Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74399 - 02/16/06 09:48 PM 2 Subs 2 SMS-1s ?
Son of Sonny Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dekalb IL
If I am going to use 2 Subwoofers in stereo mode to properly equalize them will I need 2 SMS-1s?
If I need to clarify this please let me know.

#74400 - 02/16/06 10:47 PM Re: 2 Subs 2 SMS-1s ?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's an interesting question, and there are a couple ways to look at it. Probably the most imporant factor is whether or not your two subs are truly in a stereo configuration (each getting a different signal).

Two subs that share a common signal are a simpler case to consider. On the one hand, using two SMS-1's would let you equalize each one separately so that each had a smooth response and each had its phase adjusted as optimally as possible. On the other hand, the overall system response is the underlying goal, and a single SMS-1 can pretty reasonably achieve that with two subs sharing a common signal.

If you truly have two stereo subwoofers (meaning each gets a separate signal, one paired to the left channel and one paired to the right channel), you would probably want to use two SMS-1's because the SMS-1 produces a mono subwoofer output. Using a single SMS-1 would require you to sacrifice the stereo signals.

#74401 - 02/16/06 11:07 PM Re: 2 Subs 2 SMS-1s ?
Son of Sonny Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dekalb IL
Thank you gonk!
A simple answer to what I hoped would be a simple question. Yes my subs will be in true stereo. One to the left channel and one to the right. When this endeavor starts I am sure I will have some more questions. For now you have answered what I need. I hope these SMS-1s are all they are cracked up to be and I can achieve a better overall system response with them then doing it manually.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 94 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM