Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#76152 - 05/01/07 03:08 AM Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
OK, please help an idiot. I recently bought a DVD recorder so that I can record video from my Dish receiver and for the life of my I can't get it to record.

Here's how I have things hooked up right now. My #1 output on my HD box goes directly to my TV via HDMI. An optical audio cable goes to one of my optical inputs on my 970. This has worked fine.

The #2 output on my Dish box only allows for composite video out and stereo out. So I have it running to Video #2 on my Outlaw.

I've got the component video outputs on the 970 running to my #4 input on the TV.

The Phillips is set up this way.

S Video IN on Phillips goes to S-Video #1 Record
Stereo audio in on Phillips goes to Video #1 stereo inputs.

Composite video out on Phillips goes to Video 1 composite "play" on Outlaw. Stereo connections out to go "play" on Outlaw.

I've been able to record audio, but no video. On the Phillips I've got it set to receive S-Video on the inputs.

What in the world am I doing wrong?

#76153 - 05/01/07 03:22 AM Re: Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
What model dish receiver do you have?

I am running two 721s (video 2 & 3 inputs of the 990).

To record to my DVD recorder I take the 721 outputs and split them with RCAs. One limb goes to the 990 input while the other goes to the input of DVD recorder. I take the output of the DVD recorder and feed it to an old TV for monitoring.
No need to be concerned with volume here.

Howeever if I want to record (copy) from an old VHS or laserdisc, both of which feed the 990 I use zone-2 out and feed the third input of my DVD recorder. Only thing to remember is be sure zzone 2's volume is high enough. I usually record at -1 or 0.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more "input" laugh
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#76154 - 05/01/07 03:24 AM Re: Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Oooooooops.
Sorry. I didn't initially realize yours was a 970. I'm not familiar with the configuration. I don't even know frown if there is a zone 2.

However, splitting the dish composite and stereo audio outs will still work for you.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#76155 - 05/01/07 03:31 AM Re: Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

I have a Dish 622 with Zone 1 going via HDMI directly to my TV. Zone 2's output is via composite (only thing available) to my video 2 inputs.

I then have my Phillips DVD recorder hooked up with A/V out going to Outlaw Video 1 Play. A/V in on my Phillips goes to Outlaw Video 1 Record.

Thanks for your replies.

#76156 - 05/01/07 11:49 AM Re: Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I sketched this out to make sure I had it right, and in the process I had two thoughts. One is that since you're using composite video out of the Dish and out of the Philips DVD-R, why not stay with it for the record out of the 970? The composite-to-s-video transcoding isn't going to offer any benefit, and it may be that you have a bad or loose s-video connection (don't ask how many times an s-video connection has messed me up).

There's another that may be even easier, though. Since the only time you use the Dish's composite and analog outputs is when you are recording to the DVD-R and since you don't appear to have any other sources that you are interested in recording, why not run composite video and stereo analog audio straight from the Dish's output to the DVD-R's input? You could then record from the Dish to the DVD-R even when running a different source at the 970 (such as DVD or even the radio). Also, it might be worthwhile to step up from composite video and analog audio out of the DVD-R to component video and digital audio. For a touch of early-morning clarity (or not), here's my sketch as JPG (at a very high res to preserve my dubious handwriting) and PDF .

#76157 - 05/01/07 01:04 PM Re: Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk, I will take a look at that. Here's another thing to toss out. The DVD-R mentions setting up the channels, which I have not done, and am not sure would matter since I'm recording what's being output from the DVR. Would this matter.

The Phillips has a built in tuner, but I see no reason to use it.

Thanks for the sketch; I'll take a look at it now.

Cheers,

#76158 - 05/01/07 02:10 PM Re: Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

One more piece to the puzzle that might have an impact. My Denon 1930Ci is using a HDMI to DVI output to the 970. The Outlaw then uses the DVI to HDMI output(monitor) to the TV.

If I use both the DVI monitor out on the 970 AND a component video out from the 970 could this be causing a conflict?

Thanks in advance?

Also, I could use the component video connections as Gonk suggests, but wouldn't I lose resolution by going from HDMI to component?

#76159 - 05/01/07 02:50 PM Re: Please help hooking up a DVD recorder
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If the only source you are using with the DVD-R is a line input (the composite and stereo analog from your dish box), then the channel setup is useless. The tuner would only be good for cable and over-the-air analog channels anyway.

The DVI switching and component switching in the 970 are independent, so there would be no conflict. I'd leave the Denon on HDMI - my sketch assumed that there was a DVD player of some sort hiding in there and component was a sure thing, but if you've got a DVD player with HDMI or DVI output and a display that also has one of those that's definitely the way to go. I would want to move the DVD-R from composite to component, though.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts