Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74516 - 07/24/06 10:12 AM SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
LQQK Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Earth
I have an R-DES that is driving me crazy (constantly trying to get it RIGHT!!!)

I need the K I S S version of everything,,,Basically plug and play.

I'm fed up with complications...I just want to be able to enjoy my toys W/O always having to run sweeps and entering them only to have to guess what adjustments work and then redo it all over again and again.

I want to be able to use both Subs UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3(sealed & ported) in my system.

I've read about the SMS-1 and it might be what I need.. confused

I have a Rocket system, (6-760s + RSC-200 CENTER)room is 14.6 X 20 X 7.8 (W L H) I have floor to ceiling BAC bass traps in all 4 corners & acoustic panels on the walls for reflections.

My problem is that I can't seem to find a happy medium between blending the subs with my system,,,I like equal amounts of music and movies, well the subs are either too annoying/bloated or absent,,not enough...Does this sound like a common problem or am I trying for the impossible?

Please convince me that the SMS-1 could/would FIX my problem.

Does the SMS-1 ever go on sale,,,What is/was the lowest price when on sale?

LQQK

#74517 - 07/24/06 11:31 AM Re: SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The SMS-1 would probably be a very good fit for your case - it is a very effective way to dial in a system's subs. The interface's ability to give immediate feedback to EQ changes can really speed the setup process. I've taken to recommending that anyone interested in the SMS-1 take a look at Outlaw\'s Guide , particularly if you have an appropriate respect for the KISS principle (or for Douglas Adams, for that matter).

The list price from Velodyne for the SMS-1 is $699, but it sells around here for $599. At the moment, Outlaw has a free ground shipping deal on the SMS-1. That's about as much of a sale as I've seen for a Velodyne-authorized source.

#74518 - 07/26/06 11:32 AM Re: SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
LQQK Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Earth
I just checked back here because i was wondering why I hadn't received an email reply notification to my post,,,Thanks GONK,,,Not sure why notification isn't working for me.

If I purchase the SMS-1 would the following scenario be recommended or work?

Hook up one sub, do the testing (auto) with sub & SMS-1 to get the sub dialed in (DIALS ON REAR OF SUB),,,then do the same for the other one,,,and finally do it (auto or manually) with both hooked up??

I hope I'm understanding it,,,I can program one setting for DD one for DTS and one for Music and control it with the remote?

Does it have to be turned on/off each time?

More questions will follow I'm sure...

I hope notification works...

LQQK

#74519 - 07/26/06 10:03 PM Re: SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you have two subs, I'd run the two of them at once for calibration - you're goal is to EQ the overall system, not the individual subs. You can adjust sub level, an extra sub EQ, and or even an entirely separate curve for each of the five presets. I leave my SMS-1 on all the time.

#74520 - 09/14/06 02:19 PM Re: SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
jongaro Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: sacramento
hey LQQk, did you get your system running okay?

a late post but i've got the HO along with dual ufw-12's. if you have any questions i'm using the sms myself.
Outlaw 7100 not being used currently
Rocket 850's - Main
Rocket 200 - Center
Rocket 760's - Rears
twin rocket
ufw-12's - Sub
VTF3-HO with turbo
Dual BMF's on pre-order
Velodyne SMS-1

#74521 - 09/15/06 01:06 PM Re: SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
barend Offline
Gunslinger

You can use the auto function on the SMS1 for starters, but should not stop there.
By tweaking the curve you can surely enhance the curve more.
And bear in mind that the SMS-1 can hardly be used beyond the crossover frequency; it can show the curve until 200Hz but it can't control the higher part.
In fact, I had a nasty 100Hz +18dB bump I tried to get rid of, and had to dial in the EXTRA crossover filter inside the SMS-1 (on top of the 990 filter) with a 32dB flank steepness to prevent the 100Hz bump to be output through the sub...
There are also discrepancies in the actual amplitudes of the bumps and holes shown on the screen- always try to use your ears to confirm what you're seeing...
This is partcularly so around the crossover frequency, my room has a bump at 67Hz which hardly reared it's nasty head on the TV, but was in fact very audible.
So I ended up setting an extra -12dB EQ on that frequency, which made the display worse but the sound better!
Remember, the SMS1 is only a tool, not a miracle.

#74522 - 09/17/06 06:29 AM Re: SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
getech Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oakland, CA
Post removed by administrator

#74523 - 09/17/06 10:13 AM Re: SMS-1 + Rocket UFW-12 & HSU VTF-3?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Greg, you may recall I mentioned that Outlaw asked us not to sell or trade equipment in the forum. You might try someplace like Audiogon .

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM