Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7628 - 06/05/03 08:00 PM Speaker Vibration Isolation?
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on how I can reduce the vibrations of my center channel speaker. The problem is that my center channel speaker is on top of my television and whenever there is an extremely loud passage during a movie the TV's picture gets distorted. My speakers are magnetically shielded and it's not that kind of distortion I get. It's more like the screens picture ripples. Not very serverely but it's still noticeable. But if I disconnect the speaker or raise it off the TV then I notice no distortions. So I'm thinking the vibrations from the speaker is causing my TV screen to ripple. My question is if there is anything I could put underneath the speaker to minimize the vibrations coming from the speaker to the TV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#7629 - 06/05/03 08:24 PM Re: Speaker Vibration Isolation?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
You could try adding little rubber feet or something. However, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss magnetic interference. No speaker is 100% shielded, so I wouldn't completely rule out magnetic interference yet.

Jeff

#7630 - 06/05/03 10:22 PM Re: Speaker Vibration Isolation?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
With good success, I have used a new, heavyweight bath towel of appropriate color, folded to an appropriate size, as both a finish protector and vibration isolator. Perhaps experiment with one or more of the towels you own now, folded together and see what happens, then buy a new one of the right color if it works?

#7631 - 06/05/03 11:16 PM Re: Speaker Vibration Isolation?
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Does the color affect the sound quality?

Jeff

#7632 - 06/06/03 05:51 PM Re: Speaker Vibration Isolation?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Auralex makes a product called "MoPads" Here's a link to the website:

www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

They should provide the isolation you seek plus add the ability to angle your speaker down towards your listening position.

#7633 - 06/06/03 09:34 PM Re: Speaker Vibration Isolation?
Jonathan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Cool!! Thanks Jason!!!
That's exactly what I need!! Thanks so much. Thanks also to everyone else who gave me suggestions. The towel trick did help, but it looked too ugly.

#7634 - 06/06/03 10:11 PM Re: Speaker Vibration Isolation?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
No problem! I hope they work as advertised. It's a neat little product.

I've been wanting to try them in the studio I work at. Still trying to convince that boss...

#7635 - 06/09/03 04:18 PM Re: Speaker Vibration Isolation?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I'm not one to keep towels on top of my television either, although I have used them elsewhere. At least experimenting with the towel method provided 'proof' of the type of solution that was needed, even if the actual device chosen was better looking.

Enjoy!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts