Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#7505 - 04/13/03 04:42 AM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#7506 - 04/13/03 07:13 AM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by eurorom:
You are correct sound these JBL_PRO are the real deal...........I think i mention my main speakers the GREAT JBL Studio Monitors 4430 and the 8330 for surrounds.

Same surrounds I use. They are the ones that are used in dubbing theaters and cinemas....can't get closer than that. I've had no trouble running them "large", even with some of the abuse I throw at them. They are actually pretty fine speakers in their own right, and if you want to get really anal, you can flip that EQ switch on the input panel to match their response to that in a cinema. I constructed 1/8" thick plates with 4 "keyhole" shaped holes that mate with the four screw holes on the rear of the cabinets. I screwed the plates with 3/8" spacers to the wall, then the speakers hook down into the keyholes easily (I have 4 screws partially screwed into the four holes in the cabinet back). This makes a really clean installation and the speakers sit very close to the wall. They even will stay on the wall during an earthquake - I know that first hand

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited April 13, 2003).]

#7507 - 04/13/03 07:26 AM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

alphanstein:

Glad you like the stereo sub setup!

So you have your front mains set to "large" and your surrounds set to "small", and are routing the LFE + surround bass to the DBX subwoofer?

#7508 - 04/13/03 07:27 AM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Duplicate post.....

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited April 13, 2003).]

#7509 - 04/13/03 12:57 PM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
eurorom Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: El Paso Texas
Afcourse my mains are not as good as your mains, but I love them for music....

#7510 - 04/13/03 03:17 PM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
alphanstein Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego, CA
Yes, the surrounds only go to about 80Hz flat, so anything below drops to far off to be felt in conjunction with the fronts.

For the previous poster, the remix option is available in may receivers/pre's that allows you to set the various speakers to small and then the bass will be redirected to the LFE channel for each of those you set to small as long as the remix option is active. In my case, since I do not have "full range" surrounds and rears, it is ideal for me to remix the sub frequencies from those into the LFE channel.

#7511 - 04/13/03 04:20 PM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

alphanstein:

You have come up with a good option for those who have one sub, and also have "large" front mains!

#7512 - 04/16/03 03:39 PM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
A further question comes to mind for those familiar with audio mixing for Stereo (for current most music and the stereo only film tracks) and mixing for 5.1 (for some recent music and most current film):

When mixing for stereo, with or without surround sound encoding, everything is in those two tracks, including any added LFE. It is up to the consumer and his or her equipment to replay as stereo or ‘decode’ surround sound. This presents a not-as-complex situation for low frequency signals and the use of 1, 2 or 3 subs.

Now let us consider 5.1, and perhaps other discrete multi-channel methods. According to SH, the FL and FR of 5.1 will not contain the LFE signal, although the LFE may contain the lowest of the FL and FR music information for low-end reinforcement. Bossobass appears to indicate that the L and R will contain the LFE. Is there a contradiction here? Or can a distinction be made between the L/R signal of stereo and the FL/FR signal of 5.1 in that L/R contains all low frequency information and FL/FR does not? In other words, if one were to compare the L and R signals of stereo out with the FL and FR signals of 5.1, one would find quite a few differences? And, if there are differences, are the differences with regard to stereo vs. multi-channel for film different from the differences between stereo and multi-channel for music?

Yikes!

#7513 - 04/16/03 05:25 PM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
rghinton Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Green Bay, WI USA
Good question bestbang4thebuck. I am thinking of using 3 subwoofers, one each associated with the FL, FC & FR to give me full frequency response from 20Hz to 20KHz on these channels. If I set my 3 front speakers to large and do not use a sub on the .1 channel will I be missing anything? I wish that the Outlaw manual would cover all of these situations or is there some other generic document that covers this stuff? Thank you ---- Thank you very much. Reed

#7514 - 04/16/03 06:50 PM Re: Stereo Subwoofers?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
in the setup for stereo subs that SH suggests, the sub is set to 'no'.

that means that the LFE is being summed with the redirected bass from any speakers set to 'small' and sent to the front lreft and front right speakers.

SH then suggests splitting the signal with an external crossover, low pass sent to the sub and high pass sent to the front speaker.

i contend, simply, that with this setup, the summing of LFE signal with the bass from the FL and FR, plus the bass from any speaker set to 'small', negates the stereo bass effect in multi-channel formats.

rghinton: if you set your sub to 'no', and your FL, C and FR to 'large', it will work fine. you will, however, have the LFE signal, split equally, sent to those speakers also, along with any redirected bass from the satellites (if they are set to 'small').

there is a huge difference between stereo and multi-channel music:

1. stereo has only 2 channels of signal. even if you use BM and a sub, you are only getting low pass filtered bass into the sub.

2. multi-channel soundtracks have a discrete LFE channel that is limited to 120 hz. it is output through the 950's SW output, along with the bass from any speakers set to 'small'.

3. multi-channel dvd-a/sacd have a discrete 6th channel. some discs do not use the channel at all, some use it for full range signal and some use it for LFE signal.

for the record, i agree with SH's setup, with 1 small difference. i believe the LFE channel should have it's own output, filter and slope options and 360 degree phase adjustment option, sent to it's own sub/amp. the LFE sub/amp should have a high pass output for a satellite to be used in the case of full range signal in dvd-a/sacd formats. this way, you get full benefit of the .1 channel in any multi-channel format, and the stereo subs will work measurably better without .1 signal contamination.

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM