Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75851 - 12/19/06 12:20 PM 970 -- connect now or wait?
cheebs Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Guatemala
Hello Outlaws, new owner here.

I recently purchased a 970, and came in here to see what upgrades/issues were current with this pre/pro.

I was pretty surprised to see all the threads about the "No Audio" issue that primarily occurs when changing surround modes.

My principal source (by far)is a DirecTV H20 HD receiver. Since there is no HD audio standard, all channels broadcast in different formats, and even each channel switches from DD5.1 do DD2.0 all the time. When switching to SD channels, we have the added complication of PL as well.

It worries me that I will be having this problem with any sort of frequency when I channel surf (which I do A LOT LOL).

So, my question is, install the 970 now with the latest software patch, or wait a while till the final release is out?

Installing entails disassembling my system, starting by removing the 50-inch DLP from the top of the cabinet for access, so it's not an easy operation.

TIA
Outlaw 970 * Adcom GFA 7000 * Musical Fidelity X10v3 * Pioneer DV-45A * Cambridge Audio Azur 640 v2 CDP * DirecTV HR-20 * Onix R-DES sub eq * Magnepan MG12/MMGC/SS1 * 2x MartinLogan Grotto subs * Optoma RD50 DLP * Panamax 5500EX * Harmony 1000 remote

#75852 - 12/19/06 12:26 PM Re: 970 -- connect now or wait?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Do you have access to a laptop computer or a PC that you can move close to the equipment rack? If so, you might just leave an RS-232 cable plugged in to the 970 and hanging out where you can reach it later (this is what I've done with my 990's USB connection to facilitate firmware updates). You'd need to be able to reach the rear panel to press in the small "reset" button before doing the firmware update, which may or may not be a problem depending on your cabinet, but otherwise you wouldn't have to take anything apart.

#75853 - 12/19/06 01:00 PM Re: 970 -- connect now or wait?
cheebs Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Guatemala
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Do you have access to a laptop computer or a PC that you can move close to the equipment rack? If so, you might just leave an RS-232 cable plugged in to the 970 and hanging out where you can reach it later (this is what I've done with my 990's USB connection to facilitate firmware updates). You'd need to be able to reach the rear panel to press in the small "reset" button before doing the firmware update, which may or may not be a problem depending on your cabinet, but otherwise you wouldn't have to take anything apart.
I had already thought of leaving the serial cable hanging from the back of the cabinet, and modifying it (expanding the cable holes) to provide access to the reset button.

Still, I'm reluctant to install if it's going to pose a risk. Blown tweeters on my Magnepans would be tragic to say the least!
Outlaw 970 * Adcom GFA 7000 * Musical Fidelity X10v3 * Pioneer DV-45A * Cambridge Audio Azur 640 v2 CDP * DirecTV HR-20 * Onix R-DES sub eq * Magnepan MG12/MMGC/SS1 * 2x MartinLogan Grotto subs * Optoma RD50 DLP * Panamax 5500EX * Harmony 1000 remote

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts