abuse@wmeckle.com
Vanity Web page at:
http://www.wmeckle.com

#7729 - 06/22/03 04:55 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I checked out your DIY page. Some fine looking cabinets! I also noticed you have a lot of Altec Lansing stuff there. I used to work for them when they were in Anaheim, CA, and had a blast there. So many things to play with I use A7-500s as my main fronts, although they have been pretty heavily tweaked, and are run bi-amplified with an external crossover at 1.2Khz.

As for your interconnects, you might try these:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000069.html

#7730 - 06/22/03 05:29 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
If memory serves, A.L. has an office near me at the NJ/PA border.

Jeff

#7731 - 06/22/03 05:30 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
P.S. I concur: those are some fantastic cabinets!

Jeff

#7732 - 06/22/03 05:49 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Jeff:

I think the professional division of Altec has risen from the ashes somewhat and is in Oklahoma City, OK. When they went belly up in Calif, they moved there only to be gobbled up by Electro-Voice. Then they were bought by somebody else. The consumer division is nothing but the name. It's a real shame. I used to love rummaging through their "museum" collection which was basically the history of modern sound reproduction right there for me to play with. The factory itself was real old school workmanship. They had a metal shop supervisor from Germany who trained in the "old world" way. One thing he told me is that students were handed a chunk of metal and a file, which they had to transform to a precise cube of a certain dimension within close tolerances. He built me some chassis and faceplates that would bring tears to your eyes.

#7733 - 06/22/03 07:56 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
wmeckle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Phoenix Arizona USA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
I checked out your DIY page. Some fine looking cabinets! I also noticed you have a lot of Altec Lansing stuff there. I used to work for them when they were in Anaheim, CA, and had a blast there. So many things to play with I use A7-500s as my main fronts, although they have been pretty heavily tweaked, and are run bi-amplified with an external crossover at 1.2Khz.

Hi Soundhound:
25 years ago I had a 4 channel system using 4 Altec A7s. Ahead of my time ?
As for your interconnects, you might try these:
Actually, I make all my interconnects, Neglex 4 conductor mic cable ($.63 per ft.) and RCA plugs from Milstek ($2.08 each).
Thanks for the tip though.
I've also started using the THX coding scheme for interconects, makes it easier to follow and trace in a complex system.
Left front = Red
Right front = Blue
Center = Green
Left rear = White w/red tracer
Right Rear = White w/blue tracer
Sub (LFE) = Black

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000069.html

#7734 - 06/22/03 08:14 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I've used the Neglex in my studio for mic runs. For my own equipment projects, I use BNCs instead of RCAs. The crimp BNC is really easy to terminate onto RG59.

I've been playing with the idea of constructing an infinite baffle cabnet for my mains using the Altec 416 8B driver. I would probably keep the cabinet volume about the same as the A7 cabinet so as not to raise the resonant frequency of the woofer too much. I cross over now to my subs (four 18" JBLs) at 60Hz with a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley. I would want to keep the woofer offset to the rear of the cabinet so the physical alignment with the horn wouldn't be uspset. Any thoughts on this?

#7735 - 06/22/03 08:41 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
wmeckle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
I've used the Neglex in my studio for mic runs. For my own equipment projects, I use BNCs instead of RCAs. The crimp BNC is really easy to terminate onto RG59.

Hi Soundhound:
I'd prefer BNCs also, but it is too late to convert everything now, also the BNC sockets are too large to fit on most later home components.

I've been playing with the idea of constructing an infinite baffle cabnet for my mains using the Altec 416 8B driver. I would probably keep the cabinet volume about the same as the A7 cabinet so as not to raise the resonant frequency of the woofer too much. I cross over now to my subs (four 18" JBLs) at 60Hz with a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley. I would want to keep the woofer offset to the rear of the cabinet so the physical alignment with the horn wouldn't be uspset. Any thoughts on this?

E-Mail me to: soundhound@wmeckle.com and I'll reply with an Altec factory bulletin attached that details the Xover hook up depending on the offset of the horn to woofer.
Don't think you'll have any problems with a 60 HZ Xover and a 5 or 6 cu. ft. sealed box. Easy to measure the Fb rise though.

#7736 - 06/24/03 05:50 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Hey wmeckle,
nice work on your speaker cabinets. I too have done DIY speaker projects and have been enjoying the higher quality and value over store bought ones. I believe it will do a lot of good to convince other Outlaws about the benefits of DIY and kit speakers. Most of Outlaw fans if not all, have something in common. It is to get quality audio products at competitive price. Perhaps a coherence can be achieved from electronic signals (pre-amp) to air vibrations (driver cone) if they delve into DIY or kit speakers. I was a bit nervous and skeptical about building my own speakers at the beginning. Once I started to see my friends' reaction to my home built speakers versus their store bought ones, I knew my effort was well worth it. They were upset that mine sound better than theirs and I've spent less. What about the custom finish options? Will the name brands even give that kind of option at a competitive price? I doubt it.

Here's what I would say to other Outlaws. Give DIY and kit speakers a serious consideration. See the link page and look up Madisound, Parts express, Acoustic visions & Adire audio.

What is your opinion on home built speakers wmeckle?

#7737 - 06/24/03 06:57 PM Re: Using the ICBM in my H T system
wmeckle Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

What is your opinion on home built speakers wmeckle?[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Spiker:
When I started designing and building speaker cabinets it was because lusted after speakers I couldn't afford, so if I wanted that quality, I had to learn to DIY.
Now later I prefer to build my own cabinets, I can get EXACTLY what I want in the trade off between size, shape and finish.
Kits seem to be dead and DYI seems to be dying. Too bad, lots of satisfaction in designing and bulding your own, besides the knowledge gained.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts