Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#77272 - 04/14/06 02:28 PM Re: Emailed ATI
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Western KY
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
i currently use the denon 3805 with seperate amps...
What amps are you using?
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni

#77273 - 04/15/06 07:39 AM Re: Emailed ATI
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Rat,

Sorry about the delay. I've been out of the country (sigh...again). The most noticible difference between the M200 and the 755 that I was able to discern was a lack of dynamics. There just seemed to be more "punch" and control over the speakers from the 755. The 755 also seemed to result is a wider and more realistic soundstage.

I haven't heard the 2200 or the 7500 so I can't say for sure that those differences still exist.

It's not just about output power.

Cheers,

#77274 - 04/15/06 09:57 AM Re: Emailed ATI
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Alabama
Ritz: hopefully your trip was productive!

What I am trying to understand is what is causing the difference (from an electronic standpoint) between these two amps?

If you look at the specs, they are very similar. The only "major" difference that I can think of is, at high power, the monoblock switches to class G (or something like that) whereas the other does not.

Alright sportsfans, is this enough to hear a difference?

#77275 - 04/15/06 07:35 PM Re: Emailed ATI
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
seemed to result is a wider and more realistic soundstage
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand this. I thought channel separation was related to crosstalk. Monoblocks would have better separation than multichannel by design.

Wouldn't "soundstage" be a product of the pre/pro?

Please give me the correct interpretation.

#77276 - 04/15/06 09:56 PM Re: Emailed ATI
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Bug: we don't seem to be getting much interest on this thread????

I'd really like to have some more information as to what REALLY caused the difference.

#77277 - 04/16/06 12:29 AM Re: Emailed ATI
Shawn Parr Offline
Gunslinger

I don't have any experience with either amp, but there are some specs missing from the site that could have some relevance.

Intermodulation Distortion is listed for the 7500 but not the 2200. Also damping factor is not included. Slew rate is not reported for the 2200 (although most modern amps are fine in this regard).

Also, while many people don't believe anything that is different about about 20Khz makes a difference, there is plenty of evidence that a component, or design, that has issues in the ultrasonics can manifest issues within the audible domain, even though they are extremely difficult, or in some cases impossible, to measure in the audible range.

#77278 - 04/16/06 01:25 PM Re: Emailed ATI
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

The NHT A1 (same as M200) has;

Damping factor: >100 into 6 ohms.

So Rat, what are you saying? Buy and try?

Bug

#77279 - 04/16/06 04:00 PM Re: Emailed ATI
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Also, while many people don't believe anything that is different about about 20Khz makes a difference, there is plenty of evidence that a component, or design, that has issues in the ultrasonics can manifest issues within the audible domain, even though they are extremely difficult, or in some cases impossible, to measure in the audible range.
I believe scientific evidence. Got any?

#77280 - 04/16/06 09:27 PM Re: Emailed ATI
Shawn Parr Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
I believe scientific evidence. Got any?

Quote:
For example, there is an apocryphal story about Rupert Neve that tells of a console channel that sounded particularly "bad". It was later discovered that it was oscillating at some ultrasonic frequency, like 48 kHz. Rupert Neve is rumored to have seized upon this as "proof" that the ear can hear well beyond 20 kHz. However, there exist an entire range of perfectly plausible mechanisms that require NO ultrasonic acuity to detect such a problem. For example, the existence of ANY nonlinearity in the system would result in the production of intermodulation tones that would fall well within the 20 kHz audio band and certainly would make it sound awful. Even the problem that was causing the oscillation itself could lead to massive artifacts at much lower frequencies that would completely account for the alleged sound of the mixer in the complete absence of a 48 kHz "whistle."
From: http://www.promastering.com/pages/techtalk_mac/tt-3_mac.html

Quote:
Rupert Neve does a test where he changes sine waves to square waves with high fundamentals, and people can hear the difference when they should not theoretically be able to, as the only difference is in harmonics that are above the commonly accepted audible range. He also tells a story of Geoff Emmerick correctly pointing out a couple of improperly terminated channels just by listening to the console output when the differences were only a few db down at around 50 kHz. In both cases above, there may be other distortions at work that explain the differences heard, but it remains interesting nonetheless. It has also been pointed out that trumpet with a harmon mute has a harmonic near 50 kHz which is near the amplitude of the fundamental, thus the argument of the upper harmonics being so low as not to matter is not an entirely accurate statement.
From: http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_world_above/index.html

Quote:
There are less-formal experiments that purport to show that we can hear above 20 kHz, and perhaps the best known of these is the one that Rupert Neve — whom I have a tremendous amount of admiration for, although I think he's completely wrong on this — does. He plays his audience a 10kHz sine wave and then a 10kHz square wave, and everyone in the place agrees that the two waves sound different. Therefore, he concludes, because the lowest harmonic above the fundamental in a square wave is the third, we are hearing 30 kHz!

Of course this is, as the English say, “tosh,” and many before me have pointed this out. There are a lot of reasons why we can hear the difference between those two tones, none of which have anything to do with ultrasonic sensitivity. One is simply that the energy of a square wave is higher than a sine wave at the same nominal amplitude, so the square wave sounds louder. Another is that any transformers in the signal path, unless they are exquisitely designed and constructed for passing such high frequencies, will introduce slewing and intermodulation distortion from the square wave — not only from the third harmonic, but from all the odd harmonics above it — that will have products well inside the audible range. And, if somehow a perfectly amplified 10kHz square wave were to make it all the way to the speakers, then the speakers would create their own distortion, which would be quite different from the distortion a sine wave would make.
As you can see there have been a number of demonstrations where signal that should be out of our hearing range have caused signal change that is in our hearing range.

A number of people don't believe the Rupert Neve story about Geoff Emmerick and hearing an issue in a mixer that involved a component causing issues at 50khz. I had the lucky occurrence of hearing the story from Mr. Neve himself.

#77281 - 04/16/06 10:20 PM Re: Emailed ATI
ratpack Offline
Gunslinger

Bug: I just don't really know if you should buy and try it. Of course, it may be the only way that you could convince yourself. I guess that you could return it if you aren't impressed with the results!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM