Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#74392 - 01/23/06 11:03 AM SMS-1 Slope Settings
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Miami
I couldn't help myself - I had to keep playing with my new toy and tweaking. The initial improvemnt was terrific but as I learn a little more I find I am able to continue improving the sound and response.

I have an SVS PB12/Ulra 2 sub which hits pretty low and I did notice that it did not seem to be hitting as low as it did before the SMS addition. Then I started playing with the slopes and discovered that changing the default slope setting from 24 to 6 solved that problem nicely...but I am not exactly sure I understand why or exactly how the slopes work or act in a system.

Does it help to match a sub slope with the mains or does that not matter? Also I ended up setting my Polk LSI 15s to Large. They have a lower db limit of 30. Does this sound okay? My crossover is set to 60. TIA

#74393 - 01/23/06 11:34 AM Re: SMS-1 Slope Settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Is the slope you are talking about the slope of the subsonic filter, or are you using the SMS-1's low pass crossover?

Assuming for the moment that your talking about the subsonic filter (which makes the most sense considering your comment on how it is behaving), a lower slope will cause the signal to drop off more slowly below the filter point. This means that the lower slope means your SVS will continue to get some signal (albeit steadily more and more reduced as you more toward lower frequencies) below the subsonic filter point. A higher slope will cause the signal to drop off to nothing much faster.

With the Polks set to large, I'm wondering how you are getting any signal to the SVS during calibration. Large mains will mean that the processor won't produce a subwoofer signal from the SMS-1's EQ output.

#74394 - 01/23/06 01:40 PM Re: SMS-1 Slope Settings
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Yes I meant the subsonic filter slope. Doesn't the processor still send the LFE (.1) to the sub no matter if you set the fronts to large? That is if you select 'subwoofer yes'? I am getting plenty of pants flapping bass and the response is pretty flat.

#74395 - 01/23/06 03:55 PM Re: SMS-1 Slope Settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

The processor does send LFE to the sub if it is set to on, but there is on LFE (.1) channel being provided by the SMS-1 - it's a stereo analog input so there's only left and right, and if the mains are large then I don't see how the sub is going to get anything from the SMS-1's test tones.

#74396 - 01/23/06 05:33 PM Re: SMS-1 Slope Settings
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

Hmmmm...well ..I don't know but there is bass coming from the sub and it's pretty decent however I will add that there is more when the mains are set to small. I will keep playing :p

#74397 - 01/23/06 05:42 PM Re: SMS-1 Slope Settings
gonk Offline
Desperado

When you have the mains set to large, what do you have the sub set to? If you are using an L/R+sub mode, that would explain the sub actually getting a signal, but otherwise it sounds like something odd is going on.

#74398 - 01/24/06 01:36 PM Re: SMS-1 Slope Settings
wingnut4772 Offline
Desperado

I just have it set to 'Subwoofer yes' and LFE only. It would not surprise me if something odd was going on. The Sherwood has had many buggy bass management issues.
Last night I watched 'Kingdom of Heaven ' with them set to Large.(unbeknownst to me because I thought I had set them back to small. I guess I did not because when I looked at it this morning they were still on Large.)
Anyhoo..The bass was rockin' the house.???

Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM