Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74447 - 03/18/06 05:27 PM mains rolling off before 200hz
ted_b Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westlake, OH
Why would you think my mains are showing quite a rollof after 160hz in the initial sweep I do with sub muted? Is the sweep really rolled off there too; the demo screenshots don't show that to be true.

My first weekend with the SMS-1 and I love it. Figured out a few of the shortcuts and tricks, thanks to reading this forum, and it has helped the learning curve a lot. I am going to try and do the "sub at lp" exercise next. All I've done so far is move them out of the front corners along the front wall and it has helped tremendously. I'm also toying with a switcher that I'll describe later. Net/net, my room doesn't like it when I play through the processor (lfe/sub out to SMS) and also the fronts are augmented by the same signal (meaning second set of front stereo preamp inputs to SMS AND processor lfe input all at once). Right now I unplug one or the other when EQ'ing and/or playing stereo vs processor.

#74448 - 03/18/06 06:01 PM Re: mains rolling off before 200hz
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The sweep runs all the way up to 200Hz without a dip. What speakers are you using?

#74449 - 03/18/06 06:36 PM Re: mains rolling off before 200hz
ted_b Offline
Gunslinger

VMPS RM/X's. They are 7 ft tall 350 lb ribbon-based speakers with 2-12" and 1 15" (passive rad) each, and rated to 20hz. I have them pulled out inot the room some (for imagiong and soundstage) and not surprised by their lack of great low end, but to have them roll off after 160hz instead of running full out to 200hz is surprising.

I can send you screen shot....the low end has a bump and I have a trough at 38hz which is not surprising, but after sub placement and EQ it has worked very nicely. Net, net, I've been able to get a decent "flat" curve with the two subs and EQ'ing, with little boost, but it's the 160-200 (non-SMS issue) that's bugging me.

#74450 - 03/18/06 09:41 PM Re: mains rolling off before 200hz
gonk Offline
Desperado

You've got a PM, ted_b.

#74451 - 03/19/06 08:22 AM Re: mains rolling off before 200hz
gonk Offline
Desperado

I got your e-mail and went back to some old notes of mine. It turns out I did have a bit of roll-off happening near the upper end of the scale (albeit not quite as pronounced as yours, which is probably why I didn't remember it being there). I suspect that we're both seeing a roll-off in the test tone sweep (understandable, since by that point you've moved beyond the 120Hz limit of the equalizers).

For reference, here's ted_b\'s curve and a largely unadjusted curve from my system (my file's a bit large, sorry - didn't resize or anything).

By the way, ted_b, that's a really slick looking setup you have! ( Room layout and front of room .)

#74452 - 03/19/06 11:35 AM Re: mains rolling off before 200hz
ted_b Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. A few things have changed, mainly the addition of diffuser drapes on the front wall (closed for music; diffusion really helps soundstage and imaging and getting rid of that huge relective screen area) and the movement of the Sunfire subs to an approx 1/5th position along the front wall, facing the lp. I'll be reporting back on what I end up with position-wise, using the put-subs-in-lp-position approach.. The Sunfires subs are gonna be replaced, but since a possible great deal on nearly new VMPS Largers fell through I am not ready yet with that replacement. The SMS-1 is clearly making the current subs work a lot better in the meantime.

Yeah, your sweep shot makes me think the rolloff after 160hz is no big deal. Thanks.

#74453 - 03/19/06 04:18 PM Re: mains rolling off before 200hz
gonk Offline
Desperado

While my daughter is napping, I thought I'd take a break from watching the Memphis Tigers play to post a few new pictures of ted_b's setup:

Room layout (plan view)

Front of room (updated pic)

SMS-1 EQ with adjusted curve

#74454 - 03/19/06 05:21 PM Re: mains rolling off before 200hz
ted_b Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks. I'm not satisfied with that EQ mainly because it contains too many boosts. My goal is none...only taming peaks. However, so far it sounds pretty darn good. smile

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM