Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7796 - 07/29/03 05:53 AM What to get for 3 grand
AKamp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

So here I am, I just moved into a new house and my floor standing speakers don't fit. My wife says how about getting one of those nice little BOSE systems. I think it was the Lifestyle 30 or something like that. I said "Baby, what the F**K are you thinking??" Well maybe not those exact words. Probably more like "Can I really buy something new, really, are you sure Honey, sweety?" So I was thinking $3000 I can do a little better than BOSE. First off I found a good deal on some Boston Acoustics VR-M50's. Beautiful little speakers that sound pretty good to boot. So I am now at $430 including tax. Next I was looking around on EBAY and found some DSI-480 in ceiling speakers to match my little M50s. Not a great deal but better than anything that I could find locally, $350 shipped. Grand total of 780 bucks now. But now I have these great sounding but pewny little speakers so I figure I had better get a new sub. After looking for quite a while I decided I needed a HSU or a SVS to add a little kick. Well I guess I was meant to get the HSU because for $400 shipped to my house with next day service, well I just couldn't pass that deal up. Grand total $1180. Now I bet you are all wondering what I am doing on the outlaw page. $3000 - $1180 leaves me with 1820 dollars left to spend. So coming hopefully today will be my brand new 7100 and a B-stock 950 waiting to sit on my rack. That brings the grand total up to $2860. Not quite enough for a matching front center speaker but maybe I can find a good deal on Audiogon or EBAY. So hopefully it will sound "just" a little bit better than the $3000 BOSE system that my wife said I could get. But don't you think those jewel cubes are so cute??

#7797 - 07/29/03 10:28 PM Re: What to get for 3 grand
Larry Fine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, Va, USA
No, but my sister does. I couldn't talk her out of it. I'm so ashamed!

------------------
Larry Fine
www.fineelectricco.com
My system

#7798 - 07/29/03 10:29 PM Re: What to get for 3 grand
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Sounds like a good deal. Hope it all comes together well. I'm sure you'll love the 950; I certainly do.

Being a Canuck I would normally politely suggest a good Canadian loudspeaker system (Mirage, Paradigm, Energy, psb, take your pick they're all great!) to anyone who asked. But the other week a home theatre about-to-be friend of mine asked me to spec out a system for her. Being that I'm on vacation I had time to wander around Ottawa and check out systems from several places. And the one that I finally came up with was the Definitive Tech's ProCinema 60 system. At $1100Cdn (just over $800US by my calculator - probably a lower street price south of the 49th) they were an outstanding value - with terrific sound. You could probably spend a little more and step up to the 80's or 100's, but the little 60's really put out. They are perfect for my friend's apartment - and will no doubt sound great when she moves into her new house later this year.

So for anyone out there in the market for a small, inexpensive, 5.1 speaker system, I highly recommend that you check out the Def Techs. (But please also give a few Canadian speakers a listen as well!)

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM