Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#74607 - 12/05/06 08:41 AM Re: SMS-1 setup question..
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
Okay, I finally got around this weekend to really sit down and focus on getting my room setup with the SMS-1 and I have a few questions. This is how I started off, first I disconnected the sub cables from the SMS-1 and went directly to the 990 to calibrate the subs to 75db in line with all the other speakers. Once I had all speakers including the subs running at 75db I then reconnected the sub cables back to the SMS-1 and ran the auto-eq feature of the SMS-1 as a starting point. Once the volume on the 990 was around 80db on the right side of the screen I began to raise the volume on the left side of the screen to match the right. The one thing I noticed was the volume on the SMS-1 was somewhere around 50, is this normal? Once I began manually adjusting the eq of the SMS-1 I could get everything pretty flat until I got to 125Hz where I got a drop of about 4db, is this normal also? Is there anyway to adjust this, is it placement or are there some settings I don't know about. And before anyone asks, I have the crossover in the SMS-1 disabled and I'm using the 990's crossover. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#74608 - 12/05/06 01:12 PM Re: SMS-1 setup question..
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My SMS-1's volume setting isn't that high, but you're going to see a fair bit of variation and I wouldn't worry about it (for that matter, I felt funny setting my SMS-1's volume as low as I did, would have felt less odd about setting it up around where you have it).

If you have a dip or other activity around 125Hz, it's nothing that the SMS-1 can help with. Not only is your crossover probably set higher than that (meaning that the sub is no longer active at that point, at least with the SMS-1's test tone), but the highest position that you can set an EQ to on the SMS-1 is 120Hz even if you did raise your crossover that much - not something that I'd recommend doing. Also, I think that the SMS-1 is not intended to continue to provide accurate results all the way up to the end of the scale since it can't apply EQ all the way there. In my experience, it seems to start to roll off around 160Hz or so. Once you get too much past 150Hz I don't know how precise the display is.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM