.

However, when push comes to shove and someone asks which they should buy the Outlaw 7700 or the B&K 200.7, assuming they can get the B&K 200.7 at or near same price as the 7700 AND they aren't going to be putting it into an enclosed rack, there is no doubt in my mind that for most people in that circumstance that the B&K will be the better amp for them.

And enough people have complained on the forums about the same or similar issues that it does raise some questions about the design of the amp.

However, as I stated before there's very little risk (about $100 in shipping if Outlaw is still offering free shipping on the 7700) in trying out the 7700.

And seriously, pointing out that you may have problems with humming transformers is hardly condemnation of the product.

At any rate, again, I stand by my original statement above. In my opinion, the B&K is the better buy at or near $2k.

By the way, middlemen add markup, but I know that the Integra Research costs authorized retailers somewhere between $3000-3500. There is a difference for that price vs the Outlaw 7700's price tag of $2149 and it has nothing to do with distribution.

Perhaps I should have saved up and tried out the 7900 instead, as it doesn't seem to have the same issues (at least no one's complained about it yet), but ~$2k was my budget and as such ended up with the B&K. Which as I have said, again, in my opinion, made compromises in more acceptable areas (heat reduction) vs design of the transformers. Oh and if you by potting the transformer you mean putting a metal "shield" around it, yes, that's exactly what they did with the B&K.

At any rate, I think we've given AlaskaHT more than plenty enough information to make an informed choice.

#78089 - 01/11/08 11:14 PM Re: 7700 v. B&K v. Sunfire; A/B v. D, G, H Class?lasses?
Altec Offline
Desperado

Well, obviously we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

By potting, I meant either the mu-metal shielding or epoxy encapsulation. Either of these or a combination of both are very common.

If it becomes a big enough issue, I'm sure Outlaw will implement one or these approaches in the future.

#78090 - 01/12/08 04:24 AM Re: 7700 v. B&K v. Sunfire; A/B v. D, G, H Class?lasses?
jmacari Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
I've got two setups here; 7500/990 and an older (but goodie) BK ST202 amp/Conrad Johnson Sonographe pre-amp (for vinyl)....at times, my 7500 is dead silent, other times it hums, likewise, the BK does the same thing. I can almost set my watch for times it will do it....usually around dinner-time, early morning, etc.,i.e., when there is a high demand for power in my area. After trying different outlets, isolating cords, cable, etc, I just write it off as a less than ideal feed from my local power company....it is not annoying enough to give up the 7500's superb performance, or the older BK for that matter.
Anthem MRX-500/ Outlaw 7500, Paradigm Studio 100's Fronts, Paradigm CC-590 Center, Phase Technology Dipole rears , Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Oppo BDP-103, DIRECTV H22-200 DVR HD receiver, Samsung PN60E8000 3D Plasma 60"
2nd System
B&K ST 202 Amp, Outlaw 990, Rotel RCD 1072CD, Yaqin CD 1 Tube Buffer, Apogee Centaur Minors, Phase Technology Model 10 Sub, Rotel RP-855 turntable, Panasonic DMP-BD30, DIRECTV H21-700 DVR HD receiver, Free Agent Home Theatre+, Vizio 40" LED

#78091 - 01/12/08 07:17 AM Re: 7700 v. B&K v. Sunfire; A/B v. D, G, H Class?lasses?
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by jmacari:
I just write it off as a less than ideal feed from my local power company....
You are absolutely correct as to the source. The line distortion varies with the load placed on the utility transformers in your area. If you were unfortunate enough to be near a heavy manuacturing area, you would get this noise every time a large motor or something similar started was running.

I'm fortunate in that I live in an area where I never experience line distortion. Power outages every time the wind blows or it rains, yes. Distortion, no. :p

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts