Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#7434 - 05/14/03 02:29 PM Re: Need speaker help
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
If you need to seperate your sub from the floor, I can't recommend the Auralex GRAMMA strongly enough. For only $50, you will be amazed at the difference in the sound. Of course, it does add a small platform to your room which probably would not go well with the WAF. But part of it is purple!!

If you need more options on speaker damping material, you can check out this site:
www.partsexpress.com

#7435 - 05/21/03 08:32 PM Re: Need speaker help
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

Well, I'm still working on my B&W in walls. So, the saga continues....

The speakers are starting to sound good with movies. The biggest breakthrough came when I discovered a little setting on my dvd player that switches the optical output to allow an external device do the Dolby processing. I noticed that whatever dvd was in the player, I was never able to access the digital surround modes on my 950. I changed the setting, and all of a sudden my 950 has several other surround modes. Imagine that!!!

When the dvd player was doing the decoding the action in a movie was rather low while the music came through loud and clear. It had surround features, but not worth the money. When I switched the dvd player to let the 950 do the thinking everything came alive. The action sound are crisp and clear and the music is well defined and properly balanced with the other sounds.

#7436 - 05/22/03 07:26 PM Re: Need speaker help
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

I bit the bullet and reduced the enclosure volume on my front L & R and center channel. They were previously about 5'000 to 6'000 cubic inches and I added an interior partition to bring the volume down to 2'000 cubic inches. I put fiberglass insulation (compressed to about double it's normal density) in half of the remaining enclosure volume. The bass is much tighter, the highs continue to be strong and the mid-tones are coming through stronger.

It is an improvement over the huge enclosure volume with lots of insulation and foam, but I am getting diminishing returns. I tested the Austin Powers Gold Member DVD and the sound was very good, especially considering my huge, odd shaped room. Music is also improved though not to true audiophile levels.

#7437 - 05/22/03 10:50 PM Re: Need speaker help
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#7438 - 05/23/03 06:47 AM Re: Need speaker help
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

Wayne, It's funny you mentioned filling the enclosure completely, I'm slowly coming to that conclusion.

One of my side surrounds is in an exterior wall that is tightly filled with insulation and the other is in an empty interior wall. I cut out a pocket in the insulation the size of the speaker in the exterior wall I did put a "plug" of insulation above and below the speaker in the hollow interior wall (but I pushed the insulation up/down to create a cavity about 18" high). There is a noticable difference in the sound. I think some is due to the encosure volume and some is due to the sheetrock vibrating. The insulation seems to add support to the sheetrock and stiffen the enclosure, but I'm sure the smaller volume helps tighten the speaker's responce. I do notice that the side speaker with a larger enclosure can play lower bass, but it seems more loose. They have 8" woofers so they still play low enough, even with the minimal/no enclosure volume.

The funny thing about all of this is that when I spoke with B&W tech. support they said the speakers wanted to have an enclosure volume of about 2'500 cubic inches, but then went on to suggest "stuffing some insulation in there...".

#7439 - 03/02/04 05:48 PM Re: Need speaker help
GRCRYSTYK Offline
Gunslinger

Dane,...
How dod this all come out in the end? I'm dealing with an in wall delema. I would guess, you have it hammered out, or in the street by this time. Did the big amp help or hinder your in wall tuning so to speak? I'm on the fence about an amp, and you experience is good info. I would love to hear how you worked it all out,...
Thanks GRCRY,...>>>--->

Quote:
Originally posted by Dane:
Wayne, It's funny you mentioned filling the enclosure completely, I'm slowly coming to that conclusion.

One of my side surrounds is in an exterior wall that is tightly filled with insulation and the other is in an empty interior wall. I cut out a pocket in the insulation the size of the speaker in the exterior wall I did put a "plug" of insulation above and below the speaker in the hollow interior wall (but I pushed the insulation up/down to create a cavity about 18" high). There is a noticable difference in the sound. I think some is due to the encosure volume and some is due to the sheetrock vibrating. The insulation seems to add support to the sheetrock and stiffen the enclosure, but I'm sure the smaller volume helps tighten the speaker's responce. I do notice that the side speaker with a larger enclosure can play lower bass, but it seems more loose. They have 8" woofers so they still play low enough, even with the minimal/no enclosure volume.

The funny thing about all of this is that when I spoke with B&W tech. support they said the speakers wanted to have an enclosure volume of about 2'500 cubic inches, but then went on to suggest "stuffing some insulation in there...".

#7440 - 03/02/04 08:03 PM Re: Need speaker help
Dane Offline
Gunslinger

First, let me say again that going in wall was a mediated settlement involving many lawyers.

I've grown to love the B&W in wall system. The wife is happy and the seven in wall speakers provide excellent surround sound. I have not upgraded my sub yet (bought a new pinball machine) but once I do that it will be perfect.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I had very limited chances to listen to speakers in person. The only ones I really got a chance to demo were the Paridigm and B&W. My buy decision was probably influenced by the B&W dealers better demo.

As for the 200 watts of Outlaw power... When I was breaking in the speakers I turned it up half way to 0db and left the house to work in the yard (the windows and doors were closed) the guys working on the heavy equipment logging a 1/4 mile away asked about the party Every time we watch a movie half the pictures in the house are crooked and every candle, flower pot, and decorative thingy has rubber feet. The sound is crisp, clear and un-distorted beyond the point of pain. I'm not sure if the 100w amp would have been enough, but the big monster (770) has shown no sign of weakness.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any detailed questions.

dane.deal@worldnet.att.net

#7441 - 04/13/04 11:40 AM Re: Need speaker help
NiceGuyWithEars Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Orlando, Florida, USA
Hi Dane,

New to the forum here but I've enjoyed reading your saga. I'm glad you have made peace with in-walls. Halfway down the replies I was convinced you would never get happy with them as I, personally, have never met a set of in-walls that pleased me.

As to subs, take a look at VMPS if you think the WAF can be manipulated a bit. I use the "Larger" subwoofer which may be a bit too much bass for your taste and the cabinet will def be too much for your wife. But Brian makes two smaller models and even the smallest blows away virtually everything else on the market including SVS. If you are even a little bit handy, he sells a nice kit that you can assemble in an hour or so. Compared to many "HT" subs, the VMPS will also complement your pure audio system.

Good luck and good viewing/listening.

------------------
The Nice Guy with the Good Ears.
"The human capacity for self-delusion is nearly boundless."

#7442 - 04/13/04 12:28 PM Re: Need speaker help
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
My adventure with speakers was different. Since I'm a musician I had some Mackie powered monitors hooked up to my small studio. I've always been amazed at how great those black boxes sounded. To make a long story short, I now have five Mackies and the Outlaw lfm hooked directly to my 950. Audio bliss! From an absolutely silent, black background the music seems to float in and around the speakers, effortlessly and musically, the way the Cleveland Orchestra sounds in Severance Hall. Adding the Brick Wall two months ago really moved things up a notch or two, as well. Anyone else using powered monitors besides your lfm's?

Jay

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts