Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#77888 - 07/17/07 11:44 PM My new 7500 has issues
Jack_Dotson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
Hello folks. After trying a few other amps I came back to Outlaw and bought a new 7500 (used to own the 755). It still appears to be the best bang for the buck, but I'm having some issues and mine is going back.

I have the buzz that others have experienced. I also own a Acurus 200X3 and Odyssey Stratos and neither have issues in my system.

Dead silent until I turn the volume up one notch and then there is a constant buzz. I've worked through ground loop issues many times in the past and I really don't think this is the problem.

The buzz stays at the same level regardless of volume. My pre-amp has a ground lift switch so I tried it and it made no difference what so ever. Disconnected everything from the pre and fired it back up, still have the same issue.

I'm using the balanced connections. I haven't tried the RCA's and don't intend to. One of the primary reasons I bought this amp was becasue it's a fully balanced unit. BTW, my Odyssey also has balanced inputs.

To make matters worse, today I hooked up the 12V remote turn-on/off and it has issues as well. Turns on and off just fine, problem is that every time I switch inputs on my pre-amp it powers down the amp. Remove the 12V trigger, no problem.

Actually, the amp only powers down momentarily and then it comes back on.

Guys, I really think some of these units must have issues. This is a common thread here and I don't have this problem with the other two amps I own. Didn't have it with the Belles I sold a few months ago and didn't have it with my trusty Outlaw model-755. That unit was as solid as a rock, never a single issue.

Anyhow, I'm really bummed. Yes, they do have the 30 day return policy, but I'm still going to be out of my shipping cost (both ways) not to mention I bought five of their balanced cables which are not returnable either.

I have really been pro Outlaw for many years, but I think they have some issues to resolve with this amp.

I'll be calling them tomorrow to get my return authoriztion.

Back to the drawing board. Any recommendations for a good five channel amp?

Expensive trial for this one. frown

#77889 - 07/18/07 02:13 AM Re: My new 7500 has issues
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Jack,

I am sorry to hear this. Please ask for me when you call.

Thanks,

Scott

#77890 - 07/18/07 03:23 AM Re: My new 7500 has issues
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sorry to hear about the problems you've had. Hopefully Scott can help you out.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Dotson:
To make matters worse, today I hooked up the 12V remote turn-on/off and it has issues as well. Turns on and off just fine, problem is that every time I switch inputs on my pre-amp it powers down the amp. Remove the 12V trigger, no problem.

Actually, the amp only powers down momentarily and then it comes back on.
What pre-amp are you using? This may not be the issue you're running into at all (so ignore it if you know it's not applicable to your case) but it is reminiscentreminscient of the way trigger 2 on the Model 990 behaves: when enabled for two inputs, switching from one of those inputs to the other causes the trigger output to stop momentarily. With the 990, the solution is to use the trigger 1 output.

#77891 - 07/19/07 12:36 AM Re: My new 7500 has issues
Jack_Dotson Offline
Gunslinger

My pre is an Arcam AVP-700. It has a few control inputs and outputs for the 2nd zone and a couple of other control outputs for signal detection for video signal type when used in Europe. However, only the one is designed to be a 12V trigger for the amp.

I tried again today with a different cable; same result. However, today it didn't do it every time, only most times. Another funny thing is that even though the light goes from green to amber and you hear the click you normally hear when the unit powers up, the amp continues to provide sound through the speakers even though the unit is going through a power cycle.

Maybe stored energy?

I talked with Scott today and he recommended I try to ground the two together, but I had already done that. So he recommended I remove a little of the powder coating where the ground wire is and try it again.

I didn't do this, but I did losen the screw to where I could get clear access to the metal and it made no difference.

The hum is not very loud and you have to be close to the speakers with no noise to hear it, but it's certainly there. My Zu speakers are also have a high sensativity rating of 101dB @ 1W so any hum will be obvious where it might not be so apparant with a less sensative speakers. Who knows?

However, I must add that my other amps are dead quiet.

Of course Outlaw's customer service is outstanding as always and he wants to send me a new unit, so I have to decide if I'm willing to give this another run. But at this point I seriously doubt it. I'll probably just eat my losses and go another route.

Just really frustrated at this point and after reading some of the issues other have had my confidence is just now real high at this point.

#77892 - 07/19/07 02:22 AM Re: My new 7500 has issues
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
Did you try and isolate the problem by disconnecting your sources from the amp, checking that the hum is gone, then reconnecting one source at a time? Trial and error trouble shooting is the way to ensure that it is not cabling and not the amp itself.

Some shoddy transformers have been known to induce hum, but I doubt this with the Outlaw as my 770 unit is dead silent.

#77893 - 07/19/07 03:19 AM Re: My new 7500 has issues
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Jack:

Just for completeness sake try a "cheater"
You know. Plug your three-prong cord into a device which essentially lifts the ground.

HTH
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#77894 - 07/19/07 06:35 PM Re: My new 7500 has issues
Jack_Dotson Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by nfaguys:
Jack:

Just for completeness sake try a "cheater"
You know. Plug your three-prong cord into a device which essentially lifts the ground.

HTH
I tried a cheater the first day, made no difference. Been reading back through this forum and this seems to be a common issue with these amps. Very sensative to hum/ground issues.

#77895 - 07/20/07 11:32 AM Re: My new 7500 has issues
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Jack:
Though I don't have hum with my 7700 (or my 755 in other system) please post the solution you find when you find it. It will be helpful to others.

My solution was to use balanced cables and to be sure I had no induction from AC near audio cables.
I didn't use a cheater, however, but it was a diagnostic suggestion others have talked about.
Best of luck.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts