Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74511 - 06/22/06 11:21 AM Digital?
barend Offline
Gunslinger

Does the SMS-1 operate in the analog domain?
I do not like the addition of another ADC plus DAC...
Is the only difference with the BFD (or some other equalizer) the self-measuring option?
How important are the phase settings, I wonder?
Barend

#74512 - 06/22/06 08:52 PM Re: Digital?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The SMS-1 (and pretty much every EQ tool around these days, including Behringer's Feedback Destroyer) operates in the digital domain. In all of those cases, only the sub's signal is bounced from analog to digital and back, so it's not affecting the more sensitive full-range signals - I certainly couldn't discern any audible effect (aside from the improvements due to EQ'ing) with I installed an SMS-1 back in December. If you haven't done so already, poke around through Outlaw's SMS-1 Guide for an idea of what it'll do - not only will it provide some auto-setup, but it'll allow very convenient and effective manual tweaking through an on-screen system (no separate PC and software package required, unlike other systems).

#74513 - 06/25/06 06:48 AM Re: Digital?
barend Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk,

I'm using a couple of DEQ2496 Behringers, and they work OK as long as I don't use their auto-EQ option (BTW- the beautiful omnidirectional mike supplied with the Velodyne unit is definitely the Behringer ECM4004), but simply take my generator down and listen to the bumps and holes...
As a matter of fact, Behringer advises against the use of their Auto-EQ below 100Hz, and sure enough the results aren't very meaningful...

Now I wonder, how can the SMS do any better?
Seen the charts, read the stories, still wonder if it's perhaps the variable phasing settings that make the difference?

Of course, DAC/ADC is not so important on a sub, but I want to use something for my fronts...main room mode is 100 Hz (plus 20 dB !), which is too directional to send to a sub only.
Maybe I should try an analog EQ but they're so hideously ugly!

I owned most of B.'s EQ gear over the years, and most exhibit hiss, and some expect more input signal to make the ADC feel happy...
Is the SMS more sensitive?

Anyway, with the falling $ rate I could order one sometime...

Barend

#74514 - 06/25/06 08:11 AM Re: Digital?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't used a Behringer, but the SMS-1 was designed from the ground up to deal with frequencies below 100Hz. The Auto-EQ options are something of a convenience: they'll adjust EQ levels to do the best they can at the default frequency settings and Q settings (and whatever level and phase you set the unit to before running the auto mode). It's the manual adjustments that really let the SMS-1 shine. Unlike the Behringer, the SMS-1 adds the ability to accurately measure the SPL from the frequency sweep and to display that on your TV. Check out the example at the end of Outlaw's guide to see just what the SMS-1 can do.

On the other hand... The SMS-1 is a mono device - if you want to use it to EQ your mains at 100Hz, you'd need one for each channel. I actually moved my crossover for my mains up from 60Hz to 80Hz because I found a null in the low 60's and shifting the crossover up alowed me to fix it with the SMS-1. I agree that fixing a 100Hz mode is a somewhat different matter, though.

#74515 - 06/26/06 01:57 PM Re: Digital?
barend Offline
Gunslinger

Maybe I will build a stereo notch filter for just this darned 100Hz and leave the rest be...using the SMS for the sub (xover set to 80Hz).
At least the SMS looks nice, compared to the hideous Behringers...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM