Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74677 - 09/03/07 05:23 PM SMS -- use LFE out or not?
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

So, with the SMS-1 I now have a great deal of control over the crossover between my mains and my subwoofer -- much more so than I have on my receiver. The SMS-1 allows me to adjust crossover with more options, with additional slopes, etc.

Is there any reason I should use the LFE out on my reciever, when I can instead set my mains to 'Large' and have the SMS-1 cover the bass management?

#74678 - 09/03/07 05:56 PM Re: SMS -- use LFE out or not?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The SMS-1's crossover works well for the sub's signal, but it doesn't really do much for you on the other five channels - as such, it is not really a good substitute for your receiver's bass management. That's why I have the low pass crossover on my SMS-1 disabled.

#74679 - 09/25/07 07:29 PM Re: SMS -- use LFE out or not?
donaudio Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida
I am confused. I disabled my pre-pro crossover and am using the crossover in the SMS-1 because I feel it is more versatile. Is this incorrect? Don

#74680 - 09/25/07 07:41 PM Re: SMS -- use LFE out or not?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The SMS-1's crossover is different than the one in your pre/pro. The subsonic filter (a high-pass filter that cuts off the extreme low end) and the low-pass crossover are both very adjustable, but they work with the subwoofer signal only. You can route the left and right channels through the SMS-1 on the way to your amp (assuming you have a separate power amplifier rather than a receiver with internal amplification), but they will have an 80Hz analog crossover applied to them. There is no adjustment available for that.

I'd generally recommend using the SMS-1 for bass management only if you were in a two-channel system with separate amplification (or a pre-out/mains-in option similar to what the RR2150 offers) and can't do bass management in the pre-amp. If you have a surround receiver or processor with bass management available for all channels, you're probably best off using that instead of the SMS-1's bass management becasue it is a more complete solution.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM