Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#77124 - 02/18/06 12:34 PM Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
For anyone interested here is a link to the review of the 7700 I posted on the Sound & Vision forum:

7700 Review
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#77125 - 02/19/06 10:12 PM Re: Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
korkster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Jersey
Hey MZ,

Just read your very thorough review. My thoughts exactly. I don't know how any other 200 watt amp would compare but the 7500 definitely has made a good impression.

I've got the Axiom M80v2's home right now for a try out. I have had them for a little over a week and while they were hooked up to the 7125 they sounded nice but I wasn't overwhelmed. Then I hooked up the 7500 on Saturday. Wow, do these things love the extra power. Some of my O.K. CD's sound good but the well engineered CD's sound great! I didn't commit to the whole Epic 80 system because I didn't want to have to send the whole thing back if I didn't like them, so I've been doing mostly 2 channel listening. I figured the M80v2's would be a good test as to how the Axioms perform. I'm still not ready to commit 100% to Axiom yet but after hooking up the 7500 I'm well on my way.

I actually have some Magnapans showing up this week for a test drive. I'm curious to hear the maganplaner technology. We'll see.

Regards

#77126 - 02/21/06 02:58 PM Re: Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Western KY
mxpro5,

I think you have done a nice job on your review of the 7700. I think the Axioms you are considering will be worth the 30 day trial. You will escpecially like the EP500, IMHO. It is a sub you can drive to earthquake levels without hurting it.

korkster,

I am glad to see the 80s improved with your 7700. They improved when I added the Outlaw Monoblocks to my system.

Good listening to you both!
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni

#77127 - 02/21/06 10:33 PM Re: Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
corsabrin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Westland, MI
korkster,

How are you liking those M80v2's? These are on my short list along with Revel's Concerta F12's. I have heard the Revel's and I was very impressed with them. I was originally looking at Paradigm Studio 100's, but hearing those side by side with the Revel's, the Revel's just blew them away in my opinion. The Revels was just more life like and engaging and the Paradigms seemed very flat and too clinical.

The M80's are in my price range, but the in home demo only kinda is holding me back. I would hate to have to pay for shipping these back if I didn't like them. Please let me know what you think of the M80's and of other speakers you have tried.

Thanks!

#77128 - 02/22/06 11:10 AM Re: Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Western KY
Quote:
Originally posted by corsabrin:
I would hate to have to pay for shipping these back if I didn't like them.
corsabrin,

From where you live the return shipping for 2 M80s would be $40-50. I spent that much or more driving to auditions.
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni

#77129 - 02/24/06 09:54 PM Re: Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
korkster Offline
Gunslinger

Corsabrin,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner but I had a family emergency to attend to. I have to agree with Bug, you shouldn't worry about the shipping cost of $40-$50 when you're making a decision to spend $1,300. If you don't check them out you'll always be wondering.

I can't speak towards the Revel's as I've never heard them. I can say this about the M80's: they are a very dynamic speaker. I have a large room (16'x25' with a 14' vaulted ceiling). They certainly make their presence known and sound real nice with the extra power of the 7500 as opposed to when I had the 7125 hooked up to them. They seem to love the extra juice.

I actually just got a pair of Magnapan MMG's to try alongside the M80's. So far they are doing a fair job, especially at half the cost of the M80's, but to this point I have to give the nod to the M80's. Like I said though, it might not be a fair fight as the MMG's are the bottom line speaker from Magnapan. Magnapan uses these as their introduction model by offering them factory direct, just like Axiom, for 60 days with a full refund if you send them back. I couldn't resist giving them a try after having heard some of their bigger brothers at a local audio shop. It's a very interesting technology.

I would love to do a side by side with the Paradigms but I don't know if I want to get into making some kind of arrangement with the store to buy them and then have to return them if they lose. I think the M80's would compare pretty well. Regarding the Studio 100's, I listened to them next to the Studio 60's and I liked the 60's much better. Have you listened to anything else in the Paradigm Reference line?

As always with speakers personal taste is a big factor and only you can decide what you like to hear. That's why I think it would be worth your while to have a listen to the Axioms, plus it's a lot of fun. Maybe if you get the M60's instead the cost won't be prohibitive regarding shipping. I'm told the 60's compare very well with the 80's; the 80's are for the most part just a bit louder. Anyway, good luck and let us know what you decide.

Regards.

#77130 - 02/24/06 11:24 PM Re: Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
The MMGs will sound better after a few hours of usage. They are also very sensitive to placement. You want them out in the room a few feet from the wall for best effect.

Cheers,

#77131 - 02/25/06 09:59 AM Re: Screw My Intial Thoughts - Here's What I Really Think of the 7700
korkster Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Ritz!

I thought you might weigh in. I don't want to take over this thread with speaker stuff but for $550 I don't see much out there that could compare with these MMG's right out of the box. As long as you have a sub-woofer hooked up with them. I have them about 3 to 4 feet away from the wall (which my wife isn't too keen about) and about 6 feet apart, angled towards the sitting area a bit. They sound very nice, kind of "laid back" in a good sort of way. You could listen to them all day without any fatigue. I know the 1.6's you have must sound awesome, but their size is going to keep me from getting them, at least for our family room (WAF).

Anyway, I've got 60 days to play around with the MMG's before I have to commit to them. That's a pretty good stretch of time. I only have a couple of weeks left to decide about the Axioms. I'm kind of thinking that maybe the Axioms will be my HT speakers and somewhere down the line I'll try for a nice 2 channel set-up with Maggies taking center stage. We'll see.

Regards.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts