Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#7688 - 07/07/03 03:51 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I confess - I put that picture on the screen with Adobe Photoshop!! I actually took the picture though, if that counts for anything The screen is 10 feet wide, not diagonal.

#7689 - 07/07/03 11:57 PM Re: The Soundhound System
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
For soundhound.....

Forgive me Soundhound, maybe I missed where you posted the models of your surrounds. At a glance, they look like the JBL's used at the local Cinemark theatres. Again, if it was on your page, Im sorry for bothering you with this.

Another thing...

I noticed you mention the comeback of the Altecs. Isn't/wasn't there a relationship between Altec and JBL? Im going back in time here, back far enough before Harmon Kardon gobbled everyone up. I was under the impression they were closely related. I assumed James Lansings last name had something to do with it.

As far as I know, JBL speakers are indeed used and approved by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences which makes this next comment seem untrue...

"The first and only speaker series to be approved by the Research Council of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the A7 was the worldwide standard for motion picture playback throughout the 1950s, '60s, and '70s, enjoying widespread use in recording studios, night clubs, and rock venues."

The word ONLY grabbed my attention. I remember some of these things because in the beginning of my home theatre obsession(about 12 years ago), I was under the impression that JBL speakers, the ones found at BestBuy and Circuit City, were high end. I did all the research I could and came across little tidbits of interesting info and after all these years, I am now recalling some of them.

I guess I'm a little bored and am looking for some conversation

And finally, please check out http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000263.html to see if you feel like replying. I was checking out some of the screens for projectors such as the Stewart Grayhawk line. I had no idea they were that pricey.

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

[This message has been edited by SpOoNmAn (edited July 08, 2003).]

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#7690 - 07/08/03 12:12 AM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Yup, my surrounds are the ones at your local cinema - JBL 8330s. They're pretty good speakers, and they are a "reference" speaker for me when I mix.

James B. Lansing came to work for Altec in the 1940s (or thereabouts) and lent his name to Altec. He quit Altec Lansing and started JBL (James B Lansing). Shortly thereafter he committed suicide. All this sorrid history can be had on the JBL website where there is a good article on this whole era.

As for the marketing line for the A-7 speaker, I can't refute or confirm the claim. I do know the A-7 was used in practally all cinemas and a lot of recording studios. There were bigger brothers, the A-1, A-2, A-8 etc. The A-1 was HUGE, something like 15 feet wide. The A-7 that Altec is coming out with is not actually the vintage I have, which is earlier. The one they are making is of the era when I worked for them in the late 70s and early 80s. They weren't nearly as good in my opinion as the ones I have, however they apparently upgraded the crossover network, which was always the A-7's weak point, and the reason the speaker got such a bad reputation in PA applications. I use mine with an external active crossover network which solves the problem very well, and they are driven by all those tube amps in my pictures. They DO sound sweet!

I don't really keep up on the projector market, cuz I'm an audio kind of guy. My projector (Sony VPL-400Q) is serving me well, and I intend to keep it until something really better comes along.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited July 08, 2003).]

#7691 - 07/08/03 01:16 AM Re: The Soundhound System
SpOoNmAn Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Independence, Ohio, USA!!
Yeah I bet your speakers sound most excellent. And thanks for the projector comment, and JBL history

------------------
Play it LoUd!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/spoonmandts

#7692 - 07/10/03 01:44 PM Re: The Soundhound System
gw10nt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Frederick, MD
What is that in the rack to the left of the Soundcraft, a Collins? Very nice.

#7693 - 07/10/03 01:55 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Good Eyes! Yes, that is a vintage Collins limiter that works like new. You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a schematic of it would you???

#7694 - 07/10/03 05:17 PM Re: The Soundhound System
gw10nt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Frederick, MD
If that's a 26U, try here,

http://www.collinsradio.org/26U-1-_07-58_.PDF

Otherwise try here

http://www.collinsradio.org/html/manuals.html

Especially check out the Specifications Data section where they specify audible noise as "none." For comparison purposes, forty-some years later Outlaw only claims a 102dB S/N ratio for the 950 :-).

[This message has been edited by gw10nt (edited July 10, 2003).]

#7695 - 07/10/03 06:43 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Thanks for the link - I've been trying to find this info for 12 years!!! It looks like my unit. Would you believe I got it at a college auction for $10.00, and I've been offered $5,000.00 for it.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited July 10, 2003).]

#7696 - 07/17/03 02:24 AM Re: The Soundhound System
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
SH: You are cool as ice.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts