Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#74384 - 01/24/06 02:13 PM Re: Dual subs & sms-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't see a way for a problem at the SMS-1 to yield the results you are seeing unless the curve and the test tone obviously differed, which would be a mighty weird scenario. I'd probably start working through the Yamaha channels just for the sake of being thorough, but Velodyne or even Outlaw might be able to chip in a few suggestions.

#74385 - 01/25/06 03:19 PM Re: Dual subs & sms-1
HTADDICT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Minot ND
I called Yamaha tech support today, I got a quick response from a friendly tech, but alas he confirmed that my settings were correct and that any signal below 80hz should be redirected to the sub. frown

I'm sure not many people have dual svs-ultra's, and a velodyne sms-1 and six Klipsch RF-7's in there system so it would be hard for a tech over the phone to say it was the yamaha's fault. I sympathize with the fact that it would be hard for yamaha to fix my problem due to the fact that I am using a velodyne product to measure things, I guess the next step is to try a different receiver and see if that responds correctly to eliminate the sms-1 (although I'm pretty sure it's the yamaha). Other than getting a different receiver I don't see how I'm going to stop my mains from being at least in some part "full range" and anything I gain with the velodyne sms-1 will be negated when I have six RF-7's throwing bass all over the place.

You guys at outlaw must be pretty lucky, I don't know where to go with this problem, other than fix it myself by buying another new receiver, I do not want to stick my dealer with this one as I like the relationship I have with him now and don't want to strain it for such a small thing. But I do want it fixed, I didn't spend all this money just to be tripped at the finish line. I've been holding out on a pre-pro due to the fact that I've been buying tons of other stuff, and that they don't have quite the features I want yet (not that the rxv-757 did, it was just a temporary fix).

I think the yamaha has a problem with bass mangement but I don't expect them to admit it.
Time will tell I guess, and if I'm wrong I will have no problem admitting that. I'll try my best on this end to clear up any user error. Sadly what I thought would be easy is turning out not to be. frown

#74386 - 01/25/06 05:00 PM Re: Dual subs & sms-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you've got a good relationship with your Yamaha dealer, I'd suggest taking your SMS-1 and mic into his store and giving it a whirl on some other gear there - Yamaha and/or another brand. I suspect the "geeky gadget" appeal of the SMS-1 will help make the experiment appealing to him, and he might be able to help you with the receiver without getting himself stuck.

#74387 - 01/25/06 10:50 PM Re: Dual subs & sms-1
HTADDICT Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Minot ND
Sounds like a logical idea, thanks gonk. Solid advice through and through! I imagine they might like to get to toy around with it, I bought both the receiver and the sms-1 from them and they seemd pretty interested when it came in. I never even thought of takeing that approach. Maybe if they get interesteded in it, I might get my problem fixed also. I'll post results after I get it set up if the are game for it.

Thanks for all the help from everyone here, and Gonk....you da man!

#74388 - 01/25/06 11:22 PM Re: Dual subs & sms-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

If they sold you the SMS-1, I'd have absolutely no qualms about going back to the store with your unit and giving it a spin - they ought to be quite agreeable to tucking it into a demo room for a bit, and if they haven't played with one before I suspect they'd enjoy it once you got things rolling. Glad I could help.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts