Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#76290 - 09/15/07 03:51 PM freezing default surround mode
jmschnur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: VA
1. Using the Oppo 970 DVD player and a optical Toslink audio connection we have had problems keeping the surround mode at dolby digital. The Oppo is set at RAW. I have polling as off.

Playback of DVDs leads to DD+IIc,i.e. it does not stay on Dolby Digital.

On a different question--will the 970 automatically switch to DTS when it has a DTS DVD in this configruation. It does not do this form my DVE DVD test DVD-It does switch to the Dolby 2 C+ DD mode.

2. Using a squeezebox and a toslink optical connection we have problems keeping the stereo mode as a default. It switches to the DD+Dolby 2 C mode. We want it to stay in stereo.
I have polling as off.
When it is on the problem seems worse.

In both cases the surround mode seems to change on content. For DVDs this has been a real problem with the AVIA test disk. The audio comes on rather weakly and then jumps to very loud.

Is there a method other than the one detailed in tne manual to ensure surround modes stick? This does not seem to work.

We have the latest firmware and we did reset the 970 acording to the manual after downloading.

Thanks!

Joel and Tatiana

#76291 - 09/17/07 07:34 PM Re: freezing default surround mode
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Quote:
will the 970 automatically switch to DTS when it has a DTS DVD in this configruation. It does not do this form my DVE DVD test DVD-It does switch to the Doply 2 C+ DD mode.
If I follow your question correctly, the 970 should switch to DTS once you have chosen that surround sound mode from the DVD menu. I believe DVDs that are encoded with both DD and DTS always default to DD on start up.

Quote:
Using a squeezebox and a toslink optical connectin we have problems keeping the stereo mode as a default. It switches to the DD+Dolby 2 C mode. We want it to stay in stereo.
I have polling as off.
When it is on the problem seems worse.
I have a Squeezebox as well and listen to it exclusively in 2-channel stereo mode. But I do that by using "bypass" mode. That may offer a simple soultion for that particular issue.

Quote:
We have the latest firmware and we did reset the 970 acording to the manual after downloading.
The firmware fix was aimed at the infamous "no audio" issue. Your problem seems a bit different. Maybe gonk will have some more infomration for you. He knows this stuff at the molecular level. smile Otherwise, you may want to call Outlaw.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#76292 - 09/17/07 11:53 PM Re: freezing default surround mode
jmschnur Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: VA
Thanks for your input.

In order to use "bypass" do you have to use analogue RCA cables or are you using the the toslink optical spidf cables?

Joel

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts