Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#75593 - 09/14/06 05:35 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
joncourage Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

quick digression on a related topic if I may...

has it been definitively established that in bypass mode the unit's DACs are bypassed entirely? I have an external non-OS DAC I want to use with this and would like to be sure the signal remains in the analog domain once it gets to the Outlaw (and not processed by the DACs or upsampled, etc).

Thanks!

#75594 - 09/14/06 06:18 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yep. In "bypass" mode when using an analog input, the 990's DACs are completely out of the loop. (I make that qualification of "when using an analog input" because "bypass" is an option when using digital inputs, in which case the 990 still uses the digital input and you of course still use the 990's DACs.)

#75595 - 09/20/06 10:45 AM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Okay, my system is back online and so I tried the suggestions laid out by Gonk. Based on a few A/B comparisons, the CD player using the Cambridge's DAC (via analog out plugged into the 970s 7.1 front L&R inputs) sounds noticeably better than the digital out on the Cambridge and the signal processed by the 970's DAC.

The 7.1 bass management setting is set to HPF/LPF. When you select 7.1 on the remote, the 970 displays "Bypass." This initally confused me, as I always associated "bypass" with "bypass mode," in which the digital bass management is out of the loop, the sub is disengaged and the front speakers run full range. (I think in this particular 7.1 set up, the "bypass" display must refer only to the fact that digital bass management is being bypassed, as the sub was defintely operating during playback).

The HPF/LPF setting defaults to an 80Hz x-over, which I prefer anyway, so I am happy with the results for far (I just wish there were an addtional input like this I could run my phono preamp into!)

Still to be tested is an A/B comparison between this current set up and the CD analog output in pure "bypass mode" (i.e. without sub).

I am hoping the 7.1 set up with the signal in the analog domain will result in less degradation of the soundstage compared to the convoluted analog/digital/analog path I was using before. But I will report back the results.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#75596 - 09/20/06 06:33 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
gonk Offline
Desperado

I concur about the "Bypass" message - the 970's simply saying that the analog input is bypassing any digital processing, but it is not doing anything silly like downmixing to stereo.

#75597 - 10/01/06 07:15 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
Beakman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I concur about the "Bypass" message - the 970's simply saying that the analog input is bypassing any digital processing, but it is not doing anything silly like downmixing to stereo.
. . . which indeed is a nice trick, very eye opening.
I'm glad to read this thread. I will see how this affects the overall performance when playing familiar CD's. I prefer to have "bypass" as the mode but until now was dissapointed I was getting no signal from the sub out.
Thank you again.
Beakman
(1) MTX 10" Powered Sub, Modded/Tweaked
(1) Sony NC555ES DVD/CD Changer
(1) Panamax M5100-EX Power Conditioner

#75598 - 10/02/06 03:30 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Beakman:

After living with this set up for a few days, I can tell you I am quite happy with it. I still have not tried an A/B comparison between the 7.1 input and "pure" bypass mode in the CD analog input. But at this point, the sub is so well integrated and things sound so nice, I don't envision going back.

Next, I'd like to see how the 7.1 input sounds with my phono stage.
System Pics

#75599 - 10/04/06 01:08 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
Beakman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa
Videodrome,
I can say there is a definite improvement with my system too! The outboard imaging is the most notable. Now that I have a "System Sound Baseline", I can better work with (listening) room environment. First will be a large mirror on a side wall above the sofa, to make up for its black-hole sound sucking characteristics.
(1) MTX 10" Powered Sub, Modded/Tweaked
(1) Sony NC555ES DVD/CD Changer
(1) Panamax M5100-EX Power Conditioner

#75600 - 11/20/06 11:42 AM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to report a pleasant surprise regarding the use of the HPF/LPF x-over setting in analog bypass mode.

Since my last post on this thread, I have been swapping my phono stage and CD player output cables between the 7.1 inputs.

Over the weekend, I hooked the phono stage back into the "AUX" input, switchhed to "BYPASS" and, though I was expecting a full range signal to my mains only, I was ecstatic to hear the sub going. So then I tried the same thing by re-hooking my CD player back into "CD," and bingo, the sub was engaged.

Evidently, if the toggle is switched to HPF/LPF, ALL analog sources played in "BYPASS" mode will activate the sub.

No more switching cables.

I am a very happy camper.
System Pics

#75601 - 11/20/06 02:32 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
gonk Offline
Desperado

Now that is a slick discovery, Videodrome - and one that I don't remember hearing about previously.

#75602 - 12/28/06 02:14 PM Re: Bypass Mode Observations
ratso Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

hey gonk, not only do i love stereo i only am using an old adcom stereo power amp to run my 970, no fancy (and expensive) 7 channel amps for me! i dont understand how the emphasis on audio has changed from listening to music (which sounds much better in stereo) to listening to raindrops dripping behind your head when watching movies. however i am curious - just got my 970 for xmas, havent even hooked it up yet, but since i'm running stereo (i will use bypass) and just two speakers have you fooled around with VR (virtual reality) dolby when watching movies?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts