Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7678 - 06/11/03 12:43 PM Re: The Soundhound System
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
In my early days of television (the late 70's) I had a television engineer friend that really liked the horns by Emilar (sp?) for mids/highs. He was building custom two-way systems with these. Ever had the chance to use/listen to these? I wonder if they are still manufacturing.

#7679 - 06/11/03 12:45 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I've heard of Emilar (sp?) but never heard them that I can remember. I think they now reside in the dust bin of ancient audio history

#7680 - 07/01/03 09:52 AM Re: The Soundhound System
jdh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Soundhound,

tried to view your system via the link in your original post but earthlink states they can't find it. Any suggestions.
John

#7681 - 07/01/03 12:52 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I took the pictures down, to clear some webspace, but I will put them back up today.

#7682 - 07/01/03 03:27 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

The pictures are back up......

#7683 - 07/01/03 04:21 PM Re: The Soundhound System
jdh Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks

#7684 - 07/03/03 04:43 PM Re: The Soundhound System
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
Soundhound, do you have a wife or SO? I can't imagine this set up in my home with my wife. I have to have as much as possible hidden from view. In the end it actually looks nice, but then I don't use my equipment for work. I did not notice in your pictures where you store your CDs, DVDs, albums, and reels. Wish I could hear your systems.

#7685 - 07/03/03 06:39 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejate:
Soundhound, do you have a wife or SO? I can't imagine this set up in my home with my wife..

Thanks. My "Home Theater" is really my studio where I do my music editing and mixing work, and it is a dedicated room removed from the rest of the house (that would be my wife's territory!). There are two walk-in closets where I keep all the software, cables and other stuff. I also have a room in the house off the service porch that is an electronics lab where I build and repair my stuff and store parts and cables etc. I'm thankful I have this room because it would probably be pretty hard to find a wife that would put up with all that stuff in HER living room!!

#7686 - 07/07/03 03:20 PM Re: The Soundhound System
soundhound Offline
Desperado

And from the "Everything Old is New Again" department - this article is from Stereophile's Guide to Home Theater website.

I use Altec Lansing A-7-500 "Voice of the Theater" speakers in my studio, and the pair I have I purchased in 1969. It seems they are the "next new thing", costing $4,000.00 each!. I paid around $350.00 each for them in 1969. I couldn't afford my own speakers now!!!

Read on, and check out the link:

July 7, 2003 — A classic is returning to the home theater market.

At the end of May, Altec Lansing Technologies announced that it would reintroduce its legendary A7 "Voice of the Theatre" loudspeaker. The first and only speaker series to be approved by the Research Council of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the A7 was the worldwide standard for motion picture playback throughout the 1950s, '60s, and '70s, enjoying widespread use in recording studios, night clubs, and rock venues. The "Voice of the Theatre" was "the most listened-to speaker system in the world, thrilling millions over its long and distinguished reign," according to a May 28 press announcement.

The Milford, PA–based manufacturer, which has spent the past decade concentrating on the computer audio market, has decided the time is ripe to reintroduce the A7 to a new generation of movie fans—and to collectors who grew up enjoying the speaker's warm, powerful sound. The new A7 is being manufactured in the USA "using the same materials, the same specs and production drawings, and even the same tools used in the original product," according to execs at Altec.

"Every detail, every specification is based on historic research and painstaking design analysis. For anyone from vacuum tube amplification fans to modern-day digital system lovers, the new A7 is a piece of history they can enjoy right in their own music room or home theater," said company president said Mark Lucas, President and Chief Executive Officer of Altec Lansing. "The new A7 is a meticulous re-issue of our original product," he emphasized. The new model is an "acoustic match of the original," according to advance publicity, despite boasting an improved frequency response. The crossover network is said to better accommodate modern media such as SACD or DVD-A.

The A7 features several components that were breakthroughs in the field, and that were later adopted by other manufacturers, such as mating the woofer's characteristics to the cabinet, and the use of edge-wound, copper-clad aluminum ribbon voice coils. Originally developed in 1924 by Western Electric engineers who later founded Altec Lansing, the A7's high frequency compression driver features a 100% aluminum diaphragm for extended high frequency performance. Individually numbered speaker cabinets are constructed of 13-layer Baltic Birch, and are finished with the signature "Voice of the Theatre" black splatter finish. Price is $4000 each ($8000/pair), available exclusively through Altec Lansing's website.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/index.asp

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited July 07, 2003).]

#7687 - 07/07/03 03:47 PM Re: The Soundhound System
rghinton Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI USA
The Soundhound picture on the screen looks unbelieveably good. What projector is being used? Is the screen 10' wide or diagonal? What movie is being shown? Thanks for the Altec information. I am about 2 years away from setting up an Altec system for my home theatre.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts