Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75745 - 10/23/06 05:02 PM Volume curiousity
da88 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Carterville, IL
I was curious to see where most folks here start to get cautious about thier volume level during playback. Obviously it depends a bit on the source, ie. my sat. dish doesn't seem to produce as loud a signal like my DVD player does. I usually start getting cautious when the volume is around the - 18 db mark or so. I am running the 970 with the 7100 into an all paradigm speaker system (Studio 20's in front, Mini-monitors in rear)
Oddly enough, the sound isn't that "loud" really even at that point. I guess my point is that the lowest volume setting is in the -70db i think and real world listening levels are in the - 20 db's range. Would It hurt something to go to say -07 db's? I also know that clearer and cleaner power sometimes doesn't really sound as loud, since the distortion is less. Overall, either I'm going deaf (possibility) or my system just doesn't get that loud. Any comments?
Rears/ Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.1
Center/ Paradigm Studio-CC
Sub/ Paradigm PS-1000

#75746 - 10/24/06 10:57 AM Re: Volume curiousity
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
As you noted, the volume level can vary widely. Not only from source to source (e.g. DVD, CD, TV, etc.) but from material itself. For instance, some of my DVDs and CDs are recorded much hotter than others. All of the DVDs from the Lord of the Rings trilogy come to mind. I recall Telarc CDs are recorded a little hot too.

That said, I find that a nice easy listening range for two channel music playback is approx. -14db to -10db. If I want some more impact, or I'm getting crunk with a Lil Jon CD, I'm playing in range of the -5 to 0 db on the dial.

On DVDs, I usually play back anywhere from -15db to -5db. If I really want to push it (let's say a demo to blow away a friend or neighbor with Top Gun, War of the Worlds, or U571), I've gone as high as +2db.

And I've gone as high as +10db on LP playback; but that's because my tube-based phono stage doesn't have a tremendous amount of gain.

Even at my highest listening levels, I've never clipped my big Adcoms, so distortion is not an issue. Instead, it somes down to damaging my hearing. cool
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#75747 - 10/24/06 11:07 AM Re: Volume curiousity
da88 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I was unaware that the volume level went into the + db range. I assumed that it stopped at
- 0db. That is why I was asking. I thought that I was pushing the max limit the closer I got to -0db (well, I guess that I really am) I just thougt I was almost pegged out. It must be one of those Spinal Tap things.
If I had know that the volume went to 11 rather than the normal 10, I would have pushed it to 11! (it's not easy to type a British accent)
Any idea what volume is actually the max out on the 970?

Preamp/ Outlaw 970
Amp/ Outlaw 7100
Fronts/ Paradigm Studio 20's v.3
Sub/ Paradigm PS-1000
Sub/ Paradigm PS-1000

#75748 - 10/24/06 12:05 PM Re: Volume curiousity
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The maximum volume setting is probably +10dB, but how loud that is depends at least on part on how you calibrate the unit. The standard approach is to set the unit's volume at 0dB and use the internal test tones to adjust the individual channel levels so that they all achieve 75dB on a sound meter held at the listening position. When calibrated in this way, setting the volume to 0dB would exactly match the volume level of a movie theater. Most people calibrate this way and then watch DVD's at a volume less than 0dB. Videodrome is pretty typical - he listens at -15dB to -5dB. If it's just me watching, I tend to listen around -15dB to -10dB, but if my daughter's asleep down the hall I might keep it around -25dB. (I use a 990 instead of a 970, but I calibrate to 75dB and I've ended up using the same basic volume settings with both my 990 and the 950 that I had before that.)

DVD's will generally warrant a higher volume setting than CD's and TV viewing, because DVD's are recorded at a lower level to provide more frequency response (they have more headroom to cope with sudden spikes of volume like those depth charges Videodrome mentioned).

#75749 - 10/24/06 12:21 PM Re: Volume curiousity
da88 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the answer! I was under the impression (not sure why) that the rear channels were to be set at a lower output level than the fronts.
I did just by a SPL meter so that I can make the adjustments. Any special tips other than those mentioned when it comes to setting the calibrations?
Sub/ Paradigm PS-1000

#75750 - 10/24/06 12:50 PM Re: Volume curiousity
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
All channels will be calibrated the same, although surrounds typically get less information sent to them. I'd suggest grabbing the manual for your 970 and following the instructions there to get it calibrated - the manual spells it out pretty nicely.

#75751 - 10/24/06 01:32 PM Re: Volume curiousity
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
As Gonk mentioned, the instructions in the 970 manual should set out everything pretty clearly.

The only tips I would add are: First, make sure there is no extraneous noise in your listening environment while you're calibrating. Second, some guides recommend you put the SPL meter on a tripod, facing the ceiling. In reality, where you can effectively put the tripod may be 1-2 feet away from your listening sweet spot -- especially if your listening chair is a sofa.

I prefer to take a seat in the sweet spot, sitting notmally (not pitched forward) then hold the meter close to my face, that way you calibrate as close to your ears as possible.

Lastly, you may wind up recalibrating the LFE channel to personal taste. I've noticed to achieve the same SPL reading on the meter at the pink noise frequency, the sub output may be a bit too much during movie and music playback. A little manual tweaking on the sub's volume knob can bring it back into balance.

Good luck!
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts