Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#77072 - 02/08/06 12:11 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
Doug917 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Without getting really detailed and somewhat boring, it comes down to which metal has more valence electrons. Silver has more than Gold, so they can be torn away easier and it is more conductive for that reason. If you want more info, do a google search for Bohr's Atomic Theory. This differnece would still be very negligible.

#77073 - 02/08/06 12:59 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
syvlvr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: So Cal
Ok, so a little further, what are folx using for their interconnects/speaker runs? Informal poll...and, so I don't break etiquette, is this better handled in another area?

#77074 - 02/08/06 07:33 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
For interconnects, I’m using Belden 1694A, new cable when I constructed the interconnects, rated to 3GHz for Digital Video, with Canare crimp-style RCA connectors. Shouldn’t lose too much at under 50KHz!

For loudspeaker cable, I’m also using video coax cable, this time surplus Belden 8281. I’m not using the center conductor at all, just the two-layer, tinned copper braid shield. This dual layer braid has a DC resistance equal to about 11 gauge solid copper, a very decently low resistance. A speaker at 50 feet would require the signal to make a 100 foot round trip. Using this cable, the current traveling to this speaker and back experiences only a 0.11-ohm resistance from the 'coax speaker cable.' Using only the outer layer is like running the current through a flexible, insulated, tinned copper pipe so there’s no current trying to flow where even the very small back EMF would concentrate in the center of a normal conductor. Even though this is a somewhat stiff cable, I think I've gained the benefits of some more esoteric cable but for a low price.

Have I gone a bit overboard? Probably, but I spent less than twice as much as buying off-the-shelf RS interconnects and medium gauge zip cord and I think I’m getting very near higher-end performance.

#77075 - 02/08/06 11:39 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
syvlvr,

For your poll...I recently made all my interconnects using RG59 Belden 1505A coaxial with Steren PermaSeal RCA connectors. See the post on RG6 for subwoofers on the Interconnect page. This allowed for a clean install in my component cabinet. Let me know and I'll post my "recipe" for the interconnects. bestbang4thebuck's Canare connectors with Belden 1694A is certainly a fine interconnect too. For speaker cable I used Cables To Go's bulk in-wall 14/2 cable when I remodeled my home theater, er family room, about three years ago. The speaker wire is terminated at a wall plate behind my cabinet and I use banana plugs on both the wall plate and amp. The speaker wire is bare at each speaker.

#77076 - 02/09/06 07:57 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
syvlvr Offline
Gunslinger

Interesting, so you guys are diy and really happy with the results. I've been getting more and more skeptical with these huge, hyped cables. One friend has these thick MIT cable for his Vandersteens, guess they sound fine, but not for that kinda kwan!

For me, have currently a mish-mash of Monster, plus older stuff never heard of, and audioquest. Thinking of getting some silver for the speakers, which in the manual they do suggest. Still on the fence about how much the aftermarket power cables change the sound.

#77077 - 02/09/06 07:58 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
syvlvr Offline
Gunslinger

Doh...till I bother with my sig, my main stereo speakers are Onix Ref 1 mk 2's.

#77078 - 02/09/06 08:54 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
We use these, http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/catalog/BuildPage.aspx?BuildPageID=1484 , from Leviton. We made our own component cables, ( tough to find a manufactured Plenum rated cable), and they work great!!! Just make sure you get teh white dielectric to the top of the inside sleeve. Jim

#77079 - 02/09/06 11:51 PM Re: Basic Connection Question
AvFan Offline
Desperado

syvlr,

I've read a lot of posts on a number of sites about cables and both sides of the debate (do they or don't they make a real difference) are passionate and feel they are correct. I had some custom length component and analog audio cables made for an in-wall install about three years ago. My local electronics outfit used an RG59 coaxial terminated with pretty generic RCA connectors and they work just fine. I guess I have grown more skeptical that high end cables will make a difference I can hear or see. The Steren Permaseal I RCA connector and the tool allowed me to make interconnects that were the correct length at a reasonable cost and they work fine. IMO, if a person can perceive a difference between cables it would be up to them to determine if the cost justified the improved sound.

#77080 - 02/10/06 12:26 AM Re: Basic Connection Question
syvlvr Offline
Gunslinger

Uh-oh, feelin an off-topic coming! How do you like your Harmony 880 AvFan? Mine's coming any day. Integrate well with all your gear, esp the 990?

#77081 - 02/10/06 08:25 AM Re: Basic Connection Question
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Thats all from me on cables. I like the 880 and so does my family. My kids had it figured out before I did! The Harmony web page used to program the remote is a little clunky but I think with a little more effort on my part I can improve how the remote works. I going to spend some time this weekend fine tuning. Enjoy your new 880 and let the forum know what you think.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 93 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM