Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#77474 - 06/25/06 11:21 AM question from the new guy
daveauk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm running a 7.2 setup and am in question as whether or not I need the 7700 or 7500. Will I run into spl problems running the two back channels off the reciever. I am using a Yamaha rxv 2500 reciever.

#77475 - 06/25/06 12:54 PM Re: question from the new guy
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
daveauk,

As a general rule you should hear improved sound with a separate amp versus the using the amp in a receiver. I don't have any experience with your Yamaha, but I base my opinion on limited testing I did with my Pioneer Elite reciever with the ATI 2005 (Outlaw 7500 clone) I'm currently using with a 990. The ATI improved the sound of the Pioneer. A few questions to consider when looking for an amp: What speakers you are using (efficiency)?; How big is your room?; How loud do you listen to movies and music?

If you are going to continue with a 7.2 system and possibly replace the Yamaha with a pre/pro, a seven channel amp might be a good choice. The power of the amp should be based upon the questions above. Should in the future you change out the Yamaha for a pre/pro with up-to-date features you'll be ready to go amp-wise.

#77476 - 06/25/06 02:33 PM Re: question from the new guy
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You should not have problems with balancing levels even if you leave the surround back channels on your receiver (although you'll definitely need to re-calibrate your system, and when you do so you may notice those two channels requiring a higher level than the others to get the same SPL's).

As AvFan points out, going with a seven-channel amp now will allow you to move to a processor later without needing to also get additional amplification.

#77477 - 06/25/06 07:18 PM Re: question from the new guy
daveauk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks to both. AV Fan your initial response is what I had hoped to hear. I am anticipating an improvement in sound quality with a dedicated amp that I currently do not have. The efficency for the mains offically from the website is:
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 91dB

As a novice I do not pretend to know where this falls on a scale of excellent to poor however I purchased the set 1 yr old from a buddy with limitless funds and upgrades as the mood suits him. I enveyed his setup for nearly 9 mo until he upgraded again and I picked it up for a song.

I have always considered myself one who appreciates a well constructed home theatre while never loosing the potential for music. And certainly I have not made the last changes.

However I was glad to hear both of you agree on the recomendation of a 7 channel vs the 5 regarding potential up grades.

Thanks again.

And if either of you can explain the difference between the ballanced amplification of a 7700 vs the unballance 7200 i'd love to know.
Gonk your

#77478 - 06/25/06 10:29 PM Re: question from the new guy
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Ahh, the balanced vs. unbalanced amp question...daveauk, this has been debated many times on this and other forums. I think the issue may be what kind of interconnect do you need. I encourage you to search this site for detailed answers from those that have a much more technical background than me. However, the consensus seems to be that if you have a noisy electronic environment balanced cables will cancel it out. The opportunity for noise increases as your cable length increases. That said most folks don't have a noisy environment or long cable lengths between their amp and pre/pro. So, unbalanced cables (min 50 ohm cables) work very well for them.

Amplifier Technology Inc (ATI) makes Outlaws amps so I encourage you to look over their web site on their balanced amp technology. It may give you some insights regarding how balanced design works.

#77479 - 06/30/06 04:06 AM Re: question from the new guy
barend Offline
Gunslinger

My experience is, you can't have enough power.
I've been running 5 * 200W in my smallish 4x4m leg-of-a-u-shaped-room and even then the bass was so much more controlled, I couldn't believe it.
Also there was no congestion at loud levels anymore, I remember listening to Mahler's final parts of the 2nd and 8th symphonies made the voice(s) stand out very clearly from the orchestra, with no distortion at all.
So if you can spare the cash, go for the 7700!
It's a bargain really compared to the competition.
I would order soon, because there's a price increase coming up I believe.
Barend

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts