Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75031 - 01/03/06 07:38 PM Display Legibility & DVI With HDCP
WRBreland Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Mississippi
Hi All,

I am in the market for a new audio processor and have been researching the Outlaw 970.

Some users mentioned they have trouble reading the front panel display from short distances. Can other users comment on the legibility of the front panel display? Size of the display (i.e., .2in, 3mm, etc.)?

Is there any other volume level indicator other than the front panel display? Can you store volume levels in memory.

DVI Switcher - The manual does not mention if the DVI switcher is HDCP complaint. Does anyone know if it is HDCP compliant?

#75032 - 01/03/06 08:37 PM Re: Display Legibility & DVI With HDCP
John151 Offline
Gunslinger

The display is hard to read from much more than 5 feet. The display area is about the same as my NAD AVR (1.25" tall), but the dots are much smaller, and the 970 displays text on several lines, where my NAD displays text on only one line. It is like having a smaller font size in MS Word - you get more characters in the same space, but it is harder to read. Also, the 970 text is verbose, and does not use Icons (everything is written out in text, where my NAD uses Icons for things like Dobly and THX).

The display is one of my very few complaints. However, this isn't much of an issue now that I programmed my universal remote to work the 970, and have everything set up and configured.

I don't think HDCP comes into play with the 970's DVI switcher - it simply makes connections between the input and output (i.e. the source components don't see the 970 in the chain). I could be wrong on this. However, I am switching a HDCP compliant Motorola Cable Box via DVI w/o issues.

#75033 - 01/03/06 10:41 PM Re: Display Legibility & DVI With HDCP
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The switcher is designed to be HDCP compliant (same concept as the DVI switching in the Model 990). There may be some sources that don't do HDCP compliance consistently with switchers, but in most cases that is not a problem - and those cases will tend to cause problems with any DVI/HDMI switch.

The only volume indicator other than the front panel is an on-screen pop-up that works with any composite or s-video input. For component or DVI inputs, the front panel is all you've got. The volume control is global (no setting a different level for each input), but there is a start-up default that can be set so that any time you turn the unit on it will automatically go to that volume level.

#75034 - 01/04/06 12:56 AM Re: Display Legibility & DVI With HDCP
John151 Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by John151:
I could be wrong on this.
Yep, I was wrong. Sorry for posting incorrect info. I thought I read a post on hear about the back ground of the DVI switch, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps I confused it with another site.

I tried to take a photo of the 970 and my NAD, but the pics just don't turn out worth a darn.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts