Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#7572 - 05/15/03 02:43 PM surround speakers - monopole vs. dipole ?
sigmachi25 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jax, Fla.
I have a pair of "Ohm" speakers for my fronts which I love (see post below), and trying to decide on a pair of surround/side speakers. I listen to music much more than films - if that is a factor.

I have read different things about monopole and dipole speakers - and would like some opinions on which is better for music. Also any suggestions on brands - if I don't go with a matched pair of Ohms. Looking to spend around $1,000 at the most.

Thanks- Bryan
Jax, Fla.

#7573 - 05/15/03 03:17 PM Re: surround speakers - monopole vs. dipole ?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I just switched from monopoles to dipoles and to be honest, I'm not that happy with it. I think monopoles are by far your best bet if you listen to mostly music. All surround music is mixed in a set-up that uses monopoles for the surrounds. I'm thinking of thowing my old bookshelves back into my system to be able to listen to my multi-channel SACDs happily again.

The only factors that might change that opinion could be room size and placement. I have a small room where my surrounds end up equi-distant from the mains and at the recommended location. If your surrounds aren't going to end up like this, you probably could experiment with dipoles.

One other thing to throw into the mix. M&K makes a type of speaker called a "tripole." It combines the attributes of a direct radiatior with a dipole configuration. Supposedly, it provides the best of both worlds. If I had the money, this is what would be in my system. You can get a pair of their smallest tripoles, the K-4s, for around $500. (That should tell you about my current audio budget. )

I wish I could be more conclusive but it really comes down to speaker placement and what works in your room. If you're sticking mainly with music, however, monopoles are the definitive recommendation. I ended up trying out dipoles because I got a pair pretty cheaply. Good luck and have fun!

#7574 - 05/15/03 03:30 PM Re: surround speakers - monopole vs. dipole ?
master of disaster Offline
Gunslinger

I agree with Jason.monopoles are probably better(and cheaper)-especially if you have a smaller room where I don't think you would gain as much benefit from dipoles.Let me also mention that mirages new surround speaker set is getting rave reviews,and uses a new speaker design(which is actually a new implementation of an old idea).The new mirage speakers(from what I understand from the reviews)create a very large and diffuse sounstage for movies(not necessarily music-where I have heard monopoles might be better).If you don't need to use the same electronics for your home theater as hifi I would recommend looking at the mirage speakers and possibly buying a seperate receiver for home theater.

#7575 - 05/16/03 09:31 AM Re: surround speakers - monopole vs. dipole ?
sigmachi25 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jax, Fla.
Seems like the monopoles might be the way to go for me. I can only afford 1 system, if I do it right, so I'd rather sacrifice a little on the movies to have a better sounding system for music.

The "dual - function" M&K's sound interesting though, anybody had some experience with these ?

Bryan

#7576 - 05/16/03 12:42 PM Re: surround speakers - monopole vs. dipole ?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
If you want reviewers opinions on M&K tripole technology; check out the reviews of M&K on this site:

www.ecoustics.com

Just type in "M&K" into the search engine and you should get a bunch.

I think there are some outlaws (Dollarbill, Wayne) with M&K speakers so they might chime in also.

#7577 - 05/16/03 02:29 PM Re: surround speakers - monopole vs. dipole ?
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
I use some old but still great Citation 7.3 Dual Drive Dipole Surround speakers....very versatile....options for switching speaker to -single drive dipole - dual drive dipole - or single drive point source (monopole)....you can try different set ups with surrounds and see what works best for you.... depending on set up, room size, etc....for music or movies.....I bought these a long time ago, and they were pretty pricey way back (about $1200.00 each!!) and they sound great!!! Audiophile quality, and worth a try. Almost 30 lbs each!!! Right now on Ebay the Harmanaudio store has some REALLY CHEAP....these are the best deal going right now in my opinion, especially for the price they're selling at...they are a STEAL!!!!...Citation (Harman Kardon) made some great products in the past....This is a GREAT DEAL!!! Check them out!!!!

[This message has been edited by daddy_guy (edited May 16, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by daddy_guy (edited May 16, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts