Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75538 - 09/03/06 12:50 PM 5 channel stereo?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I will occasionally use my Denon 1930ci player to play CDs. I was trying to utilize the 5 channel stereo mode, but did not succeed. Here's what I tried or have done.

Initially the DVD player is connected via both HDMI directly to my Sony TV, but also using a toslink cable to my 970 for audio.

The Denon is set to Bitstream for DD & DTS.

I can toggle between a variety of modes in DD & DTS and even stereo, but once in stereo mode, I cannot toggle between traditional stereo & 5/7 channel audio.

I then hooked up a pair of RCA stereo cables from my player to the 970 and set it up as CD. This didn't help either.

I've tried messing with both the 970 & the DVD player with no success. Am I overlooking something obvious.

#75539 - 09/04/06 02:55 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Just wondering:
Does setting the Denon to bitstream cutoff your analog signal? That could explain your RCA input not working.

The Denon is sending a "raw" bitstream, right?

Another option while you figure this out is to select DTS NEO:6 Music in the 970 or Dolby PLIIx-M. However, I do like the 5-Stereo/7-Stereo modes better.

Good luck.

#75540 - 09/04/06 03:07 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Hey Garcianc2003,

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I had what I thought which would answer my question: I tried FM radio. I am able to switch among various modes including plain stereo, but still no 5 channel stereo.

Since there is no HDMI or bitstream involved in FM radio, I don't see what I could be missing.

I don't plan on using this mode except for possibly radio and CD listening. I want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something painfully obvious on my part before I point my finger at the 970.

#75541 - 09/04/06 08:00 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
5/7 Stereo are I believe only available with PCM or analog inputs, so I'm not surprised that it isn't an option with DVD's. With CD's, it's a different matter - you know you're getting PCM in that case, and that should let you use these modes. I assume you're using the "Stereo" mode button on the remote to try to select these modes. If you are and that still doesn't work, I'd get a PCM or analog source started, go into the input menu for that source, and cycle through the surround mode options - the 970 should only offer modes that work with your current (PCM) source, and that should include 5 stereo.

#75542 - 09/04/06 08:51 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk. Wouldn't FM radio qualify as a source that should work in 5 channel stereo? This takes all the bitstream vs. PCM out of the equation.

On my DVD player I'm a bit unsure. I run a toslink cable from my Denon unit to the 970. I believe that the Denon only offer either bitstream or PCM, but I can tell you that I do get audio from a CD to my system.

Yes, I'm using the stereo button to attempt to toggle between the modes, but without luck so far. I've also tried to manually achieve 5 channel stereo via the front panel buttons with similar results.

TIA

#75543 - 09/04/06 10:50 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yep, FM radio should work fine with it. The Denon should be set to bitstream (selecting PCM will cause Dolby Digital 5.1 to be downmixed to stereo and will render DTS soundtracks mute), but that would still get you a PCM source when listening to CD's. I also assume (just covering all the bases) that you have both the center and side surrounds in place and enabled - without surrounds active, 5 Stereo wouldn't be available, and I don't know what turning the center off would do. If you've already covered all of those bases and still don't have 5 Stereo as an option in the "Surr Mode" setting of the "Tuner Input" menu, I'm officially stumped.

#75544 - 09/05/06 09:49 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Hmmm, you may be onto something Gonk. I do have the surrounds active, but not the center channel. In my current setup, I don't have a place for the center channel, and have yet to worry about a solution. It's worth hooking up the center channel and finding out.

Thanks for the idea. I'll let you know when I check it out.

#75545 - 09/05/06 10:06 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Heck, just turn the center on and give it a whirl - it won't hurt anything for a signal to go to a dead end, and it's faster than digging out a speaker and some speaker cable. smile

#75546 - 09/06/06 09:55 AM Re: 5 channel stereo?
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Aha, we actually got somewhere. I took Gonk's suggestion and the lack of a center channel was indeed the issue. However, that leaves me with either the inability to use 5 channel stereo, or in my case 4 channel stereo, or to find a different stand to use my center channel - which I am going to look around for.

Thanks for your help.

#75547 - 09/06/06 02:48 PM Re: 5 channel stereo?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Success! Excellent.

I wonder if a future firmware update could allow for a "4 Stereo" mode that would work with systems lacking a center channel...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts