Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#75950 - 02/04/07 11:37 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As mentioned in this post , I'd recommend e-mailing your findings to swtest@outlawaudio.com so Outlaw can include it in their firmware testing.

#75951 - 02/05/07 09:47 AM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
Elmosaurus Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
As mentioned in this post , I'd recommend e-mailing your findings to swtest@outlawaudio.com so Outlaw can include it in their firmware testing.
I powered it on again this morning, just to test it real quick before I left for work.

I deliberately powered the Sat Tuner on first, so that there was an audio stream being sent to the 970 during it's power up.

As predicted, it went through the welcome message, but came to no audio, and a seemingly locked volume. Changing inputs did nothing, and I could not scroll through audio modes via the remote. (it ignored those commands)

I had to power it off (used the remote) and then power it back on.

And, as usual, all was well after that... =\

:rolleyes:

There's about 14 days left in my 30 day window...

(the fact that I'm conscious of that and actually counting them down does not bode well for this unit...)

As for emailing, Gonk. I'd be happy to. But I want to have something substantial to email them. A rather nondescript email of, 'I powered it on and there was no audio' isn't going to help much. Having been a tech before, I know they need criteria to narrow the search. Something more like, 'when some audio stream is being fed to the unit, while cold, the unit tends to get confused during power up.' Or something like that. (I'm close to that point, so we'll see what they have to say after I do a little troubleshooting tonight. Over the earlier part of the weekend, I always turned the 970 on FIRST, waited until the welcome message was gone before powering on any other devices, and I had zero issues...

E.

#75952 - 02/07/07 04:24 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
Elmosaurus Offline
Gunslinger

So, it's with a sad heart I post that I've decided and requested a refund RMA and label. frown

After the Sunday night incident with my first true dropped audio, and the recurring 'seemingly locked no audio' on power up almost every evening, my fiancee is quietly exhibiting a looming exasperation, since she knows that the refund/return window is drawing to a close.

Given the exceptional audio quality of this design, I'd love to hang on to this piece, but with the latest firmware update not seeming to help my situations, I can't argue with the logic she brought forth that for the price, it should work each and every time it gets turned on.

I can't afford to just hang on to it and wait until the next firmware like a few of you guys have, especially since I need my complete system to function all the time, every time. (lest it become very hard for me to justify to her the high expense of these toys of mine)

I'd upgrade to a 990, but that's not possible because it A) will not fit into my rack, and B) breaks my promised budget for this 'forced' upgrade. (my A/V receiver was unrepairable and instead of going with a replacement integrated, I went to seperates, via an even trade up to the new NAD T955, while the 970 was to be the 'new addition' pre/pro portion of it)

What makes all of this worse is that for $300-400 bucks, my fiancee knows that I can get a unit from a B&M store that will function until the cows come home. (arguably by me at a much lower acoustic quality, but with a wedding to pay for later this year, it's a hard sell... LOL :p )

I'm happy to help with troubleshooting by answering any questions about what configuration I had, what I experienced (for as long as I can recall the events) and the like...

For those following along, Outlaw support has been top notch the entire time. Steve and Scott have demonstrated to me that they are indeed committed to getting this resolved. I only wish I could stick around for the ride. If I were single, I could justify leaving the investment in the 970 alone and just 'deal' with the quirks. But with the other half needing the overly complex (to her) system to respond predictably so she can use it, I can't comfortably hold onto the unit at this point when the funds would be better served elsewhere in our lives. In 8-12 months, I will revisit this issue, and see if another new firmware has been released, making the unit rock solid. If so, I'd be happy to plunk down the cash and try again at that point.

I can say that without reservation, only because I have NOT seen/heard the kind of acoustic performance that comes out of this unit at anywhere near this price in any other comparitive piece for under $3,000-4,000! (and for pre/pro's in that bracket, it's niggling hairs as to which is truly sonically better) This is not to say most of the units I've auditioned were dramatically 'worse', just that they had ever so slightly different characters/sonic footprints, and a variance of included features. And higher price points. With emphasis on the last part. smile

In the mean time, I will probably go cruise the used racks at my local dealers and see what trade-ins I can find for a few hundred bucks that will at least let me have a functioning system. (or settle and buy a moderately priced Denon or something with pre outs and just drive my T955 that way)

Happy Trails,

E.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online
0 registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM