Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74555 - 08/19/06 02:17 PM First impressions
barend Offline
Gunslinger

Took me some time to find my way in the two screens.
Must say, after many runs of self-EQ and adjusting as best I could, I felt rather disappointed.
The flattened curve I saw did not seem to match my ears very well; sure, tweaking the sliders, BW and band frequencies made the changes immediately apparent on the screen.
But when I connected my tone generator and slowly swept from 20 to 120 Hz, some discrepancies were immediately apparent: the familiar +12dB bump at 67 Hz was completely missed, as were several others!
I retried after pulling out the L and R speakers, sure enough the bump was created by the sub (as well as by the fronts, since they're standing in line).
Now I may have done some things wrong (?) but AFAIK a room mode (standing wave) needs time to build up, and the repetitive bursts seem far too fast...
I ended up using a very bumpy curve, that at least seemed reasonably flat to my ears.
Right now, the SMS1 doesn't seem to be capable of anything my Behringer DEQ2496 can't, AND has only one channel while the DEQ has two...
Anyone?

#74556 - 08/19/06 04:56 PM Re: First impressions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
First, I'll say that self-EQ isn't the best way to size up the SMS-1. I'd also be surprised if the crew at Velodyne included a frequency sweep to fast to identify standing waves. Probably the best recommendation for tinkering with the SMS-1 is to look at Outlaw's guide as far as how to hook it up for adjustment.

#74557 - 08/20/06 04:16 AM Re: First impressions
barend Offline
Gunslinger

Yes Gonk, I think (after a night's sleep) that it would be silly of me to think that Velodyne would have goofed up like this...so I'm going to put the mike boom exactly in line with my head to start with.
(Standing waves can seem to shift back and forth even when I bend forwards).
Also, I won't use the Self-EQ now at all, if only for fear of blowing up the sub...
And this time I will use the big REL Strata, a nice dry sub www.rel.co.uk
Currently trying out the Q2 KS-Digital QSUB2 dipole sub (2 speakers blasting away into each other's cones, effectuating a diffuse and -they claim- less standing wave - prone emission from the front and rear ports).
Scanning with the tone generator I noticed this sub rattles up to 23 Hz (the REL doesn't do that, it rattles the room contents when going down from 25 Hz, but still keeps sounding tuneful until changing to thump-thump-thump below 15 Hz.

Plenty to do this Sunday!
Pl

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts