Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#76170 - 06/18/07 02:13 PM Re: Building a Music Server (cross post)
palmer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South San Francisco, CA USA
Just to add my two cents...and answer a different aspect of 73Bruin's question:

There are some devices (like Sonos) that can stream music from any PC or NAS device over standard file sharing protocols. Looking at the slimdevices website it looks like the squeezebox requires that their software be installed on the system(s) with the music, which would preclude putting your music on a dedicated NAS device.

An alternative would be to have the NAS device present the music folder as a share to the system running the Slimserver software, but this would require running two systems.
Video: Sony KDL-46V2500, OPPO BDP-103, TiVo Premiere XL4
2-channel: Outlaw RR2150, SF Concerto Home, Outlaw LFM-2

#76171 - 06/18/07 07:34 PM Re: Building a Music Server (cross post)
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Some more cents to add...

You can stream Internet radio to the Squeezebox (SB) without the PC being on. To stream your CD collection, the PC must be on with Slimserver (the software that supports SB) running. If your sound system and computer on are different floors, and you don't like the idea of running around the house to power up your system, no worries... you can configure the SB to "wake" your computer and turn on Slimserver when you power on the SB.

Regarding gonk's points, the SB is very easy to set up and is basically a plug and play unit. I know very little about computers, and it took me no time to get things up and running. Another bonus of the SB is that it handles lossless formats like FLAC and has a pretty respectable onboard DAC.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#76172 - 06/25/07 12:12 AM Re: Building a Music Server (cross post)
Arthur Pappas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chilliwack, BC, CANADA
Hey Videodrome, I'm glad you're liking the SB. I've been eyeing this product for a while now. I want it more for my bedroom than anything else. My PC is fairly close (~25ft) to my stereo & is connected via a digital coax cable I bought from Bluejeans cables. This makes it easy for me to play my tunes or Internet radio in Winamp & listen on my stereo.

I've been contemplating the SB for the bedroom for some time now. I am about 20% complete in ripping ~1200 compact discs to my computer. I'm not into compression & am leaving them as .wav files. I'm using EAC to rip & have 2 Plextor PX40TSi SCSI cdroms doing the work, with a Pioneer DVD for backup (it's much slower but better with protected media).

I hope to pick up a SB very soon smile
Prismiq MediaPlayer
Toshiba 34" 16:9 HD CRT
Wharfedale Pac Evo 8 / cen / surr / sub

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts