Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74402 - 02/23/06 06:08 PM SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

As an FYI: I've just updated my HT web site (long overdue with lots of new equipment). One item covered is my new SMS-1, purchased thanks to some kind advice given here.

Excellent device! My experience with the SMS-1 is detailed on my site. Let's just say it has earned its keep!

A link to my HT site is in my signature. In addition you can go directly to the SMS-1 section HERE if you want to cut to the chase. (If you have the time, check out my ordeal getting a working HP MD5880n 1080p display. Even Peter Tribeman shouldn't have to go through that!)

laugh

Enjoy!

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#74403 - 02/23/06 09:31 PM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thanks for the update, RAF - your system continues to impress. It's a pretty cool honor to see my SMS-1 review linked in there, too. The TV story is some sort of frightening combination of my Best Buy TV delivery woes two yeras ago (they had sets in stock at a store five miles away from my house but I couldn't have one because I'd ordered from the web site), my kitchen renovation train wreck around the same time (ever seen what happens when an unshielded circular saw is set on a brand new vinyl floor before the saw quits spinning?), and a little extra seasoning to round things out.

#74404 - 02/24/06 11:13 AM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

You're welcome, gonk! I didn't realize how much CEDIA 2005 had "cost" me until I started updating my site. At least 10 new components! And thank you, once again, for allowing me to post your excellent summary and review of the SMS-1 on your pages.

What do you think of my SVS/M&K MX-350 experience with the SMS-1? I found it eye (ear?) opening and a great endorsement for the SMS-1.

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#74405 - 02/24/06 12:50 PM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I wasn't a bit surprised. It is reminiscent of my decision to adjust my crossover settings when I discovered a dip in room response that affected my mains. There was no way to EQ my mains, but by kicking the crossover up one notch I was able to pass the burden on to the sub and then EQ the dip out of existence. Same deal as you found - no ear I know is going to listen to a system and say "there's a dip at 56Hz that you need to fix" but the SMS-1 made it crystal clear.

#74406 - 02/25/06 01:31 PM Re: SMS-1 in the house (and on my HT site)
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

Exactly, gonk and a great point! Our two experiences serve to show how valuable the SMS-1 can be to even those who don't "see" any problem with their current setups. Unless one is severely anal about it (no comments, peanut gallery wink ) one is not going to be able to cover all possible parameters within reason and the SMS-1 is great at pointing out things that are easily correctable "if only we knew...."

Just goes to show that there is always room for improvement in things HT.

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

Who's Online
0 registered (), 99 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM