Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74496 - 05/30/06 11:38 AM SMS-1 news from the Outlaws
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I was just reading through the newsletter that was posted this morning, and came across some interesting SMS-1 news that seemed worthy of some special attention. For one thing, Outlaw posted an Outlaw\'s Guide to the SMS-1 that looks pretty cool. It looks to be a very handy partner to the original manual (which was pretty comprehensive but not always the easiest to navigate). Plus the format should give Douglas Adams fans a grin.

I also noticed that Velodyne has released a firmware update (v2.12) for the SMS-1. It's available from Outlaw's SMS-1 page , but it's also on Velodyne\'s site . I don't know that I'll install it since the only thing it appears to do is modify the subsonic filter to allow it to be set as low as 5Hz (instead of the 15Hz lower limit on the original v2.10 firmware), but it deserves mentioning.

#74497 - 05/30/06 04:21 PM Re: SMS-1 news from the Outlaws
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

gonk,

Thanks for the link to the Outlaw "Outlaw" Guide to the SMS-1. I agree. Very nice. I'll be using it the next time I hitchhike to the stars.

wink

I agree about the firmware update. At this time I will also pass on upgrading unless I find that it also addresses other issues (none of which I've come across). My posture at the moment is an "if it ain't broke..." one. The SMS-1 has become so transparent in my system that the only time I'm even aware of its existence is when there is an occasional power outage. When the power returns the "light" illuminates the display (I usually keep it off).

Great little unit and the new docs really tell the tale nicely. Kudos to all involved.

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#74498 - 05/30/06 05:56 PM Re: SMS-1 news from the Outlaws
candyman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Beaverton
I came across the Outlaw Guide to the SMS-1 as well this afternoon. I like the layout and humor injected format. It makes the SMS-1 more approachable and the setup less difficult than the Velodyne documentation (iirc).

I'm feeling inspired after perusing the guide and tonight will run through the SMS-1 setup using the Outlaw Guide.

Rob
Samsung 65" LED TV
Front: Martin Logan reQuests & Logos
Surround: Martin Logan Fresco i via Outlaw OAWA3
Sub: ACI Maestro w/ ICE amp

#74499 - 05/31/06 08:48 PM Re: SMS-1 news from the Outlaws
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
This is great news. Many of us DIY subwoofer owners have subs that will go below 15Hz, at least we think we do. We had asked Velodyne to provide an update that would allow a lower frequency if possible and they delivered. If you decide that you want to go with the firmware update you will need a DB9 (RS232) male to female cable which I picked up at the local electronics store for $3.99 (6 foot).

When you run the update it will tell you: "Welcome to the SMS-1 Version 2.12 Update Utility. Please connect a "Mouse Extension" serial cable from a serial port on your computer to the RS-232 IN jack on the back of your SMS-1. Then turn the unit off and back on while holding down BOTH the UP and DOWN volume buttons on the front panel."

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#74500 - 05/31/06 08:52 PM Re: SMS-1 news from the Outlaws
gooch Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: arizona
I was talking with Curt from Velo the other day about a problem I was having and THAT update came up in the conversation. He told me the ONLY thing it does is change the subsonic filter to 5Hz. I guess a bunch of SVS guys ganged up on Velo and asked for lower. I have both my SVS set to 20Hz and get more ass-end than I know what to do with, no firmware update for me.

#74501 - 01/18/07 08:08 AM Re: SMS-1 news from the Outlaws
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Here's something interesting - Velodyne's SMS-1 page now includes a link to Outlaw's guide. smile

#74502 - 01/19/07 09:03 PM Re: SMS-1 news from the Outlaws
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gooch:
I was talking with Curt from Velo the other day about a problem I was having and THAT update came up in the conversation. He told me the ONLY thing it does is change the subsonic filter to 5Hz. I guess a bunch of SVS guys ganged up on Velo and asked for lower. I have both my SVS set to 20Hz and get more ass-end than I know what to do with, no firmware update for me.
The update gives you the option of adjusting the filter to 5Hz. You don't have to set it that low if you don't want to.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM