Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75765 - 11/07/06 01:48 PM No audio experience and Plasma Question
DaveWoj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ft Johnson, NY
My experience with the no audio may be different than others. Here's what happens. When turning on my DVD source I had no audio, when I checked the input config it had changed from digital to analog. When I switched it back to digital it was fine. No idea why it changed. The only other time is when I'm switching through dolby modes it will sometimes cut out and I'll have to go next or back to get it to work.
I have a Panasonic EDTV not HD. Can I still hook it up to a pc through the 970 and is it as easy at going from pc DVI to 970 DVI and then 970 DVI to Plasma HDMI?
Thanks, Dave

#75766 - 11/07/06 02:02 PM Re: No audio experience and Plasma Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My first thought would be to make sure that you've turned off "auto poll" on the DVD input, although I don't think that would be enough to throw the unit from digital to analog audio. Some 970 or 1070 owners may have better suggestions.

Yes, you can simply connect your PC to the 970 and from the 970 to the plasma. Just to be clear, the DVI switching is completely separate from the other video switching (composite, s-video, and component) and from the 970's on-screen displays, but if you have a PC and another source that both have DVI or HDMI then you can absolutely use the 970's switching to feed both sources to a single HDMI input on your plasma.

#75767 - 11/07/06 04:46 PM Re: No audio experience and Plasma Question
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
I'm not sure if this is an apples-to-apples comparison, but if there is one area when I experience "no audio" the most, it is when an incoming CATV signal switches to a different surround mode. For example, channel surfing from a station where the 970 is applying a Dolby Pro Logic mode to station that is broadcasting in 5.1 digital (or vice versa).

It is as if the processor goes momentarily mute while it acquires the incoming signal and detemines which processing mode to apply. Soetimes it sorts itself out. Other times I have to switch to another channel and then back again.

The same phenomenon may be occurring when you get the drop outs switching between Dolby modes.

Come to think of it, I think that's happened to me too. confused
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#75768 - 11/08/06 08:50 PM Re: No audio experience and Plasma Question
DaveWoj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ft Johnson, NY
Thanks Gonk for the info.

The no audio seems to be very inconsistent. Hopefully they'll figure it out and it will be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
By the way videodrome, I went with the edtv for now mostly for the dvd's and the basic cable. I don't have digital and by the time they switch over in 2009, I'll have saved enough to buy a nice hdtv. The edtv should work nice for a couple of years. I got the Panasonic 42" edtv off Amazon for $1049 free shipping and no tax. I couldn't pass it up. Plasma's prices are falling fast.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts