Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74567 - 10/05/06 04:27 PM auto eq and presets
evan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ny
sorry to bother you guys again, but f my auto eq curve is defaulted to preset 4 what happens to the presets , and how do I know if I am hearing my auto response or the preset for jazz, and can I still use the other presets

#74568 - 10/05/06 05:02 PM Re: auto eq and presets
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Only if you ran the auto-EQ setup or manual EQ setup with the SMS-1 set to a specific preset (rather than "setup") would the EQ settings be saved to only that specific preset. By default, however, both auto-EQ and the manual adjustments are done under the "setup" preset, which means that the exact same adjustments are applied to all five presets. At that point, the only differences between the presets are those described on the System Settings screen (including one additional EQ and different volume levels).

Bottom line: preset 4 is the default preset for the SMS-1. By default, presets 2, 4, and 5 all purely output your custom EQ curve with no additional changes. You can use any of the five presets and get your custom EQ curve (preset 6 being a bypass of the entire EQ section), but presets 1 and 3 will by default apply an extra boost to the curve (5dB at 35Hz for preset 1 and 3dB at 55Hz for preset 3) as well as a volume boost to the entire sub signal (5dB for preset 1 and 3dB for preset 3).

#74569 - 10/05/06 06:42 PM Re: auto eq and presets
evan Offline
Gunslinger

thanks I have been playing with this between work and sleep I won't be able to spend some real time with this until sunday

#74570 - 10/19/06 01:48 PM Re: auto eq and presets
barend Offline
Gunslinger

I noticed there was always just one EQ'ed curve for all the presets.
At least, I could not save more than one.
Only the table of columns on the final screen can be set differently per preset, like volume and crossover.
I have yet to see a useful description on the "save and lock" procedure; the manuals are quite unclear and so is Gonk's page IMO on this point.

#74571 - 10/19/06 06:09 PM Re: auto eq and presets
gonk Offline
Desperado

You can save completely different EQ settings for each preset by changing the preset on the System Response screen from "SETUP" to a specific preset. I'm not sure what the "save and lock" procedure refers to.

#74572 - 10/20/06 03:48 AM Re: auto eq and presets
barend Offline
Gunslinger

@gonk

Sorry, maybe I was doing something wrong all the time...
So what you are saying is you place the cursor in some other column than SETUP, press TEST, construct another curve, press TEST again and the original curve is still there?
Or do you EXIT, SAVE and reenter every time you shift the cursor to another column?
So if I understand you correcrly, you CAN end up with 6 different curves?
What is the purpose of LOCK, then?

Well, yesterday evening I played around with the Behringer again, problem is there's no level control, and for some reason it doesn't sound so "clean" as the SMS-1.
Of course I can haul my now extinct Outlaw analog bass management from the attic, but I don't really want more cabling with extra hum and noise...
Another good thing about the SMS-1 was you can have several volume settings- I had made 6 buttons on my Pronto remote plus mute which worked very well.
So I may reuse the SMS-1 and "play it by ear"...

#74573 - 10/20/06 07:44 AM Re: auto eq and presets
gonk Offline
Desperado

The "LOCED/UNLOCKED" setting simply lets you prevent anyone from making changes to the System Settings screen - it's purely a setting to say "I've got it fixed, now I don't want anyone to break it."

You can store up to five different curves (preset 6 is "bypass" and simply skips all EQ) by changing the "Preset:" value above from SETUP (which adjusts all five EQ'd presets simultaneously) to PRESET 1 through PRESET 5. If you run the Auto-EQ individually on each preset, you should get much the same thing each time - after all, the SMS-1 is using the same logic each time. You could move the microphone around and run separate Auto-EQ's to see what effect that has, but I did my SMS-1 setup manually. You could experiment with an assortment of different manual curves in this manner if you wanted to.

#74574 - 10/22/06 10:58 AM Re: auto eq and presets
evan Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk ,mine are all the same to which is fine ,but even when I hit bypass, to hear a difference it sounds the same

#74575 - 10/22/06 12:10 PM Re: auto eq and presets
gonk Offline
Desperado

They should all be the same unless you have manually altered them (the convenience of the SETUP preset, since most of the time we want to have the same EQ curve applied to all of the presets). As for the lack of difference between bypass and the other preset, you'll only hear a difference when the sub is getting a fair bit of information - and to hear the most difference, you'll probably need to have done a manual EQ in order to get the maximum benefit from the SMS-1.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM