Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#75910 - 01/24/07 12:34 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
Elmosaurus Offline
Gunslinger

Ok, so it's confirmed that a MONO minijack is used for feeding IR signal from the connecting block to the IR INPUT port.

But we're (or at least, I'm) all still wondering about what the IR OUTPUT port needs for connection, and if it's a direct hook-up to the Xantech connecting block's 'Receiver IN' port.

...bit by bit... =)

E.

#75911 - 01/24/07 02:04 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
If I remember correctly (and feel free to set me straight anyone), based on what I read when I was planning my IR distribution system, the processor's IR output simply repeats all commands passed from the IR-in. In other words, it is doing the same thing that a Xantech connecting block would do. So you could connect the IR out from your 970 to, say, your DVD player's IR-in which (if it has its own IR-out) could be daisy-chained to another unit's IR-in, and so on...

That's not how I chose to do mine, since sometimes we use the DVD player and TV without turning on the rest of the HT. In my case, I have a Xantech connecting block with 4 IR-outs, although I am only using 3 (Processor, DVD, and Satellite).

#75912 - 01/24/07 02:06 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you're right, garcianc2003, then Elmosaurus really needs an IR receiver similar to the one that you and I are using.

#75913 - 01/24/07 02:19 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
Elmosaurus Offline
Gunslinger

I don't think that's right either, unfortunately. Sorry guys.

The Outlaw unit does not do the same thing as a Xantech connecting block; I know this for sure because Steve said it sends a PASSIVE signal, which will NOT drive an emitter on the IR output port on it's own.

I cannot confirm that sending a passive no voltage signal from the IR output port to a device's input port will work, but my STRONG hunch is that this will NOT work. Simply because if Gonk's use of a MONO cable from the POWERED output port of the Xantech block, direct to his peripheral devices' input ports, does indeed work, a PASSIVE signal will not be heard by the peripheral devices.

Being that the Outlaw is SUPPOSED to perform AS a receiver, it SHOULD output on the IR OUTPUT port the SAME type of signal that a retail Xantech receiver would normally put out. (namely, that stereo minijack 3 conductor connection)

THIS is precisely what I'm trying to get final confirmation on; If Steve doesn't get to reply to my PM by this afternoon before I leave work, I'll give him a call and try to get the fast answer that way so I can order up this gear.

(if you can't tell, I'm trying to keep this as low cost as possible, and paying $45 for a Xantech receiver who's capability is already theoretically present on the plainly visible Outlaw is a kibosh on the deal for me)

E.

#75914 - 01/24/07 02:27 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Now I am curious... I might experiment with this when I get home, since I have been thinking about daisy-chaining instead of the LED emitters (if only for aesthetic reasons).
I would like to know what you find out on this, so let us know what response you get.

#75915 - 01/24/07 02:38 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
Elmosaurus Offline
Gunslinger

In order to truly, 'daisy-chain', you'd have to have devices who's output ports were truly POWERED output ports. (the kind that can drive an emitter)

I only say this because from my analysis thusfar, it takes a POWERED output port to drive an input port.

Is it possible that a passive signal will drive an input port? I don't know. Gonk can try it if he feels daring. Move that output plug from the Xantech connecting block's output, to the IR OUTPUT of the Outlaw device.

In theory, if a PASSIVE output port (on the Outlaw) can drive an IR input that normally expects a POWERED signal, then the peripheral will work when Gonk aims his remote at his 990, and sends commands pertinent to the device that is strung onto that output port.

Gonk, care to try? Since I've been told NO power comes from the OUTPUT port of the Outlaw, (since it's PASSIVE) there should be no risk to your peripheral device.

E.

#75916 - 01/24/07 02:42 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

This is what led me to believe the behavior I described earlier. From page 8 of the 970 user's manual:
"IR output Feeds an infrared flasher attached to another piece of audio/video gear. Any infrared remote signal received by the Model 970’s front-panel sensor or by an external sensor connected to the Model 970 will be relayed through this jack, so concealed audio/video devices can be controlled by remote."

Like I said, I am very curious now...

#75917 - 01/24/07 02:47 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
Elmosaurus Offline
Gunslinger

And that's why I knocked a quarter point off my out-of-box review score; that paragraph is the only one in the manual about the IR, and it's VERY ambiguous as to what the functionality is.

Reading it LITERALLY, I should be able to plug the emitter STRAIGHT into the port. (ie, it should be a POWERED port)

But we know that's not the case now, obviously, since I was told it only outputs a PASSIVE signal. This seem to be an industry standard, so I have no issues with it, but I want to confirm that one can plug one end of a STEREO wire into that IR OUTPUT port, and the other end into the RECEIVER IN port on the Xantech, and the 9x0 Outlaw will behave just like the Xantech receiver module that sells for $45.

.. aren't we having such fun here?! =D

E.

#75918 - 01/24/07 02:58 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
Elmosaurus Offline
Gunslinger

I got the name wrong earlier; sorry for the confusion.

Garcianc2003, you'd be the one that can try if you'd like.

Take the MONO wire you have going directly from the Xantech OUTPUT port, that leads to the Satellite Tuner, and plug it into the OUTPUT port of the 970. (ie, 970 OUT <-> Satellite IN)

This will tell you (and us) if a PASSIVE output can drive an input that normally expects a POWERED signal.

E.

#75919 - 01/24/07 03:03 PM Re: *bang* (Pulled the trigger)
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Elmosaurus, I am thinking about taking a LED emitter (I have some spares) and plugging into my processor's IR-out as a test. I figure that doesn't involve any other gear and I am pretty sure it doesn't pose a threat to the processor. If it works like the manual describes, I should see the emitter light up every time I use the remote.
Am I understanding this all wrong or would that test tell us what we want to know?

... it wouldn't be a hobby if it wasn't fun...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts